The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » My Dog Ate My Homework (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: My Dog Ate My Homework
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2010 06:20 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Im way behind the rest of the world, always. I have never looked at, let alone bought or sold, anything on EBay. No idea how it works.

I have recently figgered out Craigslist and that is pretty kewl. I have bought and sold several things there.

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2010 06:54 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Same here with EBay. No idea how it is supposed to work. What works pretty well for me is when I see an old call that I'm interested in, I pass the item number on to my evil daughter who then does the bidding thing, and may or may not win the auction. This is an ongoing thing........then when Xmass, birthday, father's day, etc. comes around I may not know for sure what I'm going to get, but I know that it'll be something that I want. [Cool]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
fgf4
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2010 07:49 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Check out EBay under 'Predator Call'. I've seen FoxPro 416s w/remote go for under a hundred bucks.
A 416b with a 610TOA speaker added works great!!!! You will have to have the little additional unit(PGA1 adapter)to change your own sounds, though.

Here's the one I put together using a small pelican waterproof case. Does everything I want in an ecaller! Very loud and clear.

-

Nikonut

IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2010 08:36 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that treebark? On the speaker, that's treebark, ain't it?

Andy, you want to haul this one into the back room, he's all yours.

[Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

They never learn!

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2010 08:38 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, let him go, I was just feeling a little mean, this morning....

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Randy Roede
"It's Roede, like in Yotie
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2010 12:05 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Yea rereading that it didn't make much sense.

Kind of short on sleep lately, working the night til it gets to hot to hunt schedule.

Andy, I think once you get an E Caller you will wish you had gotten the higher end ones. I would wait and save for that.

It's only money!!

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Posts: 669 | From: Pierre SD | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2010 12:31 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Randy. Not the saving part that is a problem. Just hate to pay for crap I dont need. But, maybe I do need it?

Just to be clear. I have called with a E Caller a lot. Ive owned a few differnt ones over the years. Not new to that at all.

--------------------
Andy

Possumal
HONORARY CALLS FORUM MODERATOR edit: AND TOKEN LIBERAL
Member # 823

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2010 12:58 PM      Profile for Possumal   Author's Homepage   Email Possumal         Edit/Delete Post 
Andy, if you have experience with ecallers, you'll quickly recognize how good the CS-24 is. From the remote's dependability to the crystal clear 24b sounds, you'll be good to go. Pay for quality and only cry a little one time.

--------------------
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Posts: 781 | From: Nicholasville, Ky. | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2010 01:19 PM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
I have busted Mike Dillon's balls over the years, but I made a point,at the expo, to tell him and Steve what a great caller the CS 24 is.

Having owned a WT,JS,Misaska, and now the 24, it is much better for my purposes and that is exactly what I told Mike.

Possum Al out

Posts: 545 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2010 02:09 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with that. I actually have a perfectly good Minaska but I'm going to pick up a CS24 soon. And, I'm going to check with Cal and find out exactly what sounds he has on his and which are his and that's what I want on mine.

Good hunting. LB

PS I'm not really predisposed to push Foxpro, either, but I think they have a good product at a good, or at least competitive price. If they want to send me one at a deep discount, I'd use it. Not too proud.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2010 03:33 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I guess I might as well bite my lip and give the bastards the money.

I guess all those coyotes that died with that old JS tape player and that cheap assed WR and all the other calls must have been dipshits. LOL

Funny thing. Everyone makes fun of Tim and his way of calling spinning the call around his head. (I cant believe I am saying this.) One of the two best callers I have ever made a stand with, one guy on here will know exactly who Im talkin about, does that. He has a cheapy Cass Creek call that sounds like shit, hooked to a big horn speaker of some sort with a short cord. He sets up and turns that loud SOB on and turns it 360 around his head for about 30 seconds and shuts it off for a good 10 minutes. If nothing comes, he does it again. Then before leaving blows a Pee Wee call a few licks and waits about 5 minutes before moving on. We killed a few coyotes, under tough conditions, the week I hunted with him. But he kills more coyotes than anyone I know, save the ADC guys like Cal and Randy, and probably about even with Q.

Anyway, he is another reason that Im not totally sold on the biggest and best. Ill quit arguing, however this has been a good off season discussion and I got a good lesson and some great opinions. Thanks guys.

And Im sorry for making the statement that kinda sorta validates Tims way. That hurt bad.

[ June 29, 2010, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: Andy L ]

--------------------
Andy

Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2010 04:28 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to add something. The fella I was talking about above told me something. After watching each other pick stands, or sets, or whatever it was we decided to call them, told me something I took to heart. He said the reason he kills so many more coyotes than most folks are for a few reasons. His job allows him to be off in the winter and he makes lots of stands in an area that has a lot of good furred coyotes. He hunts hard, makes good selections for stand locations and is an above average shot. He claims those things are much more important than the sound.

I think there is a lot of merit to that. But, thats just a mans opinion. I give it a lot of weight because he does better than I do, even though we dont hunt that much different.

--------------------
Andy

TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2010 04:53 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
Where to buy used, well hell...that's PM you bone head [Big Grin] Used ecallers come and go as fast as members over there.

If you're not set on any one brand, here's a pretty good product for the price, and it's on craisglist, so I know you can handle from there.
http://lincoln.craigslist.org/spo/1814634286.html

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2010 05:31 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
TR, I know I may be ignorant to that, but I havent spent enough time on PM to even know what goes on. Never looked at their classifieds. I just went there to watch train wrecks. LMAO

Thanks for the Craigslist link. That does look like a hell of a deal.

--------------------
Andy

Randy Roede
"It's Roede, like in Yotie
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2010 06:41 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Excuse me, [Cool] I must have logged into the FP website by mistake!!

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Posts: 669 | From: Pierre SD | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2010 07:12 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Andy,

It's pretty much the consensus of this crowd that sound is secondary to everything else you mentioned, and to that I agree, with one exception.

One advantage an e-caller gives you that no handheld call can do is reproduce true coyote vocalizations. I ran a MAD Minaska Ultimate One through the wringer this past season and was asked, once the dust cleared, for my input on what were its pluses, its minuses, and what I would like to see done to make the unit and product line better. I'm not that big on all the various and sundry whistles and bells. Like Randy, I want it to go when I say "go", and whoa when I say "whoa". Beyond that, I try to keep it simple and logical. I did make some recommendations to address what I thought were needed improvements to the remote and to the caller itself, and am aware somewhat of some pretty impressive tech changes to be released in upcoming new models, but the very first thing I told the guys with whom I was working that they needed is that they absolutely MUST get a source for coyote vocalizations, regardless of what doing so would cost them. True honest-to-God coyote howls, etc., will make the cost of any good e-caller worth the money. Probably one of the most enjoyable and impressive exchanges I had with a group of coyotes came this year when I had my UltOne running an mp3 of a real coyote challenge barking while I did frantic pup distress on a Power Howler. Had the entire damned group just going nuts in front of us.

As an aside, here's how to work Ebay and get what you want. It's called "sniping" and it requires the fastest possible internet connection you can get.

One every item, there is a list of bidders showing what they've bid since the item was first listed. They don't put the entire name any longer, but you can easily discern who is who from the list and if you study their bids, you can easily tell what kind of spender they are. Guys that bid a buck at a time are in it for the short term with little strategy.

Look at the item and determine just how much you're willing to pay, maximum. Include the shipping listed in your bid. Note the time when the item's auction will end and make a note of it near your computer, date and time. Note that the times listed are in Pacific time, so do the math so you don't show up 2-3 hours late.

Now, with your max bid in hand, mark the item where noted for "watch this item" so you can get back to it in a hurry when the time comes.

Fifteen minutes before the auction ends, go back and see where it is. If the current bid is past your max, move on. If it isn't, log in (you need to register on the site) and stand at the ready. I watch the bid listing and refresh every thirty seconds until I get into the last two or three minutes, then I refresh as often as my computer will go. Make sure you're watching your own clock or watch to know the very second the auction will end. This is critical. When I'm about a minute out, I enter the max bid I've determined and hit "submit". Ebay will ask me to confirm my bid and I watch my clock until there's only about ten seconds left in the auction, then hit "confirm". On my cable internet connection, it only takes about three seconds for my computer to talk to theirs and my bid is confirmed and logged into the auction record, often as the winner. I just sniped all the other bidders and they didn't even know I was lurking.

An example, let's say an M-1 is up for auction and the current high bid is $195.00 plus $14.00 S/H. I know the unit is probably worth $250, so I'll go as high as $236 as my high bid. Five minutes from the end, the bid is still $195, so I enter and submit $236. AT ten seconds, or a minute or wherever you feel comfortable, you hit "confirm" and your high bid of $236 is logged in. If no one else is fighting for it, and the bid increments are, say, $5, your bid of $200 (their 195 plus your 5) will enter in and that will be your winning bid. Your high bid is how high they'll bid as proxy on your behalf, but they won't automatically submit that bid unless it is needed. This works really well if the other guys are only bidding, say $5 up at a time. They won't have time to knock you out inside that last ten seconds. Yes, it's ruthless, but I've yet to lose an auction doing it this way, and I was taught this by an Ebay master. LOL

[ June 29, 2010, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
fgf4
unknown comic

Icon 10 posted June 30, 2010 01:40 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Lance,

That's a fun way to bid but if you want something just bid your highest possible bid on the last day and watch it... if someone wants it for more than you are willing to bid that's fine, let them have it! LOL

I post my maximun bid and just let it happen... you can't snipe someone that posts their maximum bid! If you bid higher you could have done that right from the start. [Roll Eyes]

Nikonut [Big Grin]

fgf4
unknown comic

Icon 6 posted June 30, 2010 01:50 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is that treebark? On the speaker, that's treebark, ain't it?

Hey Leonard! If you get a CS-24 I'll send you some of my stash of treebark material to cover your speaker... Then you can be COOL like me!

The CS-24 uses the same speaker as the one shown. I used 3-M spray adhesive to put it on. Does a nice job of deadening the tinny sound if you bump the speaker on anything walking into a stand.

Nikonut [Razz]

DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted June 30, 2010 07:55 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Andy,

I'm not a FoxPro spokesperson by any means. I had a FX-3 for a couple of years and Mike Dillon had it for a while on and off at his shop. There wasn't anyone madder at FoxPro's equipment than me. It seems like every time I would drive 1500 miles and plant my ass on AZ sand, that damn caller would quit working. Happened once when Vic took me calling too.

Mike told me to send it back and he would give me any model they made for an even trade. I had a used Scorpion and a TOA speaker which worked well so I decided that the CS 24 should fill the ticket. It has been to AZ twice and still works, imagine that. Someday I'll have to actually read the manual and figure out how to program it, and how to work the dern thing other than just playing a sound or adjusting volume.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted June 30, 2010 05:03 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Niko-

That's a sound strategy, but if the other guy is willing to go higher than you are, but hasn't posted his absolute max (that's where studying the bid history comes in handy), you might trigger a bidding rally that runs the price up when the other bidders panic. By sniping them in that last few seconds, you tend to avoid that. I don't bid on anything unless I really want it anyway, so I'm not interested in getting into a bidding war in the last hours.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
fgf4
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 30, 2010 10:32 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Good point Lance...

I'm pretty much the same way. I've seen some crazy bidding wars! I've been on ebay since their beginnings.

I only bid as much as I'm willing to pay including shipping. Sometimes it's cheaper to just go to the store and buy new! LOL

Nikonut

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters