The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » Johnny Stewart PC-1

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Johnny Stewart PC-1
Baldknobber
Knows what it's all about
Member # 514

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2005 04:38 PM      Profile for Baldknobber   Email Baldknobber         Edit/Delete Post 
On a whim, just to have a new call, I bought a Johnny Stewart PC-1 while I was at Bass Pro in Springfield about two weeks ago. Man is that thing versatile! It makes great rabbit sounds, rodent squeaks, and the best puppy whines and whimpers. I have called in three coyotes with it, of which two are now in the happy hunting ground. If you guys want a versatile call that sounds good and is inexpensive give one of these a try. Thanks, Todd.

--------------------
JTBMO

Posts: 202 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Timberghozt
Member # 707

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2005 05:12 PM      Profile for Timberghozt   Author's Homepage   Email Timberghozt         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a few different howlers.Primos,Haydels,Knight and HALe, an Elk Inc I recently bought and a Johny Stewart CH1..Of all of them the CH1 is my favorite.It sounds excellent and really does a number.I take it out on the back porch at night and cut loose with lonesome howls all the time.Its not hard to have every dog in 5 miles howling.Id recomend it to anyone... [Wink]

--------------------
http://www.handloadersbench.com

Posts: 48 | From: Salado, Texas | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2005 05:18 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
If that is the so called "bite call" I love mine? I won it at the Shade Tree BBQ, whenever that was? I use it a lot. (studio quality)

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2005 08:04 PM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
That BBQ was back in 19-- ?...Damn, I forgot too? But it was in the 1900s

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2005 08:53 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, this one was extruded by hand over a charcoal fire.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

keekee
Member # 465

Icon 1 posted October 25, 2005 01:56 AM      Profile for keekee   Author's Homepage   Email keekee         Edit/Delete Post 
The JS PC-1 is a very good call! It will get a wide range of sounds. Does very good bird destress. I keep one on the call lanyard all the time!

Brent

--------------------
Kee's Custom Calls
http://www.keescalls.com

Posts: 295 | From: Southern Ohio | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted October 26, 2005 05:30 AM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that the black plastic bite call that pretty much fits in the palm of your hand? If so, awesome call.

May not be the one I'm thinking of - I want to think that mine is a PC3. They say that the memory is the second thing to go....

Mine never spit locks like other calls of simular design.

Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted October 26, 2005 07:41 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
The PC-1 is the closed reed call with the rubber bite button on the mouthpiece for pitch control. Good call, I have one.
The PC-5, a little, black, flat two piece with a rubber band for a reed is my favorite and I use it for close, hands free work. I keep one in my wallet so I'm never without one.

IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted October 26, 2005 08:55 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Higgy described the PC-1 fairly well. It is a good call alright. Many moons ago, I heard Johnny Stewart blow some mighty fine pup squeals on one of those little gems.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Baldknobber
Member # 514

Icon 1 posted October 26, 2005 06:48 PM      Profile for Baldknobber   Email Baldknobber         Edit/Delete Post 
Well hell, looks like I got you guys all excited over the wrong call. It is the PC-3 that I have with the long two piece mouthpiece. When rich talked about it being the one with the button I said oops. Sorry about the mixup, but even if it is a PC-3, I still think it is a great call. I just about refuse to buy a call that just does only one thing. I like them to be versatile and this one sure is. Sorry for the mixup. Todd

--------------------
JTBMO

Posts: 202 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted October 27, 2005 01:23 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Baldknobber,
The Johnny Stewart PC-3 is my favorite factory produced call.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 27, 2005 01:41 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's the one I have. It is so versatile. I love it.

No hands, even!

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted October 27, 2005 02:05 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
Never knew they made hand calls. Hmmmm.

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted October 27, 2005 04:14 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
The PC-3 is a great call. [Smile] It has the distinction of being the only call (I know of), with a stainless steel reed (not counting JC reeds).

If you like the PC-3, you'll probably like Carlton's Lonesome Cow, elk call (which is my own favorite production call). It is similar to the PC-3, but the bite piece is slightly smaller, softer to bite, and the mylar reed takes less air pressure to run it (but does stick more than the PC-3's stiffer reed).
The body is a little bit smaller too, closer to the "normal" size of a call.

It does cat sounds better than the PC, but not crow sounds. The PC has higher overall volume, but the Carlton's is plenty loud too.
Both are the most versatile calls I can use.
A diaphram mouth call might be better, as far as total number of animal sounds you can make with a single call, but I can only make a gagging sound with one. [Smile]

Which PC-? is the little, black, plastic, trumpet lookin' thingy-bob?

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted November 03, 2005 07:21 PM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on my second PC1, I lost my first PC1 after the second pic was taken February 5th of this year. The first pic is Jan 15th of 2005. These were the last two pics of coyotes I called in with my first PC1.

Jan 15, 2005
 -

Feb 5, 2005
 -

I picked up a new PC1 the evening of the day I lost it, drove 1.5hours round trip to get it, so I could call the next day with it. It's not my only call, just my favorite.

Oh, and on Feb 6th, with the new pc1, I did two stands and the second one called a coyote. I didn't see it, it snuck in on the back side of a brushy fence I was sitting against and barked and barked and barked at me for a few minutes. I was barking back on the PC1, but he wouldn't step out.

It's been on every stand since then, but I've been exclusively using an e-caller I put together and continue to improve.

But I plan to do some non-e stands here really soon with my PC1 and CH1 and hopefully have some good pics.

later,
scruffy

--------------------
Git R Done

Posts: 361 | From: south central Iowa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters