The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » Minaska M1 caller (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Minaska M1 caller
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 09, 2007 01:19 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a few issues with mine, and I should probably be contacting Steve any day now. I have the M1. My concern is that I left it in the vehicle on the World Hunt, and the batteries were sapped until it warmed up. Therefore, I have not sallied forth without a backup set of batteries, since then. I want to know if anybody in cold country has resorted to wrapping their machine in insulation? If so, do they pack it inside or ouside, maybe in a bubble wrap envelope?

Another thing is that the battery charger needs to be watched carefully, you cannot let it charge overnight with the case closed. They now warn you about that in the manual, must charge with the case open and don't charge it for over (forget?) two or four hours, max.

I have used this unit alongside two hunting partners that had WT units. The WT is much louder, and with my hearing, sometimes I cannot tell if the unit is playing, or not? I could solve that by sitting closer to the unit, but sometimes there is a perfect place for the caller and a perfect spot to sit.

I want to order the larger speaker and probably the lead acid battery and some type of instructions for hooking it up. I want an opinion on AA battery life with the big speaker. I still like the idea of the small unit because it does pack easier, but for some of the country I hunt, the volume is a little less than optimum.

In other words, I want the features of both machines, the Big Country and the M1, sort of a "component" unit.

I know that they say the range on the remote is 400 yards, but in my experience, it seems to be about half that distance, and it is important to have that antenna as high as I can get it. Sometimes I wish the unit would stand up rather than lay flat because this is when the antenna is the most difficult for the transmitter to find. I wind up holding the transmitter above my head to change sounds. I have not been busted doing this, but it's just a matter of time. The speaker is very directional and instead of pointing it away from me, I now point it back at me, to make sure I can hear it. I wish the antenna was longer, or folding, or telescoping; maybe a flexible antenna would be good, also? I need something to get it up out of the weeds when there is no place to set it on a rock or hang it in a bush.

Another thing I do not like is the on/off push button. It shows no indication of whether the speaker is on or off? And, for some reason, it is the easiest button in creation to accidentally be pushed. Maybe illuminate the button, or maintained contact? The problem here is that once I walk away and turn it on, I have to go back and check to see if the button is on or off. I solved that problem by removing the switch from the side of the unit and putting it inside the case where it cannot be disturbed. Ideally, plugging in the external speaker would bypass the built in speaker and there would be no need for this switch? The volume knob has been accidentally bumped and turned on while laying in other gear. It's amazing how easily this can happen while driving and that's anther question I have. Does the 9V battery in the remote lose power if the switch is left on? It seems to me that it does? Does the battery pack in the caller lose power if it is left on all day, or should it be turned off after every stand? The closure toggles on both the caller and the decoy are real fingernail busters.

The decoy. I have had some problems with it. At first, I thought the batteries were dying all the time, but found out that the motor was working, but the sleeve was slipping in the tubing. That caused me to put it away, several times, later finding out the batteries were good. I crimped the roll pin extra hard with a Sta-Kon crimping tool, and that solved the problem. Since then, I have had the tail fall off while walking out, several times and have had it fly off the wire, while operating. I fixed that problem by bending a kink in the wire, which makes it much harder to remove, but at least, I don't have to backtrack looking for a lost tail. Also, I don't turn the pot up all the way, a mid range speed seems to be enough movement?

I intend to cross post this evaluation on Huntmasters. Any and all input welcome.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted March 09, 2007 01:44 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard I haven't used my caller enough to know squat about it but a few of the same issues came up already and here's my opinion.

1 I think the volume is acceptable for most hunting but I did order the 10 watt TOA speaker and it is plenty loud.

2 The speaker switch was a pain, now I turn the call up as loud as it will go and can hear a slight hissing sound in the small speaker, before I walk away from it and that solved that problem.

3 Battery life is short for any AA battery when it's real cold, I'd like to see a lead acid battery option that has a lead to plug into the charging jack to parrallel the batteries and keep the voltage the same. I also want to find out if a cigarette lighter cord could be used as a vehicle maintainer.

4 I now hang my call from a tree limb and the remote works much better than when it's placed on the ground.

I would also like to add that I bought the unit because of the size and weight or lack there of, the TOA speaker weighs quite a bit itself and to add a lead acid battery just doesn't appeal to me except in a "component" type caller, add it when I need it. I carried a JS512 enough to know lighter is better.

I do know a new rechargable AA battery is out now with quite a bit of watts, I just can't remember the details but will check and post back.

[ March 09, 2007, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: TOM64 ]

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 09, 2007 04:55 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
For cold weather calling i take my caller and place it on the floor of pickup by the heater vent when driveing to a different calling location. I also found that i can be out for 2-4 hours before the cold starts to zap the batteries.
If needed i also found that those little hand warmer packets can be placed inside the caller to keep the batteries warm...
I have only tested mine out to 35-40 yards and i have to keep mine up in the air some also, in order for the remote to work properly..

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5063 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2007 05:21 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,
I think most of your problem is the dang AA batteries. A sealed lead/acid battery is only way to go in my opinion. The external 10 watt TOA speaker will likely give you more volume, but then you have more bulk to carry around. I think maybe you should consider trading the M1 in for a full sized Bandit with 15 watt horn, or the 10 watt TOA which ever suits your fancy.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2007 05:43 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
and i'll second that!

--------------------

The Bandit
Member # 960

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2007 07:50 PM      Profile for The Bandit   Author's Homepage   Email The Bandit         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

I was getting ready to ship your 10 Watt TOA speaker and the 3.0 Ah 12 volt SLA battery that attaches very nicely to the M-1. Well I got to thinking about packing the speaker, battery and your M-1 into the field and it gave me a whole new appreciation for the Big Country. Well I decided to build you a custom unit that will house the TOA speaker and larger battery that looks like the Big Country and you can attach the M-1 to the backside for the best of both worlds. You can go as light as 1 lb 10 oz with the M-1 by itself or you can attach the SLA battery to the M-1 and still be very compact and call for days on a charge, then if you want more volume you can attach the M-1 to the speaker / battery pack. This is a very versatile set-up and I believe I will do one for myself. [Big Grin]

It shipped out on Friday

-

-

-

-

-

Thanks
Todd

[ March 24, 2007, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: The Bandit ]

--------------------
Minaska Outdoors, Inc.

Posts: 49 | From: Lincoln Nebraska | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2007 06:35 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Todd,
It looks like you have outdone yourself this time. Holy Smokes! [Cool]

--------------------

csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2007 08:02 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
I have all my pennies saved and I am in the market for one of these little buggers. I may never use it I just have to get one! Seeing it in action on BowMania made my heart flutter. I just have to find a 'Store near me' that stocks 'em.
IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2007 07:11 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Todd. Very considerate, and I'm very appreciative. Can't wait to try it out.

Thank you, &
Good hunting, from Prescott Valley, AZ LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2007 11:30 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Just got back to Peoria. I want to commend the Borlands for listening to my comments as constructive, rather than critical. Looks to me like they addressed every one of my points of interest? That speaks well of the attitude at Minaska.

I'll be home tomorrow, and watch for the mailman. Excited!

Good hunting. LB

edit: Can I nominate "The Huntmaster" as a possible name for the unit? And, no I don't expect a piece of the action. [Smile]

[ March 26, 2007, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 14 posted March 26, 2007 06:01 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Good job Todd! Thats what i like to see. A call manufacture wether it be hand calls or electric, willing to work with each other to produce good calls or callers.

--------------------

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2007 06:56 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Todd, do they make a safety cap to screw on that push button switch?
The Bandit
Member # 960

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2007 07:04 PM      Profile for The Bandit   Author's Homepage   Email The Bandit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Todd, do they make a safety cap to screw on that push button switch?
I will see what I can find, something like the old red Eveready 6 volt lanterns used would be nice.

--------------------
Minaska Outdoors, Inc.

Posts: 49 | From: Lincoln Nebraska | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2007 03:28 AM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
A peice of sheet metal bent up in sort of a "U" shape to provide protective ears like those on the front sight of an Enfield might work.
The open end would probably need to be wide enough to accept a gloved finger tip.

I know shrouded switches are available, an off the shelf one that fits the real estate available might be fun.

Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2007 07:13 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
I just went and picked up the M1 yesterday. It will come in handy on those night stands! Now I just have to figure out how to rearrange the sounds into the banks I want w/out erasing everything.
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2007 08:21 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a new sound card and keep the original one put up, just in case. I took some sounds from there and other places and still only have 60 sounds on there. Gonna figure out how to make my own recordings and be lazy.
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2007 10:46 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I did the same as Tom. I just bought another card and put my sounds on it. the card runs around 50.00..

--------------------

csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2007 01:32 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Canon Digital Camera that takes CF Cards so I have about 20 of them laying around. I want to shuffle the sounds around and get them in an order I can remember. Just reading the instructions it sounds pretty simple but...... ya just never know.
coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2007 03:25 PM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
smithers download the utility and then make sure your on the c drive for source you can copy all files there in a folder along with your other sounds, it will then reconize a new CF card and you only need a 512 MB card as that is plenty for 100 sounds and you can get them at best buy for 20.00 on sale!

Keep all sounds in 1 folder and then you just remove from bank and add to bank from the list, you can even preview the sounds before you add or remove with the minaska program, then go to print preview sound list make sure it all looks good then print our your sound list.

I too have the orignal minaska cf card and then my own sand disk brand 512MB card you can be within 100's of sounds by printing out list and keeping the cards handy in a matter of seconds, no other caller on the market like it.

I also backed all my sounds up on cd's in case I have a computer crash!

--------------------
This is done on my time and my dime. My views may differ from those of others!

Posts: 376 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Norm
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2007 06:00 PM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
it is very easy to re-arrange the sounds into the libraries you want...

Leonard, looks like a great huntmaster setup you have there from Minaska.

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Posts: 778 | From: Phx AZ | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted March 30, 2007 09:11 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody know how water resistant the M1 is? I was told to put a foxpro in a zip lock bag when it rains but this one seems a little better sealed... maybe.

Probably still a good idea to keep a zip lock bag around.

csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted March 30, 2007 09:29 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
To say that I am disappointed with the function of the remote is the understatement of the decade.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 30, 2007 10:41 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, when you regain consciousness, why not attempt a lucid explanation? We await, anxiously!

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2007 08:13 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
smithers,
What problem are you having with the remote?

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2007 08:32 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, spill the beans, man!

Tom asks about the water tightness. The speaker looks like something you would want to protect from a driving rain? The case itself is damned near bulletproof, I think the only place where water (or melted snow) could seep in, is where the devices are located? They are just standard bulkhead switches, potentiometer and jacks, the holes are drilled in the side, so you wouldn't want to test it by dropping the whole machine in a bucket of water.

If I were hunting in rain, I think it might be a good idea to drape a piece of clear plastic over the caller, maybe a large ziplock?

Good hunting. LB

[ March 31, 2007, 08:33 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters