The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » here is the 2nd open reed howler

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: here is the 2nd open reed howler
bigben
Knows what it's all about
Member # 864

Icon 1 posted July 20, 2006 10:39 AM      Profile for bigben           Edit/Delete Post 
here is another I made for myself. it was a short thin walled horn. it is real light and fits in the hand nicely. I tried my hand at engraving and it did not turn out like I would have liked but hey it is the first one. let me know what ya think fellas.
here is a sound file that I recorded. I tried to simulate a seranade sequence. but did not turn out the way I wanted. all those howls were made using this one howler. there is some high pitched ones challanges lone howls that are deep along with one dog that just likes to bark
let me know what ya think fellas
Click here to watch seranade
 -
 -

Posts: 54 | From: sc pa. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
browning204
Member # 821

Icon 1 posted July 20, 2006 05:15 PM      Profile for browning204           Edit/Delete Post 
look like your off to a pretty good start with the howlers!!
Posts: 167 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
brad h
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted July 20, 2006 09:49 PM      Profile for brad h   Email brad h         Edit/Delete Post 
bigben,
I still hate almost all my dremeling jobs. It's a bitch to get it right in your own eye, I know that.

Get your hand as steady as you can get it and try pulling the tool toward yourself. In other words, instead of moving your hand and the tool conventionaly to do the engraving, move the horn around to meet where your hand and tool are.

That's what works for me. That and lots of practice on unusable or junk horns.

I hope I explained that right? If I didn't, e-mail me, or if you have any other questions.

Brad

[ July 20, 2006, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: brad h ]

Posts: 346 | From: Glendive MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
bigben
Member # 864

Icon 1 posted July 21, 2006 04:42 AM      Profile for bigben           Edit/Delete Post 
hey thanks for the pointers fellas. I was trying to drag the engraving tool across the face but it still was too hard to keep it straight. one thing I still have not figured out is the drilling of the horn. I drill it out with a 3/8 drill bit and then open the hole up with the dremel. man can you say stink.
Posts: 54 | From: sc pa. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted July 21, 2006 03:56 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, if your free hand drawings aren't as good as you'd like, I assume you are using a pencil to draw the design before putting the dremel to the horn, than find some designs on paper that you like and get some tracing paper, use that to lay down your design before the dremel, and patience. If ya get in a hurry, the dremel seems to get a mind of its own.
My first dremel design isn't up for any "best of the best" awards neither!!!

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted July 21, 2006 06:18 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
bigben,I start my groove for the lanyard with my dremel and finish it with a fine rat tail file.The dremel is a tricky tool to use untill you get use to it.Brad,gave some good advice,practice on some old horn untill you get good at it.I don't use the dremel on my cow horn calls,but use it a lot on my deer horn calls.I have four here that the engraving is almost finished.One has the huntmasters coyote[complete as you see it]engraved on one side and a bobcat on the other.After these calls are finished [which i am slow]will post some pictures.You think cow horn stinks?You oughta smell deer horn.PHEW!!!
Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters