The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » No guts, no glory... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: No guts, no glory...
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2008 01:13 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Also known as "I'd rather be lucky than good". [Smile]

A while back I mentioned I was trying some new things, artistically, on the calls I make, and that inlays would be "the next big thing" to look for.

Well, trapping has wound down, the passes are so messed up we can't reliably travel to hunt coyotes, and the avalanche danger too high to hunt cats... so I have refired the Krusty Wood Werx.

To get a jump start, I dug out all the calls I had started and had set aside for one reason or another, so I had some "test subjects" I wouldn't feel bad if I killed.
One of the big things that set some calls aside is length, my new dremel tool doesn't have the reach inside a call body that my old one did.

I rarely "practice" on a scrap or a rough blank, I generally try something new by the sink or swim method.
There was a long bodied cherry call, that didn't have much going for it in the way of real beauty, so I figured it would look good with an inlay job in the otherwise stark space between the lanyard and the bell end.

This is a preview of what I came up with, my logo inlaid in green soapstone, in a cherry wood call body.

-

It's not finished (just sanded), so the color (of the soapstone) will deepen, and the wood will brighten up some too with a clearcoat.
It's sitting on top of a quarter in the scanner, to show the scale of the inlay work.

Not bad, for my first attempt. [Big Grin]

Doing it, it seemed hard, and I was doubtful about the results, but now I can say I am pleasantly surprised by how good it came out.

One of these days I'll get brave, and see if I am lucky, or good. [Smile]

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
KevinKKaller
Knows what it's all about
Member # 559

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2008 10:10 AM      Profile for KevinKKaller   Author's Homepage   Email KevinKKaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Varry Nice
Hope to see some more!

Good Hunting Kevin

--------------------
Maker of K-Kalls

Posts: 126 | From: Idaho | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
skoal
Member # 1492

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2008 02:02 PM      Profile for skoal           Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice work Krusty
you are a true craftsman...

Posts: 251 | From: desert s.w. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2008 04:46 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
Fine job KK. Looks good for your first!

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2008 11:56 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, here's the post-view;

-

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2008 05:05 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
The inlay looks nice, but that reed apears a little stiff.

You might want to try something a little more flexable?

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2008 09:12 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a little hard to judge the perspective? I thought it was a Tiki Torch?

Good work, K. How do you do that? Is it an epoxy paste with ground up granules, or what?

Good hunting. LB

Can you retrofit?

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2008 12:29 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

Yeah you pretty much got it, it's soapstone, crushed up, then mixed with epoxy and "inlaid" (by overfilling) into a routed out area.
After the epoxy dries, the excess is removed, leaving the inlay flush with the surrounding surface.

Steve Barbour taught me, otherwise I never would have guessed how it was done, on my own.

He made me this call;

-

It's got a jet (stone) inlay, and I was fully intrigued by it.

Then, after I screwed up the mouthpiece on a particular call body, I decided to try a ring inlay to hide the tenon that joined a new mouthpiece onto said call;

-

Being a simple band, I don't consider it on the same level with the logo.
Other than using a wide flat file, it was the same process as laying in the band/lanyard grooves.

*I considered doing a stone band the width of the lanyard groove, just below the logo, but didn't want to risk losing what I had.

Because of the way it goes over the surface, and the delicate nature of a call's finish (in relation to chemical glues, and sanding), it's not something I would want to try to retrofit onto an existing call.

And as much as anything, I needed the extra thickness of an unfinished call body, to be able to sand the surface down as I do the inlay "routing", and not break through into the inside of the bell.

I'm still feeling like I got lucky, so it's not something I'm ready to try again at all... yet.

Krusty  -

--------------------

rainshadow1
Member # 899

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2008 03:11 PM      Profile for rainshadow1   Author's Homepage   Email rainshadow1         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks real good, Krusty.

--------------------
- - Steve
RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
Cougar E-Sound Library, Hand Calls, & Call-In Story Library.
www.rain-shadow.com

Posts: 152 | From: NW Washington | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
JeremyKS
Member # 736

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2008 04:40 PM      Profile for JeremyKS   Author's Homepage   Email JeremyKS         Edit/Delete Post 
very interesting looking call
Posts: 369 | From: Texas panhandle | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2008 05:04 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
COOL!!!!

Now, when I win the LOTTO I can have matching inlaid turquoise knife handles, pistol grips & calls.

Where do you obtain this 'soapstone'??

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2008 12:20 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Kokopelli,

I dunno about guns and knives, or turquoise, but I've already looked at doing "the Bringer" (in soapstone), on a call.

It's a fairly intricate character, especially on a smaller size call body, like you would want.

This particular soapstone came from a roadside cliff, on Blewett Pass.

Krusty  -

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2008 12:45 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
You have my attention!!!!!

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2008 01:24 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
It's cool and all that. But for real impact, (big time bling); could you do a ring of pave' diamonds? Maybe a California Model? lol

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2008 03:58 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

Admittedly, I know nothing about bling, especially diamonds.

I've spent some time googling, and came out of it more confused than I went in.

To my mind, the biggest problem in doing pavé-set stones, in wood, would be how to attach them permanently, in a clean way.

For the lathe guys, who already add brass and copper bands, a pavé-set ring could easily be fitted to a call, either "over-fit", or tenoned into the joint in a two piece call body.

I wouldn't want to mess with real stones (for fear of loss or damage), but I'd be willing to try a rhinestone version of your Bel Aire Blaster. [Wink]

Krusty  -

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2008 05:33 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's kinda funny, to my twisted little mind. I can imagine walking around a hunt contest with something like that around my neck, or just casually walking out to a stand with a buddy and secretly observing the doubletake. Dude, you can't set diamonds in brass! The horror, the horror!

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2008 06:00 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude,

I was taking about an actual ring, not just a cheesy brass band.

I saw a platinum band, narrow, with a single paved line of diamonds, that set the idea in my head.
Something like it could be added, in the same way as a brass band.

But $1200 worth of embellishments will never be added to a call, in my shop. [Eek!]

"...I'd be willing to try a rhinestone version of your Bel Aire Blaster."

But, if you wanted it done, and done right, I can only think of one call maker with the skilz... and that's LONEHOWL.

Krusty  -

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2008 08:18 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I know Lonehowl, but I never knew he made calls? I don't think? I'll have to give it careful thought, I ain't Jack Roberts, you know!

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2008 08:39 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

Yeah, for as long as I've known him, Lonehowl has been making amazing calls, and saying "he's not quite ready" to go into full blown production, because he's still got some things to improve on.

The call I got from him is so finely made, more than likely on a machine lathe and not a wood lathe, that it defies convention.
It's a two piece tenoned body, and even after he told me that, I had to really look at it to find the seam.
His logo is laser engraved, and the overall fit and feel of the call is "perfection".

Nobody (I know of) is doing more precise work on calls.

Seriously dude. Even if you don't do your bling thing, you need to have him make you a call.

If I whittle calls, he's a callsmith. [Wink]

Krusty  -

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2008 06:40 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Krusty;

Would 'Fire Agate' work as an inlay material, or would the process of crushing, glueing & sanding destroy the crystals?? It wouldn't be 'Calif. Bling' but for us po'folk......

You going to the fur sale on Sat. or the gun show on Sun.??

--------------------

Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2008 09:32 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Kokpelli,

Any inlay material would need to be "less hard" than garnet.

This afternoon, I'll do some research, and see what I can come up with (for choices of inlay).

I am going to the fur sale, I have some beavers (and castors) to sell.

Where is the gun show?

Krusty  -

--------------------

Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2008 10:33 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

I haven't forgotten ya.

We're still waiting on the tannery.

I've got my hoop forms all made up, and my steamer, now I just have to get all the parts in one place, and "do it".

Hopefully, it's not going to be too much longer.

Krusty  -

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2008 03:34 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty, The gun show is at Puyallup Sat. & Sun. I met up with an old friend from So.Cal today. We did Cabela's and Sportsman's Warehouse. I'm going to hit the fur sale Sat. & the gun show on Sun.

--------------------

Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted February 23, 2008 12:39 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Kokopelli,

A family emergency, of sorts, has come up and I won't be making it to the fur sale tomorrow.

Krusty  -

--------------------

Redrider
Member # 79

Icon 1 posted February 23, 2008 08:21 PM      Profile for Redrider   Email Redrider         Edit/Delete Post 
Well the family emergency resolved itself as these things usually do, I'm glad about that. I went to my first fur sale today with my big bro' Krusty, lets just say I have never been around a better or more friendly group of old duffers. There was a lot of years of knowledge in that room and the stories flowed freely. One young man of about 90 something has had a trapping license every year, except for WWII, since 1936! I enjoyed meeting Kokopelli too. Even the WDFW was kind, which in the pass has not been the case. All in all a great day.

p.s. I guess the call is O.K. too. I spose.

Redrider

[ February 23, 2008, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: Redrider ]

Posts: 27 | From: seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters