The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Getting a Lilja barrel group buy together. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Getting a Lilja barrel group buy together.
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2006 09:30 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm probably looking at only 1,000 rounds for throat life, So if you haven't already ordered it, make mine both in SS. If you've already placed the call, don't worry, Dan will make me a new one when I burn out the throat in this one.

Dan and I talked about the grooves, and he came right out and said he didn't like the four groove barrels that he makes. He said they were too tight and I'd be better off with a six groove.

Kirby and I have been swapping emails about his 7AM. I'd been wanting to build an STW, but I'd like to get away from the belt. He thinks with a 162 Amax I should be able to get +3,500. I'd been hoping for something in the 3400-3450 range.

I figure it would make a nifty little coyote sniping rifle, and if I ever get drawn for Antelope or Elk, It'd do the trick there as well.

Barrel makers like Dan Lilja, have got to love big case designers like Kirby Allen. [Wink]

Loren and Jack,

What are you going to build?

[ January 16, 2006, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: Tim Behle ]

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doggitter
Knows what it's all about
Member # 489

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2006 06:39 PM      Profile for Doggitter   Email Doggitter         Edit/Delete Post 
Before I got the .17 Rem. I was wanting a simple way to make a .17 out of what I had. Ruger All Weather .243 is a favorite rifle in the closet so building something on the .473 bolt got my interest. BR is too short to feed completely reliable when necked to .17 according to a couple guys I talked to. Want to keep as reasonable capacity as possible so that meant going with the smallest body dia. so I can have some length to feed well. Only one choice left. Shortened Swift. Where the sketches are now it looks to be mid to low 30's capacity, still bigger than I want. With the 26"/1 contour I think it'll do OK. I may have a .17 barrel for sale soon too. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 273 | From: Oregon rain forest | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doggitter
Member # 489

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2006 06:42 PM      Profile for Doggitter   Email Doggitter         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way Tim, I've got a new unfired old model All Weather(told you I liked them) in .338 Win. waiting to be bored to a .330 Dakota. A 7 Dakota would be a wiz banger too. [Eek!]
Doggitter
Member # 489

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2006 05:24 PM      Profile for Doggitter   Email Doggitter         Edit/Delete Post 
Jack and Tim, got your envelopes. Waiting on one more that should be in the mail. Loren.
rooster32
Member # 61

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2006 08:15 PM      Profile for rooster32   Email rooster32         Edit/Delete Post 
Loren,

Now we just need a group buy on some McMillan or HS stocks. Still trying to hunt down an action/rifle to use for this .17 Pred. project. Was hoping to get a stainless Rem action, but havent found a good .223 donor rifle yet.

Take care!

Posts: 26 | From: Sandy, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jack Roberts
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2006 10:37 PM      Profile for Jack Roberts   Email Jack Roberts         Edit/Delete Post 
A group buy on Nesika actions would be nice.

I really think they are as good as it gets.

Jack

Posts: 499 | From: Elko NV formerly MD | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2006 08:08 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I might have to get in on that action, myself!

As far as stainless actions, in general, I'm still evaluating. I have one Ruger and one Remington, and so far I don't see what the big deal is?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2006 05:57 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Jack,

Borden Rifles is coming out with two new Actions this Spring. The Alpine is built to drop into a 700 SA stock, and the Timberline is designed to drop into a 700 LA stock. Both are set to sell for $600

They should be about the same or a little cheaper than getting a Model 700 Accurised. Plus resale on a Custom Action is generaly better than a 700.

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
catskin
Member # 51

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2006 07:42 PM      Profile for catskin           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh if your building a predator, you NEED this action...

http://www.viperactions.com/whats_new_index.htm

Posts: 76 | From: Oregon | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jack Roberts
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2006 10:33 PM      Profile for Jack Roberts   Email Jack Roberts         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,
For the cheaper actions I don't think you can beat the Wichita. Not the prettiest but very good.

However the Nesika is a bit better as for accuracy and very pretty, not that I care about pretty.

Jack

Posts: 499 | From: Elko NV formerly MD | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2006 06:29 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Ken

I had looked at that one as well, but it just didn't stick in my mind as much as the Borden did.

It's a shame we all can't get a group buy on various actions. Then Jack could get his Nesika, and I could get my Timberline.

Will McMillan do quantity discounts? I sure do like the looks of that A-5. Maybe someone could talk Varmint Hunter out of his dreams of a Shehane ST 1000 and he could go in with us?

[ January 28, 2006, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: Tim Behle ]

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

rooster32
Member # 61

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2006 09:30 AM      Profile for rooster32   Email rooster32         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok..now you've got me looking at some of those "custom" actions. Would love to do a Nesika or BAT, but that would blow my budget out of the water.

Of the less expensive actions, any thoughts on which is the best. The barrel is a Lilja #4 contour which will be finished off at 24".

Jack,

Does Wichita have a website?

Ken,

The Pred. action could be cool for the .17 Pred.

Thanks!

[ January 28, 2006, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: rooster32 ]

Posts: 26 | From: Sandy, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
catskin
Member # 51

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2006 12:40 PM      Profile for catskin           Edit/Delete Post 
Really I've been intrigued by these Surgeon Tac actions - I think its the rail and intergal lug that turn my crank

SURGEON

Posts: 76 | From: Oregon | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doggitter
Member # 489

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2006 04:41 PM      Profile for Doggitter   Email Doggitter         Edit/Delete Post 
Incoming email to you Lilja barrel guys.
Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2006 04:14 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Ken,

Have you seen the new Short Actions that GA Precision is coming out with after the SHOT show?

http://www.snipershide.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=002919;p=1

Aren't you needing to build a new rifle? With these new actions starting at just under $700, they run about the same as getting a M700 blueprinted.

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters