The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » In The Market, I Guess (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: In The Market, I Guess
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2007 08:04 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I guess Im in the market for a caller? I bought a cheaper MP3 call in fall 03. Its performed flawlessly until now. It wont turn on and wont take a charge. Im going to check on what a replacement battery will cost, but Im probably going to get a new call.

It sucks, I really liked that little call. I dont know for sure what type yet, but it will be something similar.

I would like something with a slot for a MMC. I got my sounds all saved on one and it would be nice to be able to just plug it in.

I know most of you guys are Minaska or FoxPro guys. Any other suggestions while Im lookin?

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Norm
Knows what it's all about
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2007 08:16 PM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
Andy, I finally gave up on the tape players, though they called a few animals.

I went with the Minaska, due to the ability to add and arrange calls in a sequence I wouldd hopefully remember... I hunted with it in NM this past winter. I worked very well. It is at the shop now being upgraded to their new and improved design. Hope to see how it works a few more times this winter.

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Posts: 778 | From: Phx AZ | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2007 08:24 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Norm, I still got my tape player. But Im spoiled and refuse to lug it around anymore.

--------------------
Andy

Norm
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2007 08:42 PM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear ya on the weight thing... but i use the tape player on the days that I want to go out and sit in a rocking chair and wait for the coyotes to stroll by...

good luck with that WR; I know you liked it and it worked very well.

[ September 03, 2007, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: Norm ]

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Posts: 778 | From: Phx AZ | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2007 05:00 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, its been a great call. Good sound and so easy to carry. No regrets. I emailed the company to see what a battery costs/entails. If not, I guess I will start shopping.

From what I can see, the Minaska has merits, as does FoxPro. Honestly, one thing that turns me off to FoxPro is whats going on on PM as we speak with Garys thread. He was being objective, with a slight marketing tinge. Nothing like as bad as the FoxPro cheerleaders over there. It seems that a huge number of the FoxPro "prostaff" are over zealous idiots. Not all, you got people like Cal in there that just tells it like it is, but then you got the others, alot of em. I get tired of the bullshit. And thats what 99% of it is, bullshit.

I listened to a couple of the Minaskas in camp last year. Good, nothing over the top, but good as any. I like the looks of the big country for, well, big country and wind.

I guess I could call Uncle Bill and check out the good ole WT. lol

--------------------
Andy

coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2007 02:08 PM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
Andy go with the big country for open calling and reliablity. It is a great call and will work well.

--------------------
This is done on my time and my dime. My views may differ from those of others!

Posts: 376 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2007 04:18 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Whacker. I appreciate the input. [Cool]

Hey, I cant help but tell this. Everytime you post it reminds me of a fella I used to hunt and fish with some. His name was Richard Paul Whacker. He liked to be called Paul, but he didnt always get his wish. [Big Grin] Even funnier, another guy in that group was named Richard Roller.... [Big Grin]

[ September 04, 2007, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: Andy L ]

--------------------
Andy

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2007 04:54 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Dang Andy, that would be tough to keep a straight face when someone would ask for Dick Whacker [Smile]

I played football is HS against a kid by the name of Mike Hawk... [Smile] I can't imaginre as a parent, hanging a name like that on a kid.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2007 05:21 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
We had a kid in school, last name was Godown. I can't remember what his first name was???

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2007 06:20 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
I know a guy named Richard Wascher.

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DEL GUE
SECOND PLACE: Mad Bomber lookalike contest
Member # 1526

Icon 1 posted September 10, 2007 02:54 PM      Profile for DEL GUE   Email DEL GUE         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. My 2 cents. When I worked at a package delivery company, one of my drivers was named Ben Gay. And when I worked at Sears in the parts/repair dept between '75 and '80, some guy brought his lawnmower in to be repaired. His name: Harry Jock.

[ September 12, 2007, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: DEL GUE ]

--------------------
"I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart." - Bear Claw

Posts: 588 | From: FL | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
furhvstr
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted September 11, 2007 06:05 PM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I am kinda in the market also. Never had an electronic before.
My question is why does the foxpro have two speakers and under what circumstance do you use both speakers ?

Posts: 144 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted September 11, 2007 06:20 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
The Foxpro has two speakers so you can call doubles.
IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 11, 2007 07:28 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I happen to like the second speaker pointing back towards me because I'm so deaf, I like to know that it is playing.

Good hunting from Omaha, LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted September 11, 2007 08:06 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually thought that Leonard told me that Coyote Whackers real first name was Talley.
-------------------------
Lord, I apologize for that right up there and please be with the starving pygmies down there in Africa-Amen.

Andy,
To be perfectly honest, I think you would be happy with a FoxPro FX-5 or a Minaska "Big Country". Both are good callers. [Cool]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted September 12, 2007 07:19 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
I work with a guy named

MIKE HUNT

say that a time or two over the loud speaker....

[ September 12, 2007, 07:19 AM: Message edited by: Kelly Jackson ]

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 12, 2007 07:22 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Now, that's FUNNY, I don't care who you are.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 14 posted September 12, 2007 10:24 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
While growing up, at nearly every county fair, we could find one ding bat working in the Announcer's booth who we could get to page for "Mike Hunt, please come to the Beef Barn"!

For a bunch of Farm boy river rats like myself, it was one of the highlights of every summer!

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2007 06:41 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim Behle,
Did ya ever call your local tavern and aske em to page Jack Meeorff to the phone?

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2007 07:47 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Back in my day, it was a real exciting thing to call the local drug store and ask if they had Prince Albert, in a can? Tying up the party line for such foolishness....

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2007 11:01 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Back in my EMS days, we had an elderly man, about Leonard's age, named Harry Bevers. No kidding. About him being Leonard's age. One of the first things we did in contacting a patient was introduce ourselves and ask them their name and age. It was kinda hard not to smirk a bit. At his age, that is.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2007 11:35 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
After meeting Leonard in person, I would be a little hesitant in calling him elderly. He appears to be in better shape than the average 40 year old kid.

--------------------

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2007 03:53 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, crap, that makes him younger than me. Sorry. [Eek!]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2007 05:10 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
...yeah, with hair, too!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2007 07:56 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Touche!

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters