The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » Minaska question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Minaska question
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2007 04:10 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
When I turn the volume all the way up, (I have a one turn pot) there is considerable buzz heard through the speaker. Turning it down about half way dampens this noise considerably, and the volume is still pretty good, but I like a lot of volume during the first few minutes of my stand.

Gary told me there was a compatability issue with the volume switch and the board?

This is what happens: Turn the machine on, max out the volume and turn on the remote.

Hit "Bank" and any two numbers.

The caller makes a fairly loud machine like noise, a hum, but with some other sound that (to me) sounds like something moving inside? Of course, I know there are no moving parts, but it still sounds like something is moving, a motor type of noise. A low pitch, with a high pitch also.

Now, this is without touching the volume buttons, there is no apparent sound playing yet. Personally, I have to hit the "volume up" button three times before I can hear the selected sound. Not true, actually. I can hear some of them with two clicks.

Anyway, I have to use five clicks before the distress sound overrides the hum sound, at max'ed volume. Even then, during silent parts of the recording, I can hear the hum from across the room, and I'm practically deaf.

Comments?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2007 05:13 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Both of mine did that, too, before the upgrades were done. Now, it still starts out "no volume", but comes right up with the presets. I got to thinking about that volume at start issue and don't really want it to produce sound at start up. I'd rather have full control over where and how it starts, respective to volume.

Oh, as stated above, that hum is one of the issues the upgrade addressed, and it did eliminate that sound.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2007 07:06 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
There is an audible hiss in mine when the volume knob is all the way up and no sound is selected. As soon as I select a sound and hit pause it goes away, somewhat. I am sure that if I can hear it 25 yards away that any predator can hear it hissing 200 or more yards out. I would hope that the upgrade will address this issue. I haven't sent mine in as of yet.
Is there a cutoff date on the upgrade or is it infinite?

IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2007 05:33 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
The upgrade is worth doing. You now turn on the caller and remote, hit "bank", "volume up" and 0-9 depending on how loud you want it to start out. Then hit the number for which sound you want or just turn it on and work up the volume.

There is no noise from the speaker in the caller (and I never had that issue before the upgrade) but I do hear it indoors with the TOA external speaker.

Don't hit bank, volume up, 9 with the toa speaker indoors, trust me. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 26, 2007 08:06 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
btt

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted October 27, 2007 10:54 AM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
I think most callers have that "hiss" sound when fired up, I know I heard it more from the TOA than the cone speaker, it still calls in coyotes, but the upgrade takes it to zero hiss on start up and I only hear a slight sound indoors, after I play a sound then pause, you can hear some back ground "hiss" but very little at all.

I know the WT had hiss in the old model as well.

If it sounds like a helicopter then you have a battery issue, I had that happen once when the battery went to a low charge, since then I recharge at the end of every day and carry a spare battery, but it made a low pitched helicopter sound and talked with steve and after I charged up the battery never heard it again.

I also would recommend the upgrade as well.There working on a new remote and I'm betting for that to be compatable with the unit's you will need the upgraded board?

--------------------
This is done on my time and my dime. My views may differ from those of others!

Posts: 376 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 27, 2007 11:30 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a problem in sending in for an upgrade with hunting season upon us, and keeping my machine who knows how long? I heard so much chatter about not getting the unit returned that I decided to hold on to it. Now, I wonder if I made the right choice?

But, yes, I did hear that sound, very loud, once. But, I didn't think the battery was low. I have not yet had the red light turn to green, on the wall charger, and I'm afraid to leave it plugged in for many hours.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted October 27, 2007 04:51 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard: you can borrow my big country while you get youre's updated or i think Minaska will send you a loaner if you ask...

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Bandit
Member # 960

Icon 1 posted October 27, 2007 07:24 PM      Profile for The Bandit   Author's Homepage   Email The Bandit         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

I will personally upgrade your unit and mail it back out within 24 hrs of receiving it. If your are interested you can either shoot me an email at steve@minaskaoutdoors.com or phone 877-646-2752.

Thank you,

Steve

[ October 27, 2007, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: The Bandit ]

--------------------
Minaska Outdoors, Inc.

Posts: 49 | From: Lincoln Nebraska | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted October 28, 2007 05:37 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Geez, must be part of the same janitorial union or something. [Eek!] [Big Grin] [Wink]
I figured the opposite, Leonard. The best time, for me, would be during season so it would get back faster. They are more than likely getting changed over faster now then back 1 or 2 months ago. Having had time to work out the glitches and all.

IP: Logged
R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted October 28, 2007 07:07 PM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
Mine has the hiss as well. Really didnt think it mattered that much. I understand that the upgrade does away with the volume control knob. I won't be sending mine in because I like that feature. Makes it very easy to turn down the volume with your left hand or to give a very short burst in volume during those slow rolling stands.

Randy

Posts: 545 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters