The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » Fury field tests

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fury field tests
Possumal
HONORARY CALLS FORUM MODERATOR edit: AND TOKEN LIBERAL
Member # 823

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2008 04:09 PM      Profile for Possumal   Author's Homepage   Email Possumal         Edit/Delete Post 
The weather has been so rainy here that today was the first day I had a chance to do any field testing of the new Fury. I was impressed with the reliabity of the remote. I had my buddy, Chuck, take the Fury across an open field, and he placed the called behind some big trees in thick ground cover, 306 yds. from the Fury to me. All features, including the 10 presets worked perfectly. Then he placed the caller behind a big oak, 40 yds down into the woods down a steep hill. I went 200 yds across the open field and over a dividing ridge and down to a low swag. Again, all features worked without a hitch. We also made some practical range setups in varying degrees of cover, some severely uphill and some downhill, all without a hitch. I made some pictures and marked them which should give you a pretty good idea of how demanding the first tests were. More tests next time out.

-

-

-

-

--------------------
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Posts: 781 | From: Nicholasville, Ky. | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2008 04:36 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
What good is the remote, if you call animals into an area that you can't see?

Try putting the caller closer, no more than 50 yards out, in a clump of brush that you can see a coyote approaching from any direction.

Long range remotes are a great tool, if you are setting up for long range hunting. But the object of calling coyotes, is to entice them into normal, comfortable shooting range. Well inside of 100 yards.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Possumal
Member # 823

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2008 04:58 PM      Profile for Possumal   Author's Homepage   Email Possumal         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tim. Did you not read the following part of my post: . We also made some practical range setups in varying degrees of cover, some severely uphill and some downhill, all without a hitch.

--------------------
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2008 05:23 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
It's okay, Al. I understood the demo. lol

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2008 07:46 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim Behle,
The remote control units on all other available electronic caller have been known to fail at fifty yards distance, and sometimes even less when conditions are less than perfect. A remote control that is now available with the new Foxpro Fury is so far advanced that it allows for reliable peformance in conditions that more than a few predator hunters work under. Just ask Steve Craig how many times he would have loved to own a caller such as the Fury when calling for cougar. Hell, I have cussed many times while calling coyotes in the loess hills of Iowa, and had the dang remote control fail at fifty yards. A remote control that works at 700 plus yards in good conditions, is much more likely to be reliable under even the toughest of conditions a hunter is working in. No hunter is actually going to set his caller 700 yards away. All we have been wanting is a caller with a remote that is reliable in hunting conditions. No more need to hang the caller up in a tree to be sure the remote works. No more carrying a tripod into the desert to hang your caller on so that your inferior remote will work. Starting to get the mesage now Mr. Behle? Don't make me come knock on your door now buddy. [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2008 08:57 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No more need to hang the caller up in a tree to be sure the remote works
What brand of E-caller do you have to do that with??

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
howler
Knows what it's all about
Member # 197

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2008 10:47 AM      Profile for howler   Email howler         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, a remote that is flawless at 2 or 3 hundred yards is going to work flawlessly at the distances I like 25 to 100 yards. and I agree no more using a tripod to get your caller off the ground so it will work.
 -

--------------------
Powder River let'r Buck

Posts: 53 | From: Glasgow, Montana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Patterson
19.6 miles down the Yellow Brick Road from THE EMERALD CITY
Member # 3304

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2008 12:14 PM      Profile for Patterson   Email Patterson         Edit/Delete Post 
"practical" ?????
Posts: 236 | From: Kansas | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Cranky Farmer
Member # 3029

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2008 04:48 PM      Profile for Cranky Farmer   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
This thing should make the FX3's and Fx5's pretty cheap!

--------------------
~Heath

Posts: 68 | From: SoCal | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2008 06:31 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
I still like the idea of the caller being elevated, not so much for the remote but to get the sound to carry better. It does make a tremendous difference to get the caller even a foot off of the ground.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2008 06:52 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey old man, Any time you feel up to dragging your old butt off of the couch, come on down and Knock on the door.

But how can you blame an old Traper from screwing with a possum when he sees one? I understood the post, just couldn't resist the temptation.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2008 07:20 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"Hey old man, Any time you feel up to dragging your old butt off of the couch, come on down and Knock on the door"
----------------------
I'm gonna take that as an open invitation Tim. I hope you have plenty of coffee. [Wink] I knew that your comments were tounge in cheek. The possom needs a bit of ribbing now and then anyway. [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2008 07:21 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm like Cal. I like to get the call elevated, whenever I can. I like to see it, as a point of reference, and to improve the line of sight. While it's great to be able to control it on the far side of a hill, even if I had the capability, I would much prefer to have it where I know where it is and observe the animals zoning in on it.

Good hunting. LB

edit: old man? Huh? You must be talking to Cronk? lol

[ December 29, 2008, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2008 04:35 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Question; Just curious, how much does the rain degrade the remote signal over distance??

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2008 04:52 AM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
On my big country I have a length of parachute cord wrapped around the handle, I'm like 3 toes if I can elevate the caller I can get it to carry further and at times hide the caller better creating more milling effect.

The cord allows me not to have to pack a tri pod and I can hand it from the fence post in the pic or a limb or what ever else is handy to hang it from while saving space and weight!

I have also in a bottom "low spot" took large cow pies and stacked them and set the caller on that as mentioned even a little elevation can make a differance.

Possum al why would you want the caller out of your line of sight? In realioty my big country will give me 100 yards in the toughest conditions I have and that is plenty most of the time. I set the caller up in a good spot to carry sound then I find the best spot for me to sit or prone out in relation to the caller,sun and wind.

--------------------
This is done on my time and my dime. My views may differ from those of others!

Posts: 376 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Possumal
Member # 823

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2008 08:09 AM      Profile for Possumal   Author's Homepage   Email Possumal         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi CoyoteWhacker. Testing out the reliability of the remote under the ultimate trying setups is a good way to see how well it is apt to work if you have the caller down in a sinkhole 10 feet or so. You'd be surprised what an effective set that can be. If the sinkhole is 150 yds. from your perch, it is nice to know your caller will work. Leonard understands the value of these tests. [Wink]

Kokopelli, I'll never be able to answer your question about how bad the signal gets degraded over distance by the rain. If its raining hard, I won't be out there. Even if I were, I couldn't hear the thing with all that rain pounding on my pink umbrella. [Big Grin]

Tim, am I handling the ribbing any better? By the way, what is an old "Traper"? [Smile]

--------------------
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Okanagan
Budding Spin Doctor
Member # 870

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2008 08:52 AM      Profile for Okanagan           Edit/Delete Post 
These new improved reports are always kind of funny to me. Good for the Fury: they are finally catching up to what's been needed and what has been around awhile already. From what I hear from others, apparently I got an exceptionally good Bandit, but having the remote work at well over 300 yards, and when the unit is set on the ground behind a hill, etc. has been standard for me for the past two years.

I prefer to see the call but there are terrain features like sink-holes, small swales, some ravines, etc. where having the call unseen and out of line of sight is my idea of a good set-up in that spot.

Another chuckle is the insistence that no one ever has any reason to place a caller a long ways out, more than 100 yards. The assumptions behind that make the walls of a very small box. In certain situations I can and do set the call a LONG ways from me. And yet I expect a close range shot.

We're getting better gear all the time, and that's good. IMO, if Loudmouth hadn't come out, FP would not have innovated the FX3 for years. The competition accelerated improvements offered to hunters. Minaska offerings prodded them into several improvements and new offerings, including the Scorpion and their version of the all in one. Whatever anyone says about the earlier WT legalities, the remotes worked a LONG ways out there, pushing the others to improve remote range. We users keep benefitting.

PS I was writing a post and missed Possumal's comments about sink-holes and so duplicated his comments.

[ December 30, 2008, 08:57 AM: Message edited by: Okanagan ]

Posts: 269 | From: 49th Parrallel | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Okanagan
Budding Spin Doctor
Member # 870

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2008 10:52 AM      Profile for Okanagan           Edit/Delete Post 
Kokopelli

Re rain degarding the signal:

I've never had any trouble with remote signals in rain but have never set a long ways out, more than 100 yards I don't recall, in heavy rain. AM radio signals seem to improve in rain, on my vehicle anyway, but have no idea if that has any relevance to e-call remotes.

Y'all should call predators on the West End of the Olympic Penninsula some time, just for the life experience. That's true rain forest. Makes a man appreciate desert. The west coast of Vancouver Island is similar. If you don't hunt in rain, you don't hunt.

Posts: 269 | From: 49th Parrallel | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2008 12:19 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Okanagan;
Been there, done that, moved to Arizona and am attempting to purge the memories of those years by watching sunsets & consuming mint juleps when I'm not hunting.

I suspect that a person has to be born to that rainforest climate.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2008 09:46 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like they fixed thier remote problem , line of sight and all that.
I have set my caller 100+ yards upwind to put the coyote between me and the caller works sometimes and then you get some that come right to the caller. I also like to elevate the caller hanging in a tree if available but even on the ground I tilt the caller at an upward angle in hopes of getting the sound out there. I had a few issues with the fx5 at first but its been flawless since.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted December 31, 2008 10:13 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, shouldn't you be out hunting lions?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2008 01:21 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm back , the roads would thaw out around 10:30 a.m. and it was like trying to drive in soup ,made for a short hunting day, got frustrating , will go back as soon as the roads clear up. I'll be in New Mexico Fri.& Sat. but not looking for cats. Clint got the hall pass and were goin callin. Hey Vic & Tim we'll wave as we drive by.
Happy new year to you Leonard and all the Huntmasters......

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters