The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » Weems replica

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Weems replica
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted September 01, 2005 03:42 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
My first call was a Weems Dual tone purchased from Wally Tabor himself long ago at one of his shows. Called a few coyotes in with it and managed to lose it somewhere below Mt.Wilson. Always liked the sound and have tried to replace it a few times since. Found one...too nice to use. Put it in with the call collection. Found another....it didn't have the squeeker ever installed. Put it in with the collection also.

Recently saw an ad from Dan Thompson for WildCall replicas and the dumb light came on. Contacted them and was informed that it would be no problem to make a replica Dual Tone. Check sent...call received.

Dan does nice work and the call sounds great. It's now on a lanyard with the Lohmans wooden Circe Trophy model. Can't wait to give it a try.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7582 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Knows what it's all about
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted September 01, 2005 09:47 AM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Mt Wilson!!! off of hwy 2? [Smile] Did you ever hunt N-3 between Gorman and Timplen hwy. I also have a Dan Thompson Weems replica, not a dual tone but a great little call. I'm sure you'll have good luck with yours.

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
LionHo
Member # 233

Icon 1 posted September 01, 2005 10:17 AM      Profile for LionHo   Email LionHo         Edit/Delete Post 
Buddy of mine has and still uses a wood Weems rotating turret style from the late 50's or early 60's. (Circe later called their's the Trophy, I picked up one of those in green plastic in the late 80's).

This thread gets me to wondering who got the idea for a rotating turret with three reeds first?

LionHo

Posts: 88 | From: Ventana Wilderness, CA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted September 01, 2005 11:09 AM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
Weems never had a rotating turret call. Jack Cain and Lewis Mossinger of Circe came up with the idea. The first 3-way calls were contracted with a shop in California to make and turned out to be less than adequate. In fact the word 'junk' was used and the 500 that was ordered were placed in a barrel to be burned. Only a very few survived the fire pit. In 1964, Circe marketed and commercially sold the new improved 3-way call and called it the "Professional".

Another 3-way call that comes to mind was made by Pocket Call.

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
LionHo
Member # 233

Icon 1 posted September 01, 2005 12:56 PM      Profile for LionHo   Email LionHo         Edit/Delete Post 
My Bad. Thanks, Jay, for setting me straight. Coulda sworn my bud referred to his as a Weems, but who knows, he's getting along in years.
Posts: 88 | From: Ventana Wilderness, CA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted September 01, 2005 01:10 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
To tell you the truth LH, I had to refresh my memory by looking it up in a book some Yahoo wrote awhile back.

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted September 01, 2005 03:38 PM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
And it's a great book Jay, thanks. When you coming out with #2?

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted September 01, 2005 04:30 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
One coyote, Not sure if it was N2 or not, but the Old Ridge Route between Castaic, past Templin Hwy, & out toward Quail Lake was one of my hunting spots for a long time.

The last that I knew, much of the area behind Castaic had been gated off in an effort to try and stop poaching by the Left's beloved 'Undocumented Migrant Worker.'

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7582 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted September 01, 2005 07:26 PM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
That's the one I think. We use to get lots of grays and bobcats off that road. I was hunting it before Castic lake, Quail lake or Pyramid was there. Don't ask me how long ago that was lol. When I seen Mt Wilson, it kinda brought back old memories, thanks [Wink] [Smile]

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2005 03:38 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
OneCoyote, if Mt. Wilson brought back memories, how about;
Mt Gleason
The Verdugos
Leibre Mt
Little Tunjunga
Jawbone Cyn
The Scodie Mts

--------------------

onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2005 03:48 PM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Been there done most them places lol. Damn, that was a long long time ago. [Frown]

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters