The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » What Caliber is your Coyote Rifle? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What Caliber is your Coyote Rifle?
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted July 22, 2003 04:05 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Kinda embarrassing to say in this crowd when reading that most have several calibers for predator hunting. But I only own one caliber that I consider designed for predators. 22.250.

Greenside, I see you mentioned the .260 Rem? How do you like this caliber for a deer,antelope, heavy coyote cartridge? I know a guy who wants to sell one at a very fair price. I was tossing around the idea of getting it for when my boys get old enough to hunt or when the wife wants to hunt. Any thoughts would appreciated. Thanks

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 14 posted July 22, 2003 07:07 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Lonny, you picked a good one, to start with, so you don't need anything else.

Sounds smart, to me.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted July 23, 2003 06:36 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Lonny

For me, the .260 was purchased for an alternative round for my .264 I've owned the 264 since 1968 and really got to like the ballistics of the 6.5 bullets. The problem I have with the 264 is that it kicks like a mule. It's a 700 ADL 26" fast taper barrel with no recoil pad. A very light gun that when loaded with around 70 grs of powder it could turn into a real eye bunger, no matter what bullet weight was used. That gun will give you a major flich problem when shooting multiple rounds.
I mostly used 90 gr hollow points in .264 and it basically turned coyotes inside out. Diffinetly red mist rounds.

The 260 is a Rem 700 VLS with a 26" Bull Barrel. A heavy gun with marginal recoil. Fun gun to shoot. I'm still working on load development, haven't really found one to group tight. The gun has shot 120 BT's at around 3050 ft\sec, not to shabby in my book!

So far I have only shot a few coyotes with it. No deer or antelope as of yet. I'm sure it would work very will for both species.

Dennis

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
RayG
Knows what it's all about
Member # 9

Icon 1 posted July 23, 2003 11:24 AM      Profile for RayG   Email RayG         Edit/Delete Post 
Greenside,
A .264 Sierra 100 gr hollowpoint, and it does create a lot of damage. Not something to use if you are interested in fur gathering, that's for certain. Come to think of it, I don't think I have any bullets any heavier than 100 gr. in that caliber.

--------------------
RG

If you don't vote, don't offer your opinions about the outcome.

Posts: 34 | From: Corvallis, MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted July 23, 2003 04:10 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dennis. I was thinking the 120 BT might be a nice bullet for the .260 Rem. I was also thinking the 100gr. Partition might be nice for deer or antelope. The 100gr. Partition might not wreck a coyote too terribly bad either if used on one while deer hunting in November and wanted to save the hide.
Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2003 10:04 AM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
I think all of you can tell I am a gunaholic.  -

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2003 10:39 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Ronnie,

That black gun at the bottom. How do you like the holosite rig for predators? I've been thinking of setting up my 835 with one, but it's so handy for everything else, I hesitate to mess with it.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2003 11:14 AM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Only had it two weeks. Think I am going to really like it. Will be super fast for that second, Are even third Coyote.

The is the Mod II which I think is a great improvement over Mod I. Nothing shabby about the Mod I though.

--------------------

WhiteMtnCur
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2003 01:13 PM      Profile for WhiteMtnCur   Author's Homepage   Email WhiteMtnCur         Edit/Delete Post 
Ronnie, one more question about the holosite. How easy is target acquisition with the one you have? Does it seem to slow you down at all compared to open sights, or is it still pretty fast?
Posts: 97 | From: Nevada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curt2u
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2003 02:02 PM      Profile for Curt2u   Email Curt2u         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to butt in. I did some work on a AR for a SERT team member recently. He had the Holosite on it. Not sure which. He uses it for an entry gun. Flashlights, lasers and picatinney rails all over the dang thing. Took it out to test fire it after the work was done and was very impressed. All the shooting was between 70 and 100 yards. Keeping shots on a paper plate off hand was easy. I thought target acquisition was faster than iron sights. For close work it would be a great tool. On a shotgun it would be even better yet! I want one.
Posts: 236 | From: NW | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
BillfMO
Member # 192

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2003 04:04 PM      Profile for BillfMO   Email BillfMO         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll put my 2 cents in on the holsite. I have had an EOtech sight now for about 2 months. For fast target acquistion it can't be bet in my book. One con is not being about to pick out the target that is out there 1 to 200 yds behind a tree or something. With a scope you may be able to see that you have a open shot, but without magnification you can't tell if you have a shot or not. On a open target this sight is good for 0-200 yd. As I have shot many quart oil cans at 200+ yds. The EOtech has a 1 MOA dot covering 2" at 200. Not so big that it covers the whole kill zone. I have at this time went back to a 1.5X4.5 shotgun scope that I got early this summer for the magnification. This fall I most likely will give the EO a try though. As with any and all things there are pro's & con's.
BillfMO
Member # 192

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2003 04:55 PM      Profile for BillfMO   Email BillfMO         Edit/Delete Post 
Guess I hit the add button to soon. I left out the most important pro for the holosight in my book. When I am on stand here you can get caught with your pants down so to speak. You never know Mr Coyote is there until he sticks out his head at 30-50 yds. You may get the rifle up but not been able to get into the stock the way you should. With the EO as long as you can see the dot and it is in the kill zone he's dead. With scopes I think I have missed more times because of just that than anything else.
brad h
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2003 06:43 PM      Profile for brad h   Email brad h         Edit/Delete Post 
I use a Ruger 220 Swift. That's my money gun. When that's wore out I have another just like it I'll start using. My non fur gun will be my "built some time in the 50s" Win Mod. 70 270. I inherited it from my grandpa. It touches holes on paper at 100 yds. How many rounds have gone through it, I'll never know. Why it shoots like that, I'll never know. What I do know is I'll have a lot of fun with it if I can pry myself away from that Swift.

Brad

Posts: 346 | From: Glendive MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2003 07:25 PM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
BillFMO. You are right about the pants down thing. I shot it right handed, Left handed. I then rested the rifle between my knees with the stock about 10" in front of my chest. Then turned it sideways.

It just dosen't matter. Where ever the dot is so goes the bullet.

--------------------

Bofire
READ MY LIPS!
Member # 221

Icon 6 posted July 25, 2003 04:19 PM      Profile for Bofire   Author's Homepage   Email Bofire         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all, I am new here.
I am an old fart and some other boards have caled me a fossil. I shot the barrel out of a Garand when I was 13, shot the barrel out of a 7mmMag. at 25.My fav. caliber of all time is the 300 Win Mag. and it(they) have killed a number of yotes and game, at long range I love the caliber and load. for yotes in "perticerler" I started using a 223 and so far it "pops and flops" however I am a careful shot and will not shoot unless sure. Although I know a miss will hapen sooner or later.
There are many fine calibers, I love the 22-250 but don't own one,did before, I bet it works good.
Don't worry about it, get a call go hunting, have fun, they all work.
Carl

Posts: 322 | From: Wild West | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 2 posted July 25, 2003 07:57 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, doggone if I didn't forget to welcome you to the New Huntmasters, Bofire! I guess it's because I have talked with you in the PM chat room before?

Anyway, glad to have you on board!

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

jerry
Member # 195

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2003 09:30 PM      Profile for jerry   Email jerry         Edit/Delete Post 
I have taken most of my coyotes with my a.r., 16 inch bushmaster , But ill admit most of my coyotes are called in and harvested at 70 yrds or less , most much less . i also have used a model 7 in 223 , a H and r ultra varminter, older L-461 sako action . in 223 , and a sig arms in 25-06. I just got a tikka 22-250 and plan on useing it this season . ( maybe) LOL. its pretty hard to leave the a.r. at home , its become part of my body , and i miss very few with it . I agree the 223 is best used for 300 yrds and less , 300 yrds is a push , but i have sure dropped them out there with it . I think bullet choice is the most important issue . i found the 40 gr. b.t. to be lacking in a 223 if used at extended ranges . my favorite fur friendly round is the sierra 52 gr. hollow point . Anchors them just fine for me .

--------------------
heck yeah Ill take my wife callin, when she learns how to skin a coyote.

Posts: 30 | From: washington state | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters