The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » FoxPro XR6 just arrived

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: FoxPro XR6 just arrived
SwampCat
Knows what it's all about
Member # 806

Icon 1 posted October 20, 2007 06:58 PM      Profile for SwampCat   Email SwampCat         Edit/Delete Post 
The MailGirl just dropped off the new FoxPro XR6 E-Caller. Ran through the new digital calls and the sound was much better than with the older 416. Charging batteries and organizing Predator Vest....
 -

--------------------
...I'd like to go to heaven, but I've gotten use to hanging with this crowd...

Posts: 16 | From: Blackwater Swamps, SC | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
scruffy
Knows what it's all about
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2007 12:29 PM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
I have the exact same unit under the tree waiting for Christmas Eve. [Cool]

The big thing I've found as a difference between the FX3 and the XR6, besides the XR6 only has 16 sounds, is that the XR6 is a 6 volt unit, only has 4 AA batteris (4 AA x 1.5 volt per AA = 6 volts) compared to the FX3, FX5, scorpian, etc that have 8 AA's and are 12 volt.

And since it's a 6 volt, it has the smaller amp, similar or same as the 416 that the XR6 is replacing. With the FX speakers it supposed to be a little louder than it's predecessor the 416, but with similar runtimes (when the horn speaker is turned on and the cone speaker turned off). It's not as loud as the FX3 and other 12 volt callers, but for me that's fine.

I've read that the old 416 could get 18-24 hours of continuous calling with alkalines, and the XR6 is supposed to be similar. Since I call when the temps are below zero, down to -20 or below often times (gotta love a full moon, snow, clear sky and frigid temps!) I've decided to go with Lithiums instead of alkalines or rechargeables because the lithiums are advertised to perform well from -40 to 140 degrees. And lithiums, with up to 7x longer run times over alkalines, the XR6 should run over 100 hours between battery changes? Hard to imagine.

I'm also going to pick up a 9V lithium battery at radio shack for the tx-5lr remote, same reason, for the cold weather performance. The longer run time is a bonus.

One reason I didn't go with rechargeables, rechargeable AA's don't have a full 1.5 volts. They are 1.2 volts. So while 4 AA 1.5 volt lithiums add up to 6 volts, 4 AA 1.2 volt NiMH rechargeable add up to 4.8 volts. I'm not sure what effect it would have. Regardless, for the battery friendly XR6 I think the lithiums are the way to go for me, if it lasts 100+ hours especially. Since I'll be using it sporadically instead of continuous, unless I'm coaxing with low volume continuous, it'll be a few years worth of stands?

And I've been wondering, on the 8 AA 12 volt units, 8 AA 1.2v NiMH rechargeables = 9.6 volts (1.2 volts x 8 batteries = 9.6 volts). Does that have any effect on peformance?

It's too bad the FX wasn't designed with a longer battery compartment so it could hold 10 AA's, 10 1.2 volt NiMH = 12 volts.

Regardless, hopefully on Christmas I'll get out and make a couple stands with the XR6 and make some red snow. [Wink]

later,
scruffy

[ December 18, 2007, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: scruffy ]

--------------------
Git R Done

Posts: 361 | From: south central Iowa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2007 02:08 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are having better luck than I am, my FX3 went tits up a week ago, won't work worth a shit, unless Im sitting right on top of it? Had similar problems with a couple other FX3s Ive owned, but in the past, always had good luck with getting them repaired. This time, Im having HELL, getting any e mail response or assistence from anyone over at FoxPro, not sure whats going on....maybe the X-mas rush??
Anyway, either of you know how to back-up the sounds on my caller onto my computer? Ive downloaded the programs they have, but I can't save the files anywhere, the file comes up when I plug in my caller, but cant seem to save them?
I want to save them, just in case someone over at FP decides they can assist me, so I can put same sounds on a new caller?

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2007 07:24 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Vic,

I figured that you must be slacking off lately. I've seen two coyotes crossing the road in the last week, and yesterday morning, I chased a pair of Kitts down the lane just south of the house.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2007 06:39 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Dirk
I'm having trouble wiyh my fx-5 and emailed,with no response finally called them they said send it in no problem.They must be having trouble with the e-mail Ive never had a problem before. they have always been responsive.
I am waiting until after the holidays to send it when the postal system is back to norbal.lol
They did tell me about one week turn around.
The way the foxpro shootout is goin youll have a new caller soon
PM [Big Grin]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Joel Hughes
SPECIAL GUEST
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2007 06:46 AM      Profile for Joel Hughes           Edit/Delete Post 
Dirk:

First off, I have owned an FP38 (non-remote), a 416, an FX3 and now an FX5. None of mine have ever had reliable 50-100 yard range without at some point having to hold the remote up over my head while on stand. Coyotes love that. When I have called in about it, I have had good customer service though! Apparently, that's all that matters to most folks on the forums..who cares if the range sucks. LOL

Anyhow...it's simple to backup your files. Don't worry about using their software. Just plug your usb cord into your caller and turn it on. Your computer "should" recognize it. When the file names come up on your screen (in Windows Explorer), just highlight them all and do Edit>>Copy. Then go to any folder on your C: drive and do Edit>>Paste. Your FX when plugged in acts just like another drive letter on your computer. Your goal is to COPY them from your FX drive to your computer hard drive. Nothing fancy about it.

[ December 19, 2007, 06:48 AM: Message edited by: Joel Hughes ]

Posts: 145 | From: texas | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters