The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » E:caller loop length

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: E:caller loop length
NASA
Knows what it's all about
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted July 31, 2005 12:15 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Is it as important as some make it out to be? There seems to be two schools of thought regarding loop length. Some callers "keep it real" and only play distress sounds in short bursts, exactly as a wounded animal would. Then there are those who turn it on and just let it run continuously, or until an animal is sighted. I've never heard a live rabbit squeal for more than a few seconds, and I've made a lot of them squeal over the years. Could it be coyotes aren't really as clever as we give them credit to be? Could a 10-15 minute long rabbit squeal really sound "normal" to them?
Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted July 31, 2005 12:26 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
I look at the loop length as a comfort to me, I don't think it matters to a predator. Short loops, are repetitious and will drive me nuts listening to them. I like the longer loops.

As for continuous play VS the off and on style. I play continuous, I've found that the coyote is more likely to come straight in to a continuous sound, while a start and stop sound will cause more coyotes to circle to the down wind side.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted July 31, 2005 02:19 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
I was curious what others opinions were. It's rare that I use the ecaller for an entire stand. Usually, it's just used after the coyote is spotted. I've tried playing continuously but it seemed to cause them to hang up and just sit and listen to it. With hand calls, they seem more inclined to come in closer to investigate. So when I use the ecaller, I follow the same pattern. Works for me.
Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 31, 2005 02:21 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I really feel that the longer loop length is of interest primarily to the hunter. The animals just don't seem to pick up on it, like you think they would.

As far as continuous play versus pauses, as you would have in the real world. Continuous play is much more effective. I KNOW it doesn't seem logical, but it works; and it works better than realistic pauses.

Hand calls are a different situation. As a human, you really cannot help mixing it up, and I agree with that. Pauses and loud sequences and quiet dying sounds are the way to go.

Don't try to make sense of it, it seems contradictory, but it's good advice.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31498 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted July 31, 2005 09:26 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,

About the only experience I have with an e-caller is with that old style foxpro that was given to me by Dave's little girl. it was used almost exclusively down in Trinidad with Barry, and of the coyotes we saw come in, all ran straight to the caller! We'll have to ask Barry, but I don't really recall any hang-ups, I do know several went for down wind though.

WOW! Hear anything from Barry?

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Norm
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2005 06:29 AM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
Longer loops make it better on the human mental mind and ears.

I run my player continously... I may add to it with some hand calls....

In some cases, I will run the player... start with hand calls and then turn the player off... then turn it on when I am ending with the hand calls...

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Posts: 778 | From: Phx AZ | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curt2u
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted August 06, 2005 07:44 AM      Profile for Curt2u   Email Curt2u         Edit/Delete Post 
I too think the longer loop length is more of a comfort to the hunter and doesn't matter much to the animal. The super short loops are irritating to my ear.

As far as intermittent vs continuous, I have had good results with intermittent play and continuous. I probably use intermittent more often though for coyotes.

If you think about it, intermittent with an e-call is no different than handcalling for 30 seconds and pausing for a minute or two. As we all know, intermittent handcalling works very well. I know I can't blow a handcall continuously on stand. If calling intermittent with an e-call, the series in between pauses would be longer of course, but same idea. Normally for coyotes I start a stand with intermittent handcalling and then if using an e-call too, I turn it on very low volume and let it run, occasionally running the volume up and down a little. Often I shut it off for short periods. Not saying this is the right way but it works for me around here.

Watch some of the videos of open country calling and you will notice the coyotes stopping frequently and even holding for periods while the continuous calling is going on and advancing when there is a pause. Think of how many times that coyotes show up right after the first or second short intermittent series before even getting a chance to turn an e-call on. All of this is regarding daytime hunting.

Now on the other hand if a fella was mainly hunting at night, I could probably see where it might be advantageous to stick with continuous play, at least after a predator is spotted. Logic tells me that the continuous play would keep the predator focused in your direction making it easier to keep his eyes illuminated which of course would be desirable.

For large predators I think a guy would be better off sticking with continuous play.

All said and done, it really doesn't matter though. Intermittent or continuous, calling predators is a pretty simple pastime. You hide, you make sounds they like, if they feel like coming... they will, then you shoot. A guy should use whatever method works for him. [Smile]

Good hunting

Posts: 236 | From: NW | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters