The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » Range extreme calls

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Range extreme calls
Melvin
Knows what it's all about
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2007 11:10 AM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
I like to build calls that works.Here is a proven call,that fits the bill for long range calling.Notice,the call body is streight,but then you look inside it is funnel shaped.This little baby is loud.This is another possible call,for the market.
 -
 -
Here is another picture of a new range extreme call.Notice how the block sits out,that holds the reed.By adjusting the block,i can make this a'super raspy'long range call.This call may also go on the market.
 -
 -
Calls are selling slow,so these may not be offered untill,mid summer.I thought i would show the pictures of only a couple that will be comming...I strive to make the best sounding calls out there,not the prettiest.

Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2007 11:30 AM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin, I received one of your calls last year, the black pup, and it is LOUD! [Eek!] How you get that much volume from such a small call I have no idea.

Where are these being sold??? I like them both.

later,
scruffy

--------------------
Git R Done

Posts: 361 | From: south central Iowa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2007 12:29 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
scruffy,some of the first run will be offered here,like i said,it will be around mid summer.I will contact you and let you know.Very few people own one of my earlier models,and some that do,have done very well.I hope you have done well also.Thanks for being the first to ask.
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2007 02:34 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin,
I like the looks of that little call at the bottom. I have a weakness for small calls. [Smile]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2007 04:44 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich,since you are the older of the two of us [Big Grin] I tuned the call to be a little easier to blow. [Smile] You should have it in a couple of days.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2007 04:47 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
What is the material, Melvin? Kinda looks like delrin?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2007 06:57 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
You are right,Leonard.The whole call is delrin.People who bites down on a call and hunts a lot,can wear out a good call,in a couple of years.Delrin would outlast most other call materials(plastics)ten to one.Thats my rough guess,and i think,i would be very close.
scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2007 07:02 AM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
The first stand I used your call I was doing fawn distress. It was late in the spring last year if I remember right, can't rememeber for sure. But I let out some bawls and a big buck and meduim sized doe came busting in. I was in the timber and they both walked arms length infront of me. I had a decoy out and they were fixed looking at it, but for the life of me I don't know how they didn't wind me. Anyway, they circled around the decoy multiple times and left, and I called them back in 3 times, messing with them, with more fawn bawls for the next 30 minutes. That buck was ready to come out of his fur he was so upset so I decided I better stop.

It's been one of my favorite calls ever since that first stand. It's not only loud but it makes a clear crisp accurate sound.

Weather permitting it'll be making some loud fawn bawls this weekend for "bambi", my fawn decoy, and hopefully a coyote or three will come busting in! [Cool]

later,
scruffy

[ March 21, 2007, 07:04 AM: Message edited by: scruffy ]

--------------------
Git R Done

Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2007 08:12 AM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
scruffy,i must warn you,if you are in bear or mountain lion country,and you get chewed up,it's not my fault. [Eek!] That is my pick of calls,should i go to arizona to hunt mountain lions. [Wink]
scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2007 08:37 AM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
Fortunately no bears to worry about in Iowa, and the mountain lions are very few and far between. If I called an Iowa mountain lion I would go out and buy one of every lottery ticket made. [Big Grin]

later,
scruffy

[ March 21, 2007, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: scruffy ]

--------------------
Git R Done

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2007 09:34 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
No bears here that I know of, but we do have a few cougars in Iowa. A couple of weeks or so ago, a cougar was struck by a car and killed here. Yep, right here in good old Council Bluffs, Iowa. And in the city limits yet. [Wink]

--------------------

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2007 07:22 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
I have one that looks similar to the those and it is surprisingly loud.
The antler call you sent sometime ago is on my keychain so that I am never without it and I do use it on every stand.

IP: Logged
scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2007 07:54 AM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yep, right here in good old Council Bluffs, Iowa. And in the city limits yet.
Rich, you need to quit blowing your calls inside the city limits. [Big Grin]

later,
scruffy

--------------------
Git R Done

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2007 10:04 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
scruffy,
I sure WISH I could be lucky enough to call an Iowa cougar in and shoot it. A few years ago, I found large cougar tracks about a mile east of where this latest one was killed by a car. I went out several times and called in that area with no luck. [Cool]

--------------------

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2007 11:16 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin,
The little antler call arrived today. Very nice job.
Thanks,
Rich

--------------------

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 14 posted March 24, 2007 12:10 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
On my way back to Minn. from Scott H. i stopped at Jerry Hunsley's house to pick-up a Howler.
I was met at the door by Jerry's wife and his coyote dog. Jerry is a very lucky man to have such a lovely wife.
While driveing home i stopped along the way at a friends house and picked up some new areas to call next year. I took Jerry's howler out of the plastic bag and tried it out. Very nice howler, easey to use and very loud.I would give it a thumbs up. This howler will go into my call bag and not up on the shelf with the calls that did'nt make the cut. Thanks jerry and good hunting..

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2007 01:17 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
You are quite welcome,Rich.Give it a try on some of your woodlot stands.
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2007 02:05 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin,
Yep, that little call is an excellent brush country tool.

--------------------

Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2007 09:24 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
You ain't gonna believe this one! The little call at the top measures 1-1/2"long 'total' and a 1/2"round,you could'possibly'be looking at the smallest,big dog howler,made! The little call,really rips out a loud howl. The two below the howler,are similar to the calls above,except the tone boards are larger and made from a different material. They are tuned different and sound really good.

-

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters