The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Perfect Predator gun (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Perfect Predator gun
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2006 05:55 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, I ordered two barrels from Dan last month. He charged me full price! [Smile]

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
catskin
Knows what it's all about
Member # 51

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2006 08:24 PM      Profile for catskin           Edit/Delete Post 
I also built a 17 Predator Tim, it still has a the factory Model Seven stock though - I used a 26" #2 Lilja - it 'fits' really nice and handles well with a 3x9x40 3200 scope - I may keep the stock - those M7 stocks fit us small guys pretty good. What you need is five barrels for a better price [Smile] I'll take at least one.

We will be down your way the week after next, save Mike Shaun and I at least enough time for a beer or six.

[ January 05, 2006, 08:28 PM: Message edited by: catskin ]

Posts: 76 | From: Oregon | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2006 10:19 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I just went back and reread the original question. All this time, I was thinking of a perfect rifle for the average predator hunter. Not so, it's what do I think.

The best all around rifle I own is a 22-250 Ackley. It has probably killed XXX coyotes, some close, some way out yonder. Literally, I can't miss with that gun. I'm going to ask my son if he can recall that I ever missed a coyote with that particular rifle, because I can't?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2006 12:09 AM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard I have a modicum of a idea of the number of Coyotes you have killed. If you have one that you have never missed with. I don't care what caliber it is, what brand. I think you have defined the perfect Coyote gun. I will even through in a couple of points for it's owners shooting skills.

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheHuntedOne
Member # 623

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2006 08:49 AM      Profile for TheHuntedOne   Author's Homepage   Email TheHuntedOne         Edit/Delete Post 
The best gun for me depends on where I am hunting. Mostly I use a Mossberg 935 12 gauge with a red dot scope on the ground, but if there is a chance that I will also get to hunt a farm with some fields I will take the Browning BAR also with a red dot in 243. If I am going to be hunting out of the tree stands, I take the Savage in 243 which has a regular scope on it.

I like the autos because of the close in action and the sometimes need for quick second shots when two or more show up, not because I am an eastern hunter who can't shoot [Smile] 21 years in the Marine Corps, I may not be as good as some of you folks, but I can hold my own in a firefight.

Al
THO Custom Game Calls

--------------------
The On Line Resource For Custom Call Makers

THO Game Calls

Posts: 266 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2006 06:49 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
The perfect predator gun for me would be one of them ol' fashioned giant shotguns, they used to use to shoot whole flocks of ducks. [Razz]

I could call for a while, then just blow the whole woods to hell, and go see what I killed. [Smile]

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jack Roberts
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2006 10:41 PM      Profile for Jack Roberts   Email Jack Roberts         Edit/Delete Post 
You nailed it Krusty, those punt guns were awesume. However, I always thought they were an East Coast thing, mostly around the Chesapeake Bay. Never heard of any being used in the West.

Jack

Posts: 499 | From: Elko NV formerly MD | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2006 05:19 AM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty,

I made a post over on [PM], awhile back. About shooting/killing coyotes "well past" 50-60yrds max...HUH! [Confused] . With my 12ga 3" [non-tubed...duh! [Big Grin] ] 36" barrel Marlin Goose Gun.

Caught some flak over that post, LOL! Most folks don't/didn't buy into that [Roll Eyes] . They never tried it [Roll Eyes]

I guess I was "leading" "some" "new-guys" a stray [Roll Eyes]

#3 & #00 Buck, will knock a coyote, like a Mack truck way out there.

ex-long range shotgunner-dogs [Big Grin]

Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2006 07:35 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Better be careful 2dogs.

Some critters get pissed whn you just fling lead in the air in their general direction.

-

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2006 10:13 AM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
LOL! Tim

cats; The other white meat [Smile]

La meow-dogs [Big Grin]

Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doggitter
Member # 489

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2006 08:22 PM      Profile for Doggitter   Email Doggitter         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, maybe you'll have to build a little boomer like I'ma gonna make. .17DG. Shortened swift case, so I can use my .243 as a base. I can't remember so I'll blame it on Dave that said I'll absolutely, positively, fersuredly get 30's @ 4,200 feets per secands. :>) [Big Grin]

[ January 11, 2006, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: Doggitter ]

Posts: 273 | From: Oregon rain forest | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2006 11:06 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Jack,

You used to be an east coast thing... and yer doin' okay out here. No? [Wink]

Hey, if nothing else, there'd be a shooting lane there (where I fired the punt gun) for a few months.

2Dogs,

Some folks just don't like anything.

And that's all I have to say about that. [Roll Eyes]

Krusty  -

[ January 10, 2006, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: Krustyklimber ]

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2006 03:35 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Doggitter,

That Dave is definitly a bad influence. We need to be on guard against him. [Wink]

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2006 07:47 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Heck, Tim. Buy two. They don't last long. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters