The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » If you could have only one coyote rifle.. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: If you could have only one coyote rifle..
skoal
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1492

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2008 03:13 PM      Profile for skoal           Edit/Delete Post 
What would it be?
Posts: 251 | From: desert s.w. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2008 04:20 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Wanna get "Banned from the Forum" on the darkside, after being vilified? Just remember, there is only 1 possibility, and it starts with a 1. This is out of order, but have you ever seen a coyote blown to hell with God's caliber?

Okay, anyway. (inside joke)

The correct answer would be a 22-250 but just for laughs, let's view some replies, shall we?

Come on, don't be scared!

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2008 05:16 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I ain't scared of nothing.. !7 Pred. all the way baby... [Razz] [Razz]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2008 06:53 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
(1) 12 gauge pump.

(2) .223 Mini-14

(3) Savage .223/12ga O/U.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
mifox
Member # 721

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2008 07:31 PM      Profile for mifox           Edit/Delete Post 
.222, and yes I'm old.
Posts: 11 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted May 12, 2008 07:47 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
koko, the man said to PICK ONE! But, I got to admit, your number 2 is (edit: interesting)

Good hunting. LB

[ May 12, 2008, 08:01 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2008 08:01 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like the man prefers shotguns over a rifle..LOL

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
honestjohn
Member # 2651

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2008 08:41 PM      Profile for honestjohn   Email honestjohn         Edit/Delete Post 
I must be getting old also,the .222 is what I use the most.I think it is because I miss less frequent with it.LOL
Posts: 14 | From: Waco, TX | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2008 08:43 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to The New Huntmasters, honestjohn. Glad to have you on board.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Q-Wagoner
FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2008 08:57 PM      Profile for Q-Wagoner           Edit/Delete Post 
I have shot a few with the 220 and it works well.

Good hunting.

Q,

Posts: 617 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2008 08:59 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Leo, this concept of 'pick just one gun'..........I don't understand it. Those are the ones that I keep handy in the truck, to pick from stand to stand.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2008 05:31 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
It would be a .24 caliber for me. Either a .243 or a 6mm. I already have one of each and could survive fine with either. It would be a bolt gun, both of mine are Sakos. Minimum 24 inch barrel.

I will admit I sure like my AR in .204 but the question was one rifle so I'll stick with the old solid all conditions standby.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2008 05:53 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the AR's, but if I could only have one coyote rifle it would be my old 22-250 bolt gun.
Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Catfish
PAKMAN
Member # 2592

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2008 07:25 AM      Profile for Catfish           Edit/Delete Post 
Skoal,
Are you crazy??? ONLY ONE coyote rifle???? That`s crazy!!! I carry 2 in my pick-up at all time, some times more. I`ve got them in .17 cal, .20 cal, .22 cal, .24 cal, .25 cal, and .284 cal, and you want me to go down to just 1????? NO WAY BABY !!!!!!

--------------------
Catfish

Posts: 8 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
skoal
Member # 1492

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2008 09:32 AM      Profile for skoal           Edit/Delete Post 
Hang on Catfish , Its only a question not a proposal. I have two good shooting 22-250's and a couple of ar's as well as a couple of shot guns just for predators. I was thinking of having another ar in .204 and just wanted to see if anyone mentioned the caliber , it got little note which makes me question my thinking,this is a good thing,Thanks for all the responses.
(edit) to note yes I am crazy.

[ May 13, 2008, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: skoal ]

skoal
Member # 1492

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2008 10:19 AM      Profile for skoal           Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Taylor
You mentioned your AR in .204 What do you like about it and what keeps it in the armory rather than in the field. with my current AR's both in .223 one has a heavy bbl and is in fact heavy as well as loud it stays home alot, my other is just a vanilla stag arms its just boring.
I was wanting a .204 with as short a bbl as possible wthout defeating the .204 and as light as it can be made.as well as some cool finish just to make me want to pick it up.

[ May 13, 2008, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: skoal ]

JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2008 11:46 AM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
22-250, sporter weight, 24" barrel.
Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2008 12:44 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
If you are asking the question, if you could only have an AR in one caliber to coyote hunt with………….I would say the 204…..

Not Cal and I would like to see what he has to say also, but I would offer this.
I bought a couple of 204 upper last summer. I sold one to a buddy and had a lighter one built. It has a 21” Shilen barrel turned to .660 in front of and under the hand guard. I went with a 21” after looking at the report Bullberry put out on 204 barrel length verses velocity. It weighs comparable to a 16” HBar (.750) profiled upper.

I emailed Cal last summer also to ask him what bullet and real world performance he was getting in his upper. On his recommendation and others I visited with, I loaded up some 35gr Berger’s.
I used the 204, 233 and 25WSSM uppers last year and I know I shot over thirty coyotes with the 204. Only one was not recovered. I do have to say that Bean found a couple that I had shot broadside and they left the scene into the high grass. The same as they would with the 223 every now and again.
This combo was easy on fur and I had no exits on cats as close as 15 steps.
Kelly

-

one with the new pup JRT doing tricks

-

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2008 01:44 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
204, 233 and 25WSSM uppers
Umm? Should we assume a typo, Kelly?

Personal to Paul
Don't do it, big fella! In the name of all that's Holy! It's like crack. You start out with just a taste and before you realize it, it's semiauto city. Besides, one good shot is all you need?

You know; Byron uses an AR. Need I say more?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kelly Jackson
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2008 01:57 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
L. Yep typo. 233 should have been 223....and you are right you can't hardly stop at one.....but Paul said he already has a couple....it already too late for him I am afraid...
skoal
Member # 1492

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2008 02:51 PM      Profile for skoal           Edit/Delete Post 
Cant wait til its time to go after em again and I can stop all this nonsense in the off time!
Your right Kelly its been too late for me for along time! and dont worry Leonard ther is no .17 in my future. I dont shoot prairie dogs Yet.......

Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2008 10:10 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have to say that the closest to perfect, across the board coyote rifle would be the 22-250.

But for myself, I prefer the 17 Remington.

As for actions, why would any one who knows how to shoot, choose anything but a bolt action?

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2008 05:06 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Only ONE coyote rifle? .243 Winchester with 24 inch barrel.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2008 08:57 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
For 18 years it was a .22-250,the last 3 were the .204.Both were great.

But this year I will probably shoot my new .17 Remington Exclusively....

Next year it may be the .14 walker.....LOL

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2008 09:02 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm going to be sick! BOO!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters