The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » A few new calls (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: A few new calls
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 11:17 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Work has been slow (bad weather), duck season is over [Frown] , so I got to catchin' up on my calls list.

Lion Ho recieved his call a while back, it's a small ind ian plumwood call (a tree that's indigenous to the northwest).
It's made in the design inspired by my brother Red, and Keekee, the tiny call (just a little bit longer).
Hopefully the kitties down his way will like it. [Smile]

-

Norm asked next, but I never heard back from him on the mesquite wood.
How 'bout you Tim, can you get me some mesquite wood? Vic?

Andy was up after Norm, and I have his call done too. Also plumwood, but in the ultra mag howler style, and unlike most all of my calls set up with a single reed (instead of a double stack).

-

Whenever I am asked for the best sounding wood I can get, I choose this plum.
It also is very pretty, the up close detail of the grain and especially the end grain is really nice.
I am able to use the outer wood on some calls (like these) to make a lighter "underbelly" like a coyote has.
It's very strong wood, and lets me make the bell very thin, adding a rich tone to the call.

-

Scruffy,

You don't have one of the calls I make? You will soon, send me your shipping address, I've got a cherrywood ultra mag that needs a home.
I didn't picture it yet, because it's not all the way dry, and the finish came out way too shiny for my taste.

NASA was the next to go on the list.
When he first got some calls from me he liked the "bone" color of the hazelwood I used. I had some holly and it's also got the bonelike quality, with a much showier grain (up close) than the hazel.

-

This should make a great replacement for the one he lost in the woods, with the addition of a lanyard groove and a lanyard, hopefully, this one won't get lost too.

I'll try to remember to toss a lanyard in with everybody's call.

Krusty  -

P.S. On the finish... Lion Ho's call came out okay, a nice satin like it's supposed to be.
Andy's doesn't have polyurethane, just the natural (clear) oil stain I have been using to seal the calls (by dunking them in it).
I switched to a fast dry poly, from the wipe on poly I used to use.
I'm on my way to get a new can of the wipe on poly now.
NASA's call has been hand rubbed with some fine steel wool to break the finish (but will probably get a new coat of poly).

[ February 03, 2006, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: Krustyklimber ]

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
scruffy
Knows what it's all about
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 11:37 AM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
Email sent Krusty!!!! [Big Grin]

I can't say thank you enough! Those are some very nice calls pictured! And I've never used or heard a stacked reed call before, I'm anxious to hear it! [Smile]

later,
scruffy

--------------------
Git R Done

Posts: 361 | From: south central Iowa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
brad h
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 06:44 PM      Profile for brad h   Email brad h         Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice, K.

BTW, I think I read here you moved? If your shipping addy changed I'll need the updated version soon.

Brad

Posts: 346 | From: Glendive MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 07:07 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Scruffy,

It's my pleasure. Besides, what else am I going to do with all these calls?

Brad,

Thanks. [Smile]

I haven't moved, yet. We were planning on it, but that deal fell through.

I'll be here, whenever you need anything. [Wink]

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 07:45 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
How much do you want?

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheHuntedOne
Member # 623

Icon 1 posted February 04, 2006 04:40 AM      Profile for TheHuntedOne   Author's Homepage   Email TheHuntedOne         Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty, those are some of the prettiest calls I have seen yet. You are a craftsman. Amazing what you do without a lathe. Keep it up buddy.

Al
THO Game Calls

--------------------
The On Line Resource For Custom Call Makers

THO Game Calls

Posts: 266 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted February 04, 2006 06:15 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,

I'll take what I can get. The chunk I got from Vic was about the size of my fore arm, something about that size would be awesome. [Smile]

Let me know what you'd want in return.

Al,

Thanks. [Smile]

Krusty  -

--------------------

Doggitter
Member # 489

Icon 1 posted February 04, 2006 10:44 PM      Profile for Doggitter   Email Doggitter         Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty, how is Chinquapin for calls? There quite a bit in our part of the world. Madrone too but that's a real tough wood when it's dried.
Posts: 273 | From: Oregon rain forest | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2006 10:09 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
How about Walnut? Can it get too dry? I've got a piece that's been sitting out in the shed for the last five years.

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2006 10:33 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Loren,

I've never heard of chinquapin? A google search lead me to some answers though.

Chinquapin, also spelled chinkapin and pronounced like this spelling, is an oak tree, mostly types of yellow oak.
Our region is home to the giant chinquapin, one of the original residents of the live oak prairies that used to dominate the lowland landscape.

It was difficult to find anything relating to the workability of the wood, but I did find where it has been used for... paneling, tool handles, furniture, novelties (that's us, I think [Wink] ), and fuel wood.

I haven't used any madrone either, but if my memory serves me correctly, I think I remember seeing someone else use some.

Both woods sound tough, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Are we going somewhere with this? [Big Grin] [Razz]

Yeah, I'd be glad to give either wood a try, as long as you're willing to give a call (or two) a good home.

Krusty  -

--------------------

Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2006 10:38 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Krusty,
I have been on the road again, and leaving again tomorrow for a few days. I hope Im not too late.

Thanks a million!! Thats a great looking call. I guess if you posted your email, I missed it. If you could, email me at plaughlin001@charter.net and I will get back with you.

Let me know how much and where to send it.

Thanks again. Thats a good lookin call for sure.

Andy

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2006 10:46 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I worked two different companies with ol' Vic. A good guy. Me and him pretty much ran the place but one time we had a huge black walnut tree cut down to make room for a structure. Beautiful crotch pieces; I could have made a couple hundred handgun grips and for sure (at least) one fabulous rifle stock. Well, I was hording that stuff behind the building for years when I happened to be back there for some reason and it was all gone!

So, I asked Vic. Nobody else even knew it was there. So, he says; yeah, I took it home for the fireplace, it's all gone! And, Vic is a shooter, Marine Corps, he should have known better, but he didn't. That broke my heart, right there....bang/flop.

Generally, they dry hardwood in kilns to a small percentage of moisture. There is a theoretical ideal percentage, around 5%(?) but I don't think you could leave a piece for a number of years and have all the moisture out of it, there is always some humidity in the air and wood acts like a sponge, exposed to water vapor.

You might as well send that piece to K, Tim. Miss Joyce says you won't do any woodworking around the house?

Oh, I have another one. I again horded some beautiful "Honduran" mahogany above my garage. This stuff doesn't look anything like Phillipine mahogany, it has figure and looks more like walnut and is very hard.

Same old story, one day I'm up in the rafters and, (whoa) where's my mahogany? When I asked Junior about it, turns out he had hauled it to various places in the neighborhood; "a long time ago" was the precise term he used, but he couldn't recall exactly WHY?

Use it or lose it, Tim. [Smile]

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doggitter
Member # 489

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2006 12:03 PM      Profile for Doggitter   Email Doggitter         Edit/Delete Post 
There are versions of oak that have no leaf resemblance to the common oaks? The Chinquapin I know of has a leaf that's very spike shaped, puts out seed pods similar to the chestnut, spiny cover. The wood has a real beauty to it with varying colors in some samples. I'll get a piece rounded up. I'd be willing to trade samples. [Big Grin]
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2006 12:17 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Andy,

I figured you were off chasin' bad guys, good luck with the next one.

I'll send you an e-mail, because I have a couple questions, but the details are pretty simple.

You send me your shipping address and I send you a call, I am not asking for anything in return (other than you use the call, when you can, or give it to someone who will).

Loren,

One of the subspecies is called the yellow swamp chestnut, and both the oaks and the chestnuts are part of the magnolia family group. So it doesn't suprise me it might share characteristics of both it's relatives.

Shoot me an e-mail, when you're ready to, and I'll let you know where to send it.

Krusty  -

[ February 05, 2006, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: Krustyklimber ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2006 12:18 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
We have a native tree, here in southern California called a "scrub oak". They can get pretty big.

Talk about the shape of leaves. Back in Minnesota, oak leaves are large and with a lot of "tabs" on the sides, what else they might be called, I haven't a clue?

But, our scrub oak has leaves like holly, with sharp spines that can stick you real good. I have no idea of the grain structure, or anything else about it, but in general, oak is not a very attractive wood.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2006 01:04 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
I have some walnut that is over a hundred years old and it is in good shape.
I also have some wood over 300 years old.It came from an old log cabin,dating back to the 1700's.I found an old gun lock,in between some logs "Percussion cap" Looks to take much larger caps,than the standard percussion cap rifles.

The lock is still in working order.No research on it'yet.One old fella told me the lock was made,"during the civil war?"

Krusty,this log is hand hewn,i will check and see how much "good wood" i can get out of it. [Won't be for a while]"maybe" we can make a deal?
Lot of worm holes in it[maybe wormy chestnut?]

Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doggitter
Member # 489

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2006 07:00 PM      Profile for Doggitter   Email Doggitter         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, this looks quite close to what I know of.
http://plants.usda.gov/java/largeImage?imageID=chchc4_004_avp.tif

This links shows an oak variant, complete with acorns. Definitely not what I'm refering to.
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/forestry/Education/ohiotrees/oakchinquapin.htm
....still researching.

Good pic of the leaves and seed pod I remember here. http://waynesword.palomar.edu/images/chinqu1b.jpg

Looks like the Western or Golden Chinquapin most resembles what I know of this tree. The growth boundries match, soil types match, available pics match, description of the seed pods match...

[ February 05, 2006, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: Doggitter ]

Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2006 07:02 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty,

I found a nice piece for you, but I can't bring myself to cut it.

-

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2006 07:36 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, where the heck are you "surfing" to find that stuff?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2006 08:40 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,

I missed your question about the walnut.
Walnut I can get, for a lot less than the shipping would probably cost, Arizona mesquite is another story.

Maybe one of the other call makers, closer to you, could put the walnut to use?

Very interesting picture. [Roll Eyes]

I doubt I could cut it down either... don't mess with Mother Nature, ya know?

Somebody should put a game-cam on that thing, come spring. [Wink]

Krusty  -

--------------------

Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2006 10:51 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
Does everybody get to sit at"The Grand Buffet!"
Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
RedRabbit
Member # 796

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2006 07:58 AM      Profile for RedRabbit   Email RedRabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting tree, what is that? Naughty pine. I bet it will give some kind of wood.
Posts: 241 | From: SE IDAHO | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2006 07:56 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Scruffy,

Here's your picture;

-

I showed it with a single reed, because that's where I start. When I like the way it plays, I then make the topreed to give it that special sound.

I'm kinda suprised you haven't tried/heard a double-stacked reed call yet, I'm not the only guy using them. I believe we'll see a production call with that feature, before long.

*Note: You can always (carefully) lift up the topreed, and use it like a single reed call, especially for coyote vocalizations (which can begin and end sorta "duckishly" with the double-stack), which makes sense, I learned it from my duck calls (P.S. Olt in particular).

Brad,

I been thinkin' about it... what you really need updated, is your old Krusty Kriers call. [Wink]

Got any scaps of really cool wood that don't want to be turned on a lathe?

Tim,

I got a really nice piece of english walnut, almost made into a call, when it's done you want it?

Redrabbit,

"Naughty pine" you are too funny! [Big Grin]

How 'bout you, you live anywhere around the Burley/City of Rocks neighborhood?

Krusty  -

--------------------

scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2006 07:28 AM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty, the call looks awesome!!! [Big Grin]

I can't wait to get it out on stand and call some stuff in! I love the shape and size and I'm sure I'll love the sound. [Smile]

Thanks again Krusty! And I'm sure I'll have some pics for your photo page. [Cool]

later,
scruffy

--------------------
Git R Done

Posts: 361 | From: south central Iowa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2006 10:43 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Naw,

I've always been a sucker for a fairy tale ending. All I want is to see a picture of you holding up a coyote that you killed.

Sound fair?

Edit: I can't spell

[ February 09, 2006, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: Tim Behle ]

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters