The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » Incredible Gift

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Incredible Gift
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 14 posted August 21, 2007 09:50 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not calling gear, but I had to share.

When the subject of trapping has come up, Ronnie has posted a picture of himself, way back in the day, wearing a packbasket.

So one day I get an e-mail from him, he says he'd like me to have his old packbasket, the very one in the '70s picture.
I'm a sentimental ol' fool, and that really made an impression on me.
He told me it might take him a while to dig it out of storage and ship it to me, so I didn't give it a second thought (well I thought lots of times how cool it was that he offered it to me, but not about "where it was?").

Ronnie got to fishin' the ol' basket out of the gardening shed, and with typical epic Ronnie fashion found the place infested with black widow spiders! [Eek!] And even got himself bit.

The ol' dude has been up, and down, with his health, so it took a while to get his battle with the spiders won, but you can count on it that he did.
Again I didn't give it a second thought.

Time was kind to the old basket, though a family of rats wasn't. They'd chewed the bottom out.
Life on the trap line was over.

On it's way to a funeral fire, on the burning pile, Mrs. R. saved it for dried flowers, just like she'd intended to when it got stuck in the shed.
And old packbasket could do worse. [Big Grin]

A bit later, another e-mail shows up, explaining what had happened while I waited.
Before I had a chance not to give it a second thought, the letter went on...

In it it says he's going to send me a new basket.
As in brand new... Sterling Fur Co, Adirondack packbasket.
He wanted to be able to give me the "heritage" he'd built up with his pack, but he said "I'd have to build a history of my own".

The next day, I hear a clunk on the front porch, and there's a box for me when I open the door.

What an incredible gift, as in not credible, I cannot believe it.
It's got to be one of the nicest things anyone has done for me, in my whole life.

On top of being an incredible gift, it's an amazing piece of craftsmanship.
As a woodworker, I am respectful of what it took to hand-make this item.
The simple design hides it's strength, and is an obvious end product of much refinement.
A perfect blend of old and new technology, with the metal rivets and nylon straps looking like they've always belonged there.

Functional art, that's more than up to the challenges of it's function.
Talk about a gift that's perfect for the recipient... [Razz]

I can't wait 'til I get to fill it up with gear, and hit the line!

This is me, with my favorite trappin' shirt, my packbasket, and my "serious look" again, it's what I do when I don't want to get caught being all sentimental, I guess. [Roll Eyes]

-

Top that off or more correctly fill it up, with some traps from TA, that I really needed if I'm gonna do in any land trapping out of state this winter, and I had a heck of a week!

There's a lot of you guys "that go with me" when I am calling, but only a few that go trapping with me.

It was already true, and I can guarantee it'll always be from now on, but there isn't a day I'm out trapping, that I don't think of what a genuinely fine gentleman Ronnie Robison is.

His advice, encouragement, and most of all his dogged determination in the face of unbelievable adversity, will serve to inspire me for the rest of my life, in and out of the woods.

There's no way I can ever thank you enough, my friend. [Smile]

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2007 10:10 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
We sure attract some quality people, here on Huntmasters. Hey, we're supposed to be all hardnosed killers, not thoughtful, compassionate friends who have never met.

Good story, K.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Norm
Knows what it's all about
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted August 22, 2007 05:09 AM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for sharing with us Krusty;

It represents the true value of what these type boards were intended to create... information sharing, friendship building, community.

Have fun preparing for the trapline...

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Posts: 778 | From: Phx AZ | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted August 22, 2007 06:04 AM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for sharing Krusty. I too have been the recipient to such kindness this week, a package with a digital camera arrived yesterday. It'll be with me when I go calling, as well as many other events, some relating to my daughter's growing up no doubt, given it's small size and big abilities.

Good people are far and few between it seems, but the one that are out there sure can strike you with awe with their generosity.

later,
scruffy

--------------------
Git R Done

Posts: 361 | From: south central Iowa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 14 posted August 22, 2007 06:09 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty,

Just remember what the Doctors tell you. If you have to pick something up off of the ground, bend at the knees, not at the waist! [Wink]

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 22, 2007 08:16 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty, congratulations. Those of us that know Ronnie are not at all surprised.
IP: Logged
tlbradford
Rimfires are MAGIC on COYOTES! If you do your part
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted August 22, 2007 05:51 PM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
Now that is someone raised with a good Texas upbringing. Thanks for sharing Krusty and enjoy.

--------------------
"Dan Carey ain't that special" - LB

Posts: 423 | From: Spokane Valley, WA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted August 23, 2007 03:31 AM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome.

I always lusted and drooled over that type of basket when I was a kid trapping but it was to never be.

Somehow, it is tough to think of hauling around a soggy muskrat or beaver in one of those beaut's, or do you just use them for your dry gear?

[ August 23, 2007, 03:32 AM: Message edited by: JoeF ]

Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 23, 2007 04:34 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
JoeF; Where Krusty lives, there's no such thing as 'Dry Gear'.

Nice basket!! Not to get all sappy, but just wearing the basket connects a person with a couple of hundred years of history. Unfortunatly, it's a history that we're slowly losing.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2007 06:48 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
First time I have run across this post.
That is Great! Both of you fine gentlemen have something to be proud of!

IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2007 08:18 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
That made my day
Thanks for sharing Krusty
PM

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2007 11:51 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,

Yeah, the packbasket was part of the whole image.

Packbasket, plaid shirt, hip waders and gloves, and a funny hat, eh? [Smile]

Like Kokopelli says, it's pretty wet here in trapping season. I wear gore-tex chest waders, a fleece windstopper jacket... all day.

A muskrat can be shaken pretty dry, tail between my middle and ring finger, and the feet in between the others... one good snap, and a couple trips around the world, and they were ready to go in my oiled cotton German army surplus pack.

Beavers are wet, there's no getting around it.
I try to set them out of the water to drain, and like Vic, I pet them a lot.

One of the kids at the farm asked me "why do you pet them?"
"To ring out the water, and because they feel nice", I told him.

My backpack, and the packbasket will compliment each other perfectly.
I'll put my tools and supplies in the pack, organized in the pockets, and any traps for the stop inside the main compartment, and put it in the basket.
Small critters, like muskrats, will go in the backpack. Medium critters will go alongside the backpack in the basket. And for beavers, I can belly haul the pack, with the basket on my back and carry out a large and medium beaver in one trip.

Last year I used my safety rope to make a shoulder sling for doubles.

I refuse to drag a furbearer. [Wink]

I'm really hoping the wetness here won't be a problem, I'll have to be diligent about drying it out every night, with the rest of my gear.

Like Kokopelli said, it's really wet here, so it's like second nature to us to dry every thing out, every day.

Thanks guys. [Smile]

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Crow Woman
Member # 157

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2007 05:06 PM      Profile for Crow Woman   Email Crow Woman         Edit/Delete Post 
I just caught this post. Don't know how I missed it! congrats Krusty on the pack. Yuppers, I know first hand all about that man we call Varmit Hunter, Ronnie Robson. You will never meet a finer one out there. Great story K!

--------------------
Sheri L Baity

Lord, Please give me peace, because if you give me strength, I might beat someone to death!

Posts: 687 | From: Covington | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2007 02:02 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
A few years ago Ronnie and I agreed to swap a really nice long-haired Colorado coyote pelt for an alligator head. My alligator head arrived along with a bunch of Lohman calls, and alligator claw jewelry for the kids. Not at all our agreement, but very generous indeed!!!

Your writing is very good K. Your are very generous yourself, I love my gift. It's the best log I ever had! [Wink] Makes wonderful sounds too!

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters