The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » Upgrading the e-caller (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Upgrading the e-caller
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2006 09:59 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
browning204,
Pleased rest assured that most complaints regarding the WT caller has nothing to do with the machine. It is all about the man who owns the company. [Smile]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2006 09:59 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry about that, Browning. If it happens, it happens. You just have to realize that this is another Ford/Chevy issue and people will always have their preferences.

I have a couple of hunting buddies that use the WT. What can I say about it, other than it sounds good? The rest of my opinions could be considered somewhat negative.

Sorting out the various claims from Foxpro, Wildlife Tech, Minaska, JS, etceteras.... FINE. I'm listening.

Arguing about it is very similiar to discussions about seventeen caliber as a proper coyote cartridge; you hardly ever change an opinion, but you sure get to voice your own opinions.

By the way, I had a very interesting conversation with Albert, up in Canada last week. His particular "yuk yuk" was the solemn pronouncements we read all the time claiming that a 17 was (at least) perfect for foxes! He's right, of course. A seventeen generally blows them in half, but it sounds reasonable; eh? (that's Canadian)

I also might add that Albert wasn't very impressed with my Minaska. [Frown]

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2006 10:58 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard you had to bring up the seventeen again. I don't think you should believe everything that Albert says. I just bought a Banit big country a few weeks ago and its not a bad unit. The only thing i don't like about it is the sounds that came with it. I have spent three days getting my sounds into it and now its a much better unit. The big country is easey to operate and not to heavey for carrying around, and was'nt to hard to down load sounds into it.
Now the seventeen issue about cutting fox in half. If you make a badd hit you will get some damage, but not as badd as the 22 cal or larger cal. make. take a close look at these pic's. Do you see any large holes or the guts hanging out. http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/TA17Rem/IMG_0256.jpg[/IMG]]  - http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/TA17Rem/foxonfloor.jpg[/IMG]]  - http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/TA17Rem/Tim4fox.jpg[/IMG]]  -

[ December 22, 2006, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5068 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jrbhunter
PAYS ATTENsION TO deTAIL
Member # 459

Icon 14 posted December 22, 2006 11:11 AM      Profile for Jrbhunter   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh hell, we just drug the 17Rem into a WT debate!

Tim- I see a gut hanging out. [Razz]

Posts: 615 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2006 11:35 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Jason, Tim was talking about the foxes. [Smile]
IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2006 12:05 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
It's called an analogy, people. Some are imperfect.

So, the seventeen doesn't blow foxes in half, any more than other cartridges, right?

Everything I ever thought I knew, is completely incorrect, when it comes to seventeens!

They always kill coyotes stone dead without any visible damage. They hold better in the wind than any other cartridge, and have far less drop. They don't require frequent cleaning of the barrel, far from it! Never get a runner, becaue of surgically precise placement, ie: exceptional accuracy. Zero recoil, allowing you to see every hit (no misses, of course)

Just forget it. I'd go on, but I don't want to hijack this very informative five page thread. [Smile] Never been accused of that before!

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2006 12:52 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
TA17Rem,
Mighty fine looking foxes you have there. You are lucky to have that new Minaska "Big Country" with it's speaker/amp combo. The ability to suddenly turn up the volume so loud that the foxes die of the shock is really worth the extra bucks. [Smile]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2006 03:41 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Everything I ever thought I knew, is completely incorrect, when it comes to seventeens!
Now thats true Leonard, but i can see from what you just posted you are catching on. [Big Grin]
I don't no why the seventeens perform like they do, but as far as i'm concerned they do it very well. What i really get a kick out of is when I'm hunting with the crew and i make a 400 yard shot on a coyote. And then one of the guys will ask: are you still shooting that dam seventeen. LOL
By the way the rest of the guys on the crew shoot big bores, 22-250, 243, 243 imp, and one uses a 300 W.M. Every year i kill just as many as them...
Thanks for the compliment Rich. I will be heading for S.D. next week and we will see how well it performs out in the open country. I'm takeing the cronk screamer and howler along for back-up.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2006 03:48 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry, Tim. I'm just yanking your chain. By the way, those are nice fox.

I saw five red fox Tuesday, (up in Canada) and one on the Navajo Re$, the week before. That's a first, never seen a red fox in the field, in 50 some years?

If a 17 works for you, I'm happy for you.

Good hunting. LB

[ December 22, 2006, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2006 04:07 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats ok Leonard, i was kinda yanking on youre chain as well.. LOL
How come you did'nt shoot a couple of those red fox? They make a real nice trophy, and would look good on youre wall..

--------------------

stevecriner
UNKNOWN-before he was famous?
Member # 892

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2006 06:35 PM      Profile for stevecriner   Email stevecriner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Leonard!!! I havent even seen 50 years..... [Razz] But im workin on it..28 is a few weeks away.. [Razz] [Cool] [Cool] [Cool]

--------------------
"I love coyotes and put up with dogs....My neighbor has a slew of them."

Posts: 321 | From: missouri | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nahuatl
Knows what it's all about
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted December 23, 2006 04:43 PM      Profile for Nahuatl   Email Nahuatl         Edit/Delete Post 
Not only are those gorgeous foxes, but it seems to me Tim that the one you are holding is huge.
Posts: 202 | From: Mount Gleason, Angeles NF | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 23, 2006 05:53 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Nahuatl: Thanks...
The foxes you see are all males and yes they do get pretty big up here. The fox in second pic. we call a runner, its hard to tell in these pic's but that fox legs are alot longer than average fox. Some guys from a town nearby chased him around all winter and could never catch him. i bought them a few drinks one night to loosen up their tongues and the next day i went after him.
He was a fast one thats for sure, he made it back to his hole before i could cut him off. When he got to the hole i let out a loud whistle and got him to look back and that gave me and the 17 enough time to get the job done.

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters