The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » Ladders (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Ladders
catskin
Knows what it's all about
Member # 51

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2003 12:54 PM      Profile for catskin           Edit/Delete Post 
Ladders

I haven’t heard much mention of them since the Posse Country days. Does anybody here use them? I, myself have never tried it; I mean have a reputation to keep. I would have to be by myself, and drive *way* out into the pucker brush in a snow storm and hope like hell one of my friends never saw me!

I do know some area’s though that have old growth sage, maybe +6 ft tall and so thick you couldn’t see a coyote within 30 feet, it might look a lot different looking down on it.

Posts: 76 | From: Oregon | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2003 01:20 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I agree. Plus where am I going to put one?

The application I see is high chaparral and creasote.

But, you might notice that Bill Rice, hunting partner of "ladder man" Michael McCasland has joined us. He is, without a doubt, a very good source for tips and strategy.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Q-Wagoner
FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2003 02:14 PM      Profile for Q-Wagoner           Edit/Delete Post 
I think if you look carefully at most ladders it says plainly on the top two steps “DO NOT SIT OR STAND.” I think they put that there for a reason. Personally I don’t think I would feel comfortable spinning around on top of a six-foot ladder trying to keep my balance and shoot at the same time. Call me crazy.

Good hunting.

Q,

Posts: 617 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2003 03:24 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Q, I think some guys just stand high enough to rest the gun on the top, only one or two steps off the ground. At least that's what Jay Nistetter told me once?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Bill
Member # 49

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2003 04:38 PM      Profile for Bill           Edit/Delete Post 
Catskin,

To answer your question, I use a ladder. I have now for several years. Prior to me using a ladder I knew several club member here in Tucson that used ladders. At the time I thought they must be some of the craziest guys I had ever met. After I started using a ladder I was certain they were, but now so was I. All the negative commments so far are absolutely correct. However using a ladder entends the field of view or allows stands to be made where most other callers will not waste their time on for lack of visibility. There's the advantage.

Bill

Posts: 55 | From: Tucson | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Q-Wagoner
FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2003 05:11 PM      Profile for Q-Wagoner           Edit/Delete Post 
I never thought about that possibility Leonard. The picture I remember seeing a while back was someone dressed up in some kind of “leafy type” camo perched on top of one like a turkey buzzard. All I can remember thinking when I saw that is that I would probably read a head line one day that would go something like this.

“Deranged hunter dressed like a bush found dead at the foot of a ladder.”

Late Thursday afternoon a group of hikers came upon a gruesome discovery. A man dressed up like a bush, “with a gun,” was found dead lying beside a latter in the desert of Arizona. Authorities are baffled. All though suicide has not been ruled out, one detective reports that the man would surely be a prime candidate for the Darwin awards. Alcohol may have played a role in the death……

Good hunting.

Q,

Posts: 617 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2003 11:14 AM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
As Leonard said, I use the top of the ladder to rest my elbows on.

I use a piece of die cut camo cloth for the front of the ladder to make it invisible, so it works well in wide open country too.

A guy in camo clothes carying a rifle and ladder sure causes some strange looks from both coyotes and people. There's no doubt that it scares people way more than coyotes.

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Seldom Ever
Member # 185

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2003 01:07 PM      Profile for Seldom Ever   Email Seldom Ever         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Q, don't knock the ghillie suit till you've tried it in the deep woods [Big Grin] [Big Grin] , those things really work,on all kinds of game! Much better than plain cammo!

--------------------
One Shot,One Kill.

Posts: 293 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted May 09, 2003 05:48 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You must be a new guy around here, SE? Everyone knows that Jay hunts in plaid shirts and Marlboros, but he don't move.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Seldom Ever
Member # 185

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2003 06:17 PM      Profile for Seldom Ever   Email Seldom Ever         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably easy to do in the desert,where most everything is long range shooting [Big Grin]

I'll bet he sits on his horse most of the time and in winter he wears a sherpa lined jacket with a high collar and a 10 gallon hat, right [Big Grin] ?

Heck yeah I'm new here Leonard, I don't know squat about predator hunting, but I do know a bit about hunting in general,especially in the piney woods,where everything gets short range and almost personal [Big Grin] !!

[ May 09, 2003, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: Seldom Ever ]

--------------------
One Shot,One Kill.

Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2003 09:34 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
SE, I quit hunting years ago. I let them hunt me. Hmmm. Maybe that's your problem.LOL

!!Afterthought!! Most shots in the desert are 75 yards down to within a couple feet. Let me qualify that some. Most SUCCESSFUL shots are....

Timber country isn't any different than other areas as far as predator hunting goes. First you gotta be in an area where dogs are. Second you gotta make a half-convincing sound. Third you gatta stay still. Fourth you gotta be careful where you lay your cigarette down before you take a shot.

[ May 09, 2003, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: Jay Nistetter ]

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Seldom Ever
Member # 185

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2003 02:52 AM      Profile for Seldom Ever   Email Seldom Ever         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhhhhh, but timber country has a whole lot of something that desert doesn't...and that is cover,lots of it.

Thanks for the tips though Jay,much obliged.No worries on the cigs, hadn't had a smoke in 6 years or liquor in 14. I know you were just pulling my leg anyhow, can't see many people smoking and killing much of anything that has a nose.

[ May 10, 2003, 02:54 AM: Message edited by: Seldom Ever ]

--------------------
One Shot,One Kill.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2003 08:41 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
He's not pulling your leg about smoking on stand.

I haven't smoked in thirteen years or so, but before that, I killed just as many while smoking as not? No data, unfortunately. Maybe fortunately? Actually, I favored the Hava-Tampa Jewels; a much needed wooden tip to chew on after they went out; but I suppose they still stink, to a coyote's nose? You can suck a lot of flavor out of that tip, lasts for hours.

Forests, in general, are bad locations for hunting predators. You have to play the cards you are delt, but if you have any options, get out of that dense growth.

Interesting. The conceptions and misconceptions about western conditions. Arizona doesn't deserve the "desert" label, it's actually lush, compared to most of Nevada.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Seldom Ever
Member # 185

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2003 08:53 AM      Profile for Seldom Ever   Email Seldom Ever         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah,guess I should have used the term "near barren landscape".

No getting around the timber, except to hunt the thicketed edges of corn fields,overgrown clear cuts,etc.

I smoked cigs for 35 years, and after I quit I started seeing a lot more deer.I think there are 2 factors to account for that,less smell,and less movement on stand.

--------------------
One Shot,One Kill.

pup
Member # 90

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2003 11:27 AM      Profile for pup           Edit/Delete Post 
I was very skeptical of ladders, I made what I call a coyote pod out of tubing, put a swivel seat on it. I made one for OK257, also. He shot one out of his, jury is still out for me. He said she never had a clue. It has its place though, especially in tall grass or weeds etc.

later pup

Posts: 213 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2003 05:09 PM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
Seldom, I shared your preconception of the Arizona landscape until I got the opportunity to actually hunt down there. My buddy and I selected areas that had a little contour to them from a map, thinking we would need the contour for concealment. Turned out we called in brush that was taller than we are. We didn’t have to worry about hiding the truck. We killed the majority of our coyotes with shotguns. When things went down the action was fast. In most cases we didn’t see the coyote until it was already within shotgun range. That is a big contrast from some areas in Nevada or Utah that the brush is only ankle high. The cover is there it just isn’t the same shade of GREEN you might be used to. [Smile]

Misting with Marlboro…..interesting, I have always used it as a cover scent but never thought about misting with it. [Big Grin]

A portable tree-stand, I can see where that could open up a few areas for calling. I haven’t tried it. Something to consider though.

Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Seldom Ever
Member # 185

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2003 05:32 PM      Profile for Seldom Ever   Email Seldom Ever         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info,that's why I joined these forums,to learn.

--------------------
One Shot,One Kill.

Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2003 10:24 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
I have considered a portable treestand but I think it would be hard to clunk my way up a tree with it, and not have the coyotes bust me... I'd have to only sit on that stand all day, after having pre-set the stand like deer hunters do.

We may have to do that, at the place where the coyotes steal the cats and lure the dogs away, but I think it'd be difficult to use in a drive, walk, set-up, walk back to truck, and drive scenario.

Perhaps a set of semi permenant tree stands, along a ridgetop road might be a good idea.
I recently saw a set of tree stands made from a sheet of plywood cut in half and then into triangles.
I'll work on getting a drawing done, or better yet do a search on treestands, and see what I can come up with.

Jeff  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Seldom Ever
Member # 185

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2003 10:45 AM      Profile for Seldom Ever   Email Seldom Ever         Edit/Delete Post 
hey krusty,you have hotmail e-mail,have you checked it yet,I've been waiting on an answer about our trade ? [Big Grin]

--------------------
One Shot,One Kill.

WolverineAtWork
Member # 23

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2003 08:36 AM      Profile for WolverineAtWork           Edit/Delete Post 
I certainly wouldn't call myself an expert when it comes to hunting from a ladder. Everything I know about it I learned from Robb/Scottsdale.

I have found it to be a great asset in the environment I hunt. I don't often get the chance to travel too far to hunt, so I end up hunting just outside populated areas. The best coyote densities are in those areas that are too thick w/ brush for people to ATV or hunt anything else in.

The ladder opens up a great deal of possibilities that would otherwise go unexploited.

As far as how I perch, it depends on what my background is. If I've got a nice tall mesquite to back up against, I'll sit right up on top. I'm not too worried about falling as I jump up and down on the bottom rungs before climbing, and I straddle the seat so I can pivot to track a coyote from any direction as well as make sure my feet are under me if the sand gives out. Hasn't been a problem so far.

Being on a ladder makes for some interesting reactions from coyotes though. Robb and I had two charge in w/ reckless abandon, the latter of the two figured out something was wrong when he was under Robb's ladder.

The one in this pic just sat there and watched me as I climbed back up the ladder and shot him in the head @80 yds. I had already gotten down after the stand when I saw him.
It gives you an idea of the brush and cactus I call in.
 -

[ May 14, 2003, 08:38 AM: Message edited by: WolverineAtWork ]

Posts: 87 | From: AZ | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
catskin
Member # 51

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2003 11:46 AM      Profile for catskin           Edit/Delete Post 
WolverineAtWork, were you sitting on the ladder right there like it's setup in the photo?

That would give me the same feeling as going to a highschool dance with my fly open [Smile]

[ May 14, 2003, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: catskin ]

Posts: 76 | From: Oregon | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2003 07:44 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
We've always had a fun time talking about camo for predator hunting.I have always said and continue to believe CAMO is very overrated.A way for companies to make a buck.Although they make quite a fashion statement,I think you will do just fine without it.The extent of my camo is blue jeans,and either a carhart jacket,or my old woodland,or desert camo military coats,that's it and the coyotes don't seem to mind one bit.They just keep comin in.So if ya want to look cool that's one thing but to say you will call up more animals because you have the best camo, I don't buy it. [Wink] GOOD HUNTING CO
Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2003 08:14 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but. Chad, camo is a thing that really doesn't matter, if it gives the hunter confidence. Matter of fact, most of the time, I just throwon a M60 field jacket, myself. The coyote never sees the blue jeans.

Camo flashlights and underwear are for the hardcore.

Point being: discussing the finer points of predator hunting relies on opinion more than necessity. I leave the advice to others, I only state my personal opinion on the subject and leave it at that.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Seldom Ever
Member # 185

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2003 08:31 AM      Profile for Seldom Ever   Email Seldom Ever         Edit/Delete Post 
Guess I'm just more confident with cammo,and I think that makes a big difference,the amount of confidence you have in yourself and your weapon on a given day.

Ever get up to go hunting,hit the woods,and immediately it comes to you that that particular day is going to be a good day,before you've seen anything yet,and it turns out to be a great day ? I think a lot of that is just a high confidence level for that day.

I honestly think cammo makes a big difference in duck hunting, most likely because those ducks have a top down view. I have learned over the years that turkeys and deer are more alert to movement than anything else.Still,I feel better using cammo,generally I do.

--------------------
One Shot,One Kill.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2003 09:21 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
To clarify, there are those items that will help, those that will hurt and those that don't matter a whole lot....depending.

Help:
good stand selection, good area, accurate rifle, etc.

Hurt:
movement, smoking, noise, etc.

Don't matter:
style of dress, all things being equal, caliber, type of call.

Depending:
brand of camo, and how you use it.

I think that camo, while calling from a ladder, is more advantagous than when sitting in front of a bush.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters