The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » Message for you open reed call users.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Message for you open reed call users.
bajabug
Knows what it's all about
Member # 919

Icon 14 posted November 10, 2006 06:49 PM      Profile for bajabug   Email bajabug         Edit/Delete Post 
Just bought a new mouse for my computer.( Please read all of message)and guess what? The clear plastic packaging material is just the right thickness for making reeds!! I have been on the lookout for the right material for a loooog time. My Cronk Howler sounds great and the material was free!!

Happy hunting .. Emilio .. Pico Rivera, Ca. [Smile]

Posts: 34 | From: Pico Rivera, Ca. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2006 09:12 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
bajabug,cut yourself some extra reeds from it and keep them with you.Some plastics don't take much calling before it breaks or splits.I hope you don't have that problem.
Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
bajabug
Member # 919

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2006 12:30 AM      Profile for bajabug   Email bajabug         Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin,
Thanks for the advise about cutting the extra reeds. I'll start in the morning. I'm still looking for the right material. ( I believe it's called mylar )Sooner or later I'll find some. In the meantime, I'll use what ever I can lay my hands on.
Thanks again for the advise.

Happy hunting .. Emilio .. Pico Rivera, Ca. [Smile]

Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2006 12:11 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Bajabug,

The packaging material you have is probably polystyrene.
It will wear out over time, losing it's memory (or "springy-ness").
Like Melvin says, file that piece away where you won't lose it, because even a package containing the same thing might not sound the same.

I tell you what, send me your shipping address, and I'll send you a sampler pack of several different reed materials (including a clear mylar similar to the tan mylar you are talking about).

For the tan mylar, both Yellerdog and THO have it available in small lots.

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
bajabug
Member # 919

Icon 1 posted November 12, 2006 09:47 PM      Profile for bajabug   Email bajabug         Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty,
Thanks for the offer of the mylar samples,I looked for a way to get your E-mail address to send you my shippying address, but was unable to.
Most of the fun is supposed to be in the searching,
so I'll keep on having fun. Thanks again for the offer.
Happy hunting .. Emilio .. Pico Rivers, Ca.

[Smile]

Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted November 12, 2006 09:53 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Bajabug,

I dunno why, but my e-mail address was "turned off"... I fixed it so you can e-mail me now.

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
bajabug
Member # 919

Icon 1 posted November 20, 2006 10:08 AM      Profile for bajabug   Email bajabug         Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty,

Thanks again for the offer of the mylar samples. I have sent you my mailing address two
times, the last time was 0ne week ago. There mus have bean A problem with the E-mail.

Happy Hunting .. Emilio .. Pico Rivera, Ca.

[Smile]

Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted November 20, 2006 04:31 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Emilio,

I got your address, and I sent the samples this weekend (while on my trip).

If you don't see it soon, let me know, I'll send more.

Krusty  -

--------------------

bajabug
Member # 919

Icon 14 posted November 22, 2006 09:27 AM      Profile for bajabug   Email bajabug         Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty,

Got the Mylar samples in the morning mail today, I can't thank you enough. Please let me know the cost as you sent enough material to make a whole lot of reeds.

Thanks again, .. Emilio .. Pico Rivera, Ca. [Smile]

Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2006 03:08 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Emilio,

The cost, including the stamped envelope, is still less than the price of a cold beer.

The reed material samples are the "shorts" left over after cutting a large sheet.

It's my pleasure to help out. [Smile]

By the way, I was cleaning up my desk, and found the note I meant to include with the material...
"The opaque clear material is Lexan, in two thicknesses.
The solid black and white material is polyvinyl, also in two thicknesses.
The crystal clear material is mylar, and I recommend roughing the reed up (with steel wool, or fine sandpaper) on one side, so you can find it if you drop it."

Krusty  -

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters