The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » Does anybody use... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Does anybody use...
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 5 posted November 25, 2005 07:45 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
The call (or calls) I made them?

Does anybody, that doesn't have one now, want one?

It'd be neat to see some new pictures this year. [Smile]

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
LionHo
Knows what it's all about
Member # 233

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2005 11:37 PM      Profile for LionHo   Email LionHo         Edit/Delete Post 
One of those nice looking double-open-reed jobs that you used to post pics of over on PM? How much do you want for one of those pups?

LionHo

Posts: 88 | From: Ventana Wilderness, CA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted November 26, 2005 09:54 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
LionHo,

Yes, calls of a similar design as the ones posted on PM, but my skills have improved some since then though. [Wink]

I'm not really lookin' to make a sale here.
I tell ya what, pick a wood, and answer a couple questions;
Cherry, dogwood, holly, flame maple, spalted bigleaf maple, spalted birdseye sugar maple, mesquite (Texas), ****** plum, rhododendron, American walnut, English walnut, or zebrawood.

What's your favorite open reed production call, and what's your least favorite?

With the right answers, a call could go out as soon as Monday. [Big Grin]

As much as anything I just wondered if, once the "newness" of the doubled reed sound wore off, the calls were still seeing much field use.

Also I finally got an upgrade on my computer, so I should be able to (finally) access my website for a long overdue re-write/overhaul, and there's always room for more pictures.

Krusty  -

P.S. I guess part of it too, is the sucess my calls have is one of the things I use to keep on keepin' on (and I'm having trouble staying motivated, it's been a very wet, windy, and rainy fall). [Smile]

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Norm
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted November 27, 2005 08:02 AM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty,

I'll answer your questions, if you answer mine;

Mesquite wood, in a crit'r call pee-wee;

Now how much of a a donation is required, given you are not looking to make a sale...

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Posts: 778 | From: Phx AZ | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted November 27, 2005 08:46 AM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
What is zebra wood? Sounds cool!

Yeah, what Norm' said. Let me know.

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted November 27, 2005 10:32 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Norm,

There is no requirement of a donation, but if you felt like you had to make one, Hunts of a Lifetime is the one I'd put the money in.

Does the Arizona type of mesquite grow around where you live?
I got some of it from Vic once, and it was some of the best looking and sounding wood I ever worked with. I could use some more (and could make you a call from it [Wink] ).

Okay, now you didn't say which is your least favorite?

Locohead,

Zebrawood is an african wood. It has a yellowish heartwood, with contrasting dark bands of grain, that gives it a zebralike striping.

The wood is very expensive, but I got some scraps from a gunstock maker (for free).
Here's a few pictures of zebrawood calls;

-

-

-

I have another call similar to the third one pictured, nearly complete, say the word and it's yours.

Anyone with four critters, and a fifth on the way, well his money is no good here. [Smile] Heck maybe YOU should be the recipient of the donations?

Krusty  -

--------------------

Norm
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted November 27, 2005 11:01 AM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
What type of dimensions do you need on the mesquite wood?? do you want it green or from bulldozer piles?

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Posts: 778 | From: Phx AZ | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
LionHo
Member # 233

Icon 1 posted November 27, 2005 11:13 AM      Profile for LionHo   Email LionHo         Edit/Delete Post 
CritR Call Pee Wee is the commerical call that I like best too; I've called MANY a bobcat, grey fox, and coyote with... even a golden eagle or three. Pretty sure it has to do with the pitchiness, which probably has a lot to do with the density of the green plastic.

It outlasted a whole slew of closed-reed jobs, about which I could more easily fault-find. But come to think of it, I haven't used ANY other brand of open-reed call. Don't have the same affection for the Major's Magnum (though I recorded some good fawn and doe bleats from it, before I broke it experimenting with my own reeds). Do find I like the size and ergonomics of the CritR Call Standard better than the Pee-Wee but the sound is just not quite as pitchy at the top end.

So I suppose I'm not fussy about wood for the cosmetics, and don't much care about it except to ask which is the hardest wood that rings the best? (Highest pitched call you make!)

How about I'll send you a sonagram of the frequencies I can coax out of your call, and an archival-quality portrait of the next bobcat I call close with it--fair 'nuff trade, Krusty?

LionHo

[ November 27, 2005, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: LionHo ]

Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted November 28, 2005 07:09 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Norm,

You know, I dunno which Vic sent me?

I guess some "down and dry" is the best way to go, as long as it's not really cracked, but I dunno how fast the bugs and rot get to it there?

Vic sent me a piece about the size of my forearm (with the bark on it), and there was a fair amount of calls in it.

LionHo,

I've got a pretty good idea what your looking for in a call, and I have a piece of "indigenous" plum that will be perfect for it. [Smile]

You know what might make a better trade though?
If you can burn a CD, I could sure use one with some calling sounds (for 'cats).
And you are "the man" with the sounds after all. [Big Grin]

Not that I wouldn't appreciate a good picture to add to my collection. I'd just never want to put the pressure of our deal onto your "gettin er done" out there in the field.

Krusty  -

[ November 28, 2005, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: Krustyklimber ]

--------------------

LionHo
Member # 233

Icon 1 posted November 28, 2005 09:07 PM      Profile for LionHo   Email LionHo         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a winner of a deal to me.

Say, did Leonard ever set anything up so that we find each other here on HM without posting our email address hanging out all buck nekkid so that we don't suddenly get blasted with yet another 50 spam messages a day, starting now?

Oh well, I've got 4 different mailboxes with a couple of them being "sacrificial".

So, Krusty, if you would, email me at Pupfish@starband.net and we can swap snailmail addresses and vital statistics and get this deal going.

LionHo

Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted November 28, 2005 09:30 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty,
I would be interested in a call. I have never had a handmade call of any type, other than mass produced stuff....

Im not picky. Pick me one out, let me know how much and lets do it.

That is if the offer is good.....

Andy

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 28, 2005 09:49 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
LionHo, I assure you, any use of your email address is voluntary, on your part and at your risk. I (HM) don't use it for any purpose, whatsoever. Some message boards don't allow email displays due to their own insecurity issues. Here, I'm sure you are aware that if you don't want it known, it's your option. [Smile] That's the extent of our "in house" buck nekked technical set up. Slick, eh? [Smile]

K, you should charge decent money, once you field test each hand crafted, custom made, one of a kind, game call.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted November 28, 2005 11:26 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
LionHo,

Will do. [Smile]

Andy,

I can see never having the need for a custom predator call, but I can see never needing a beautiful rifle too.
The desire to own a beautiful rifle, or a call, often gets ahold of me (personally) though.

Do you mind if I ask what would make you change your mind now? You've been calling a long time haven't you?

Not picky I can deal with, vague is a little harder... favorite and least favorite calls? Pick a wood?
It helps me figure out what to build.

Leonard,

I should, but I don't. [Smile]

Just how much is "decent money"?

What would the parameters be, for a proper field test? [Razz]

Krusty  -

--------------------

LionHo
Member # 233

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2005 08:36 AM      Profile for LionHo   Email LionHo         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Leonard, didn't mean that to sound like any kind of slur, as it must've. I want you to know that I implicitly trust that you wouldn't do anything untoward with my email.

What I was babbling aloud about was my paranoid belief that ANY valid email addy that appears intact on a webpage anywhere these days, is likely to soon get plucked by one of the many bots or spiders that scan the web for such things.

But then, I'd forgotten (because my browser logs me on automatically), and just now remembered, that you set this board up to require a P/W to access the threads and not just reply to them, din'cha?

Well, then, seems I've answered my own question. Profuse apologies all around.

LionHo

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2005 10:25 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
decent? If you looked at what a Brass Rhino costs, or maybe a slydog or a Predatr and tried to wedge into a comfortable slot, based on tonal quality, cost of materials and workmanship.

As far as a field test. I have in my posession a Krusty call that was passed around at the campout. (not mine) The only person able to make it work (a little) was Gerald Stewart. I think it has something to do with the geometry of the mouthpiece? Too much curve, perhaps?

A little more testing before sending it off would have been helpful. Helpful, in a friendly way, as I'm attempting to do, here.

LH, anybody can access these pages, you only need an email address to receive your personal password for posting messages on the board as a unique individual. Thereafter, you can log on with your password from anywhere in the world. Many people and machines look at everything on HM, every day without registering and posting privilages. And, no I didn't take offense at your comments, I'm only interested in accuracy.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2005 10:56 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty,
Yeah, I have been calling for quite a while. I hesitate to say a long time because some of these guys have been calling longer than I have been alive. But, longer than most folks.

Im the first to admit Im no Cal Taylor, Quinton Waggoner or Blaine Eddy. Never have been and never will be. Im a weekend warrior. Not even that anymore. Too much work to do. Dont hunt a percentage what I used to. Not for the lack of longing though.... Just necessity and desire to not have to do it the rest of my life. I have been hunting every day for the last few months, but only a couple hours one morning was for furry creatures. The rest has been for outlaws. Pretty pitiful, I shouldnt even consider myself a coyote hunter anymore, but these boards at least I can log on from my office or laptop from time to time and keep up a bit.

As for the call, I have never had a custom call or custom rifle. I have had a couple rifles built, but they werent for pretty. They are workhorses. Very good at what they are made for, but not pretty in the least. Same with calls. I have some good calls. Just nothing pretty. Just workhorses.

Let me think about it a bit. Hell, I probably wont get to use one much anyway.

Thanks for the reply.

Andy

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2005 12:51 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

Basing my pricing on the work of someone else, who doesn't use methods of manufacture similar to mine, proved very difficult.
Basing it on "quality" is tough too, especially when we can't agree on the level of quality (of my work or theirs).
And, because I am frugal, and never bought a single piece of wood, basing it on material costs alone wouldn't be fair either.

I'd be very interested to see the call you mention.
It's too bad that the owner didn't take advantage of the warranty the call came with;

ALL CALLS ARE UNDER CONDITIONAL WARRANTY...
IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH THE SOUND, LET ME KNOW
I WILL BE GLAD TO HANDLE YOUR CONCERNS,
AND WILL REPAIR OR REPLACE YOUR CALL,
I PROMISE

(*The only condition to the warranty is that "you did not break the finish of the call, in an attempt to modify it")

This has even included a 200% buy-back, in the past, I'll gladly refund the cost of the call and shipping, or whatever it takes to make it right..
Somehow I think that person decided instead to get their money's worth by raking me over the coals in "public", I hope you all had a good time.

Either way, the warranty STILL stands.

You say it was not your call, do you have the same issues with it? Does it "work"?
Does the fact that it was FREE affect your opinion at all?

Part of the problem a call maker faces, and I've seen Mr. Cronk mention it too, is that we often have gained the ability to get a bad call to make a pretty good sound.
I can easily "work around" a problem with a call (often without even noticing it), and that may be the case with "the mystery call".
I probably believed I had tested the call thoroughly, when I shipped it.

I have built a couple hundred calls, and this is only the second one I have ever heard the owner was less than happy with.

I certainly wasn't trying to rip anyone off. [Roll Eyes]

Andy,

That's too bad you feel "less than" these other PEOPLE.
I don't!

Q has killed thousands of coyotes, he's still an ass.
I haven't killed any, and I am still an ass.

Pesonally I am glad I'm me (most days). [Smile]

Contrary to what you might believe from Leonard's post, I built my calls first and foremost to BE workhorses. If they held any beauty that was a by-product of the wood's own beauty, not my skills or intent.

Yeah , think it over, if you decide that you want a call to use, you just let me know.
Offer stands. [Smile]

Krusty  -

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2005 01:51 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
K, I don't think anybody "raked you over the coals" or was mean spirited in opinion or evaluation, or spent a great deal of time on it. Nobody's perfect, ya know? I'm glad you warned against me attempting a solution, because I'm fairly sure of what it needs to be a lot more user friendly. In fact, that's why I accepted the assignment.

If you can't price by the amount of work invested, or cost of materials, or sound quality, just pick a number and see if it $ells . I can promise you this; the most most important job of any CEO in the business world is to price his product correctly.

Good hunting. LB

PS, by the way, that Zebra Wood call is very nicely done.

[ November 29, 2005, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

timbertoes
Member # 604

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2005 01:51 PM      Profile for timbertoes   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
funny how some people can use a call immmediatly, and others cant. and how some calls just flat out are hard to use.

My particular double reed K. Krier (non-round call) [Smile] is no problem to use. I can get 3 sounds from it.

One day, as a calling partner and I were driving to a spot, he discovered a new open reed call I made. (and pilfered it too) He could not play it worth a darn. I grab it from him and play the heck out of it. distress, squeaks, barks, howls, the whole bit. Of course I gave him heck for not being able to play my "worlds most easy to use call" LOL.

Even some of the store bought calls, where I have seen posts about folks having problems with them, I find no problem using them. Sure it may take a few minutes or 10, to discover a calls range but thats to be expected.

Krusty, I am sorry, I keep yours on the shelf mostly. It is the one call I have that I simply cannot bear to have something happen to it! I have broken the toneboard on my #2 collectible call from willketchum, lost my (best) TTebbe Howler and lost several others less signifcant (my making) in the past.

But, you know I will just have to be careful and take it out this coming weekend, and I will try my best to get a critter photo as a result.

Posts: 20 | From: Van Alstyne, TX | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
timbertoes
Member # 604

Icon 10 posted November 29, 2005 01:57 PM      Profile for timbertoes   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
HEY KRUSTY. You strike again...

My call-stealing buddy just called, made his first turned open reed call on a new to him, used lathe, and he was playing the call over the phone.

He was using his K Krier reed material. the boy done good, and made a nice sounding call, esp for dem ol bobcats.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2005 02:00 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear ya, TT. One thing that has always mystified me is the number of people that can't use a diaphragm call. On the other hand, judging by the vast experience of those in attendance, in using this particular call, there seems to be a little problem. In my opinion, it requires way too much effort to get it working, leaves me breathless, in short order. Another thing I can agree with, the execution is excellent, Krusty makes a nice looking call.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

timbertoes
Member # 604

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2005 02:20 PM      Profile for timbertoes   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
LOL, I cant figure those things out!! but i do have a "appliance" for upper chompers. maybe thats what makes them hard for me to use. hmmm. maybe I should get a call reed molded in, next time I get some new ones. [Eek!]

Since I am a relativly inexperienced caller, I have to rely on the sounds of store bought calls as a guide. and on the help of some local hunters who have been calling a good long time.

Lately I have learned to use open reed calls a "little differently" with regards to bite pressure/upper lip pressure, and have gotten good results. for my call making, I am using as many different "methods" of blowing/biting etc, as I can think of.

BTW, Krusty, I think your calls would be priced in the range of $35 to $50, perhaps higher. cant say I am really qualified to make the judgement

Alaskan Yoter
Member # 169

Icon 12 posted November 29, 2005 02:23 PM      Profile for Alaskan Yoter           Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody, that doesn't have one now, want one?

Uhmmm. Okay!!! [Big Grin]

I have always dreamed of owning anoth....opps, I mean a Krusty Krier. The ones I have.....seen [Big Grin] are super, easy to use and sound good.

Posts: 235 | From: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
timbertoes
Member # 604

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2005 02:24 PM      Profile for timbertoes   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I have made a few calls that took much to air to make them work. darn thing about them, the overall "build" did not seem so different than the ones that did uhm, "seem" to work !!

Both K.K. and I use the same air channel size....since he was the one who taught me to how [Smile]

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2005 03:44 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

While I may not have been "raked over the coals", with the panel of judges you had assembled, I somehow doubt the call got an OBJECTIVE review.

I never really expected it to be a mean spirited thing, more likely you all got a good laugh, AND a few jabs, which we all do at my expense from time to time.
I guess it's the way you "dropped it on me" like that, and I took it the wrong way.
Because I wasn't there, I can ONLY imagine how that went.

I don't mind you makng an attempt to "fix" the call, and it doesn't necessarily mean the warranty has to be be void.
I just think I should have been made aware that there was a problem, been given a chance to remedy the problem myself, and not have to answer it in the open forums, this way.

If the call is an early model, I would rather trade them for a brand new call, because it has many more things that have been improved upon, than just the toneboard.
That's part of why I asked if the calls ARE being used, I'd like to make sure everyone is happy.

I don't wanna be CEO, I don't wanna be a salesman, and partially because of calls like this mystery call, I don't even wanna take money (I might just have to refund) for calls anymore either.
You wanna be any of these, or the R&D department, be my guest.

Making calls is enjoyable, for me, being in the business of selling calls is not.

TT,

No need to apologize, on the one hand I understand.
That you keep it safe because it IS what it is, as opposed to because it looks like it looks, is fully acceptable. [Razz] (*and a huge compliment)

I have only lost one call, so far, a small non-typical antler tip call with a rodent squeaker in it. I lost it three different times too, before it took. [Wink]

I am glad the reed material helped your friend, that's one of the other things I like being able to share.

Leonard,

You guys are posting while I try to reply...

I cannot even close my mouth with a diaphram call in it (high gag response).

This "mystery call" baffles me even more now?

"Too much effort to get it working, leaves you breathless", these are not characteristics I'd ordinarily attach to my calls?

Is the air channel squared in the bottom? Does the reed band have a "keeper groove"? Is the wood a buttery off white, maybe with some dark colors mixed through?

There are several solutions to these "drivabilty issues", before removal of material is necessary.

AKY,

You already got a pile of em, do you use any of them?

TT,

I am sure I didn't teach you how, I might have helped you understand the "langauge" of call making, but you had it more figure out than lots of others I have helped.
You and I both brought an understanding of fluid dynamics, from our previous dealings with racing engines, that gave us a big headstart.

Krusty  -

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters