The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » best powder for 223 AI? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: best powder for 223 AI?
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted September 23, 2005 09:47 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Here are some numbers to consider.

But first, before I put them out here, a couple of caveats that I’d like to be clear on. First and foremost, I’m not out to change any opinions. Trying to change minds is just not my game, period. Especially on the subject of .17’s and coyotes. I simply refuse to “debate” the subject with anyone as my time is too valuable to me to waste on that. I’ll occasionally try and post some facts, like I’m doing here, but I usually end up regretting even that. Second, while I’m about to give some numbers, which can be taken as “facts”, I’m more than well aware that numbers do not even begin to tell the whole story. Results in the field are what matter and numbers can be pretty misleading at times. Also, the old golf bag approach is still my method of operation. For me there is no single chambering, or rifle to cover every situation. Indeed, no cartridge based on the .223 would ever be my first choice for a night hunting rig.

So, anyway… Leonard you mentioned having a distinct impression that the .17 Rem. Is a 150 yard gun. That’s a pretty common impression. If you look at the 300 yard energy figures for your new .223AI vs. my .17 Predator though, you’d probably be surprised. Assuming that you’ll be getting 3450 fps with Sierra 1365’s (which would be my choice of bullet), at 300 yards you’ll have 647 ft/lb’s left, vs. 605 ft/lb’s for my 30 gr. Kindler’s leaving my .17P at 4060 fps. A difference of only 42 ft/lb’s at 300 yards. But it gets worse (for your .223AI) as distance increases. By 400 yards, you’re down to 477 ft/lb’s and my .17P is now slightly ahead with 492 ft/lb’s. And of course, the .17P pulls steadily ahead from there with the gap widening further as distance increases. That’s the energy numbers. The .17P just flat whomps the .223AI’s ass on trajectory and wind deflection – 6.3” of 10MPH wind deflection at 300 for the .17P vs. 10.3” for the .223AI (that really IS a pretty big difference!).

Now, I AM guilty of classic statistical manipulation here, in that I’m comparing my .17P, not the .17 Rem., and the .17P does have greater performance. If you wanted to switch things around a bit, and compare typical .17 Rem. Performance using the same 30 gr. Bullet, and say switch the 55GK in your .223AI for a more streamlined 55 Vmax, things would be different. But the real point is that the .17 caliber is capable of delivering significantly better downrange performance that most uniformed people tend to believe. The numbers above for my .17P are real, measured, working load numbers. Not theory. Simply put, it delivers 400 ft/lb’s of energy at 500 yards, has flatter trajectory and less wind drift than all but the very hottest .220 Swift 55 gr. Bullet loads, and delivers all this in a package that allows a clear view of shot impact through the scope and is generally very kind to fur. The rifle is just pure pleasure to shoot. Again, I am NOT trying to change opinions, I’m just excited about my new rifle – it kicks ass!

I ought to throw out a few numbers on the Tac .20 here too. But again, a couple quick caveats first. The big one is that I AM a fan of the .20’s. I think they have tremendous potential. The problem right now though, in my opinion, is bullet selection. That said, I’m confident that there will be a steadily increasing selection of better and better .20 caliber bullets becoming available. Chad has chosen the 35 Berger for his coyote loads. That’s the bullet I’m thinking I’ll most likely end up wanting to use in this Tac .20 as well. So, that’s the bullet I’m using for comparison sake here. I’m assuming 4000 fps muzzle velocity for it. Unfortunately, this bullet has a really poor BC of only .191, which really hampers it’s long range performance. On the other hand, in the real world, the poor long range numbers won’t actually make any difference most of the time. Anyway… Looking only at the numbers, and using the bullets and velocities already mentioned, the Tac .20 doesn’t compare too well to the others at 300 yards, and starts falling rapidly further behind from there. The 35 Berger starting at 4000 fps has only 530 ft/lb’s of energy left at 300, but does slightly beat the 55GK in 10MPH wind deflection with 9.6”. Again, I want to be really clear that I DO know how much different these numbers could be using different bullets. But, the fact is, that this is the bullet I think I’d be most likely to use on coyotes right now, so that’s the one I chose for comparison. And, although this load has less energy at 300 yards than either Leonard’s .223AI or my .17P, it’s not like 530 ft/lb’s isn’t “enough”. Again, it’s real world performance on the ground that matters, which only experience can tell us about, and the numbers be damned.

I think this should cover my usual “one long winded post every 3 months” quota, so I’ll now return you to your normal programming… [Smile]

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted September 23, 2005 10:29 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Great post Dave.That .17 predator with the Kindlers really intrigues me.If I didn't love my .20 so much I might have to buy one. [Smile] I really don't like the B.C(.191) on the 35 gr Berger either but it does seem to be the best COYOTE/FUR bullet available at this time.And for MOST of my shots it will do just fine(0-250).I too believe that there are going to be some better coyote bullets for the .20's in the near future.Then watch out! [Wink] I know Nosler has announced that they will have a bullet/bullets coming out the first of Dec.I Heard it could be an Accubond 35-38 grain with High B.C (.280-.300)So that is promising.I'm sure that the better bullets will come,the .20 cal's are just to promising of a round not to succeed.I love my 22-250,223AI,and 221FB but they don't see much action anymore because I am having so much Damn fun shooting my .20. [Smile] GOOD HUNTING Chad

[ September 23, 2005, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 23, 2005 11:14 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent reply, Dave. I understand what you are doing, and it seems to be working, on paper and in the back of the truck. If, (big if) I were to come into some money, and needed a 17 to round out the arsenal, I would probably choose the Predator?

Golf bag. Same here, you are not going to catch me using anything less than 22-250 with 55 grain bullets, at night.

Golf bag. I have no intention of shooting this 223AI at anywhere near 300 yards, my guess is that I won't be using it at anything past 200 yards, and I have not crunched any numbers, but my intuition tells me that it should be adequate for that application, which is strictly daylight hunting in moderately heavy cover. By that I mean, views are restricted, here and there, so that most shooting won't be much beyond 100 yards. Not brush choked, in the classic sense.

For my purposes, I think it will do quite well, compared to those mentioned, and I have a definite preference for the 55 VMax, so I think it would/could stretch the (self imposed) limit to 300, if a crosser were to jump up? I'm not above drilling any coyote I see, regardless if it's called, or not.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
pup
Knows what it's all about
Member # 90

Icon 1 posted September 23, 2005 02:25 PM      Profile for pup           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the post Dave!!

I will still be using the Tac20, but I just have to walk the 223AI, every once in a while. I'll have to vet wrap it though, as it is way to pretty and shiny.

I use the .243 at night, when I get a chance to go. Old habits are hard to break.

After owning and using a Tac20, I must say that for me bullet placement is crucial. I had to trail a few until I learned NOT to hold over/high in kill until 300. The runners that I had were from my error of shots high in the kill, or rather at my aiming point. Once I got used to the flat trajectory , with the 40gr berger, mine has performed quite nicely.

Dave , what is the 17Predator based on?

later pup

Posts: 213 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted September 23, 2005 03:14 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Good post DAA.

I dont have the knowlege to even try to make a post like that. But, I have killed alot (relatively) of coyotes with the 223 AI. So, I do feel comfortable saying this.

Leonard, I understand you want to use the 55gr Vmax. At least take a look at the 52gr Amax. I had/have really good luck with it. Dont go out and load this without me looking, but I believe 26.8gr of H335 is what I loaded. I would have to look though. Not sure as I havent loaded any in a while. I usually load a buttload of ammo at a sitting and then dont have to for a long while. Although I need some more of them soon.

That bullet works very well for me. Alot of bang flops. It seems to do well if you hit a bone (penetrates without splash) and yet frangible enough to keep from having exits with a good chest shot (alot of the time).

Do what you want, of course, but I would definitely give that bullet a try. It does a fantastic job for me in my 223AI.

Good Luck
Andy

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted September 23, 2005 04:14 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent piece of writing Dave!

You might not have set out to change anyone's mind but you threw out some very convincing evidence.

If I remember right, aren't you using a 26" Lilja barrel on your .17 Pred?

Another thing Dave. I was looking at the Mike Bryant custom rifles photo gallery and I noticed a Nesika K .243AI with a Nightforce scope. The owner had the same last name as yours and I wondered if there was a connection?

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted September 24, 2005 05:42 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Lonny, that Nesika .243AI was built for my Dad. It's mine now, and a mighty fine rifle. I'm using a 24" Lilja on my .17P. Dan Clements has a 26" on his, and gets about 50 fps more with the same loads, he's running the 30 Gold's at a solid 4100 fps. For me though, 24" is about as long as I care to go for a rifle that gets used on every stand.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Timberghozt
Knows what it's all about
Member # 707

Icon 1 posted September 24, 2005 06:06 PM      Profile for Timberghozt   Author's Homepage   Email Timberghozt         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Leonard.Just my two cents worth bud but I use Varget in my 223AI.Mine is a 16 inch stainless steel fluted bull barrel with a 1 in 9 inch twist.I am able to keep it under 1/2 inch if Im shooting good that day.Kirby Allen of Allen precision shooting managed to group it near 1/4 inch with a 40 gr Sierra Blitzking using either H335 or BLC-2,I can`t recall exactly his choice of powder.I will accept sub 1/2 inch any day at 100 yards prone with a bag on the front.I use Varget in my regular 223 Rem that I coyote hunt with using 40 grain Hornady VMAX and it shoots routinely in the low .3`s.I also use it in my 7x57 custom,and both of my 308 Wins.The velocity may not be as much as with BL(C)-2 but the accuracy is there and thats what I`m after.H335 OR VARGET OR Win 748 are relatively close in burnrate so any would likely be a good choice along with Hodgdons BenchMark I have heard great stuff about.I`ll be sticking with VARGET though.I have about 10 different powders I use and I don`t really want to buy any new kinds.Id rather buy Varget in 8pound jugs than a pound of this,pound of that kinda thing.If you are interested in any specific accuracy load with Varget,Ill be glad to share just let me know... [Wink]
This is how it shoots prone with bags.Off the bench it should be much better as Kirby said he was able to get it.I don`t see as well as I once did but this plenty coyote killing close enough for me..
 -
I`m fixing to do some 75 gr AMAX loads too with it.I was able to get sub 1 inch groups easily in intial testing with them and I used 68 gr Hornady BTHP`s in it in an online challenge with 3, 10 shot ,100 yard groups sub 1 inch averaged..I like the 223 AI a lot.I like a 220 Swift more but it is fun to play with these AI`s.. [Wink]

[ September 24, 2005, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: Timberghozt ]

--------------------
http://www.handloadersbench.com

Posts: 48 | From: Salado, Texas | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 24, 2005 11:48 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, just something different. For serious hunts, I would use something with a little more authority, but I'm a little more laid back nowadays. I have hunted a lot of contests and want anything called to be killed dead. That means 220 Swift, or better, for me.

I haven't decided on powder, I was looking at some Accurate 2460, showed good numbers and I have a private party wants to sell an 8 lb jub for $70. If he answers his phone, maybe I might go that way? If he don't I might buy either Varget or 335?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters