The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » What do you want in a call?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What do you want in a call?
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2004 06:49 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you look for in a call, custom or otherwise? Do you collect more for looks or functionability?

Does a call design being proven successful in the field make it more desirable? Likewise, does it matter if a call hasn't seen field time and is being marketed without testing first?

Please tell me just what you're looking for when you shop to add one more call to your collection?

I'll go first... I like a good solid call - one that sits well in my hand and has some heft to it. I like a call to produce quality sound at both ends of both scales - soft to loud, low to high. I like a call that is easy to use and doesn't require that you put it in the side of your mouth "just right", upside down, or whatever. It's not important to me that a call is aesthetically pleasing, but it helps. After all, I've never bought a car because I liked the hubcaps, but I prefer them to have caps, rims or something so they, at least, look nice. In short, I oike a call that sounds goods, plays good, and makes me sound good.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2004 04:03 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have the formula, but I know what feels good in my hand, and what doesn't. Some calls are easier to squall, for instance. I like the mouthpiece on a Circe, as opposed to the trumpet type, in a closed reed. An open reed shouldn't need to be reformed, constantly. Like with a Bill Austin, it always seems to curl up at the tip. I like strong material, won't crack the barrel if you sit down with the call in your back pocket. I like a temperature stable call material, so the reed don't fall out. I like a well sealed wood call, so it doesn't absorb all that spit. I like everything rounded, no sharp edges. I don't want a bell shape on the end of the barrel. Straight or tapered is prefered. I want a call that will allow hard blowing, as opposed to the call that works with a low volume of air. I like a raspy tone in some calls and a clear high pitch in others. I don't expect one call to do it all.

Other than that, I've never been too fussy.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31478 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2004 10:24 PM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
I like a call that fits my hand that is easily manipulated and doesn’t take a lot of wind to blow. Odd shapes and sizes seem to force me to adapt my style and technique to the call so most of my odd shaped calls stay home on the shelf a lot of the time. I prefer a simple round mouthpiece but have and do use calls with the Circe style. I use mostly closed reed distress calls mostly because the open reed calls that I have used seem to take a lot of wind to get them going.

Missed the questions

I collect mostly for practicality. I do have and will have some calls that will call a coyote or two and go to a display case.

As far as field tested goes I don’t know. I guess it would depend on who was marketing it.

[ May 24, 2004, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: Bryan J ]

Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curt2u
Knows what it's all about
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2004 04:04 AM      Profile for Curt2u   Email Curt2u         Edit/Delete Post 
Reliability and versatility are #1 for me. If it looks good too, that's ok with me. [Smile]
Posts: 236 | From: NW | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Norm
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2004 11:37 AM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
I want a call that when carried around my neck or in my pocket is guaranteed to call predators, without alot of effort on my part....

Mental telepathy type calls; think the sound and the distress and the tastiness of that little critter to the point that the predator gets the same image and comes a running looking for that supper table oasis.

so now back to reality....

calls that are easy to master... high pitch producing calls are my preference...

I as for collecting, I don't.. i carry with me everything I have... exotic wood, plastic, rubber coated, antler based, metal based; open reed , closed reed, latex reeds, metal reeds, plastic reeds....

I may some day start putting some aside and not use them, but I'll probably give them away before then....

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Posts: 778 | From: Phx AZ | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
howler
Member # 197

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2004 09:40 PM      Profile for howler   Email howler         Edit/Delete Post 
I like a call that will not lock up at high pressure, I like a call that will produce a steady increase in volume with out cracking. and responds to low pressure as well. and of course it has to feel good in your hand fits comfortable

[ June 20, 2004, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: howler ]

--------------------
Powder River let'r Buck

Posts: 53 | From: Glasgow, Montana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted June 27, 2004 05:18 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
99% of the time I use a open reed call.What I look for in a call is 1)Durability(will it last,and hold up under all of my calling situations)
2)Reliability(will the sounds remain consistant,no break ups and freeze ups on the stand while calling)
3)Flexability(can I change sounds very quickly,with very little movement)
That's why for many many years I have used and continue to use the Sceery AP-7 open reed call.I think it is one of the best calls on the market.I can use rabbit distress sounds,coyote pup distress sounds,and coyotes pup howls all with one call.They are also the most durable calls I've used.GOOD HUNTING C.O

Posts: 1626 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters