The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » .17 mini 14 (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: .17 mini 14
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2007 08:40 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm with Rich. Can't get with the concept; assault rifle for coyotes. I guess it's hitech, but it seems aesthetically wrong, to me? Kinda jars my senses. Like slow dancing to Rap music. Not very romantic, for us older girly men, of which, Mr Cronk is a fellow charter member.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2007 10:38 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
They definately ain't for everyone, I remember a few years ago I was going hunting with a guy out in Lubbock, TX. I had to ask if he minded if I brung my AR-15 to hunt with, assuring him I wouldn't do any mag dumps and I was quite shocked that he also had started hunting with an AR. My how times have changed...

Kelly, I have seen an Eo-tech mounted on the side of a tube especially in the 3-gun
match crowd. I like to keep the weight down as much as possible so mounting both just doesn't appeal to me. I've owned 3 Eo-techs and 2 Aimpoints, while both are good for calling in certain circumstances, it's hard to beat a low powered variable scope like a 1.5-5 loopy for an all purpose coyote killer.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2007 12:09 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"I know the .17 is deadly out to 150"

I was just about to agree with this quote, then I realized that the two tick marks after the 150 were quotations rather than "inches". LOL

Alright, alright, I have a confession.

I killed a coyote with a .17 HMR while in Nebraska. Had no choice. All I could carry until the second day of the hunt because of their deer season. We first spotted him at about 400 yards and called him right in. I hit him dead center looking straight on, he reared, then ran a circle about 150 yards long before piling up. Q turned around, shook my hand and I said, "I just killed a coyote with a .17 and I'm not admitting it to anyone!!!". But now I must. Please forgive me, PAKmen.

-

This is him and me. See the dark spot. It was about a 70 yard shot and I told Q afterwards that considering the distance he ran post-impact, you'd never have recoverd this coyote where I call. He'd have made it into cover and there was no real blood trail.

Now, as a recovering Mini addict, you not only have to hold your tongue just right, you gotta be one with the rifle. Sure,... after that first shot, no two shots will hit in the same place. It's the nature of the beast. You just need to learn to shoot randomly, too, and shoot enough times at each coyote that the odds fall your way and one or two flyers lines of with the random impact points being generated by the gun.

[ January 03, 2007, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2007 12:54 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
thx Tom.......do you think at 30-40 yards your AR with the aimpoint is more effective (as fast to line up and deliver a kill shot on a moving target) than your shotgun with BB's - since thats the biggest shotsize they let us Okie's play with?

tooslow - not trying to hyjack your post, please forgive me..

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Outdoor Tripp
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2007 01:06 PM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you Rich and I'll go one step further and say I think lever guns look the best.

With any luck Hornady's new Leverevolution ammo is going to turn a couple into good predator rifles and cause the development of a few new ones as well.

[ January 03, 2007, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: The Outdoor Tripp ]

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com
"All great truths begin as blasphemies."

Posts: 805 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2007 01:12 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Kelly, at 30-40 yards I think any rifle is better than a shotgun without buckshot but I can't hit birds with an aimpoint, so shotgun = faster, aimpoint equipped AR = deadlier. I hate the no buckshot law, with buckshot I would tote my Benelli quite a bit.

Sorry for the hi-jack as well so... does anyone have any info on barrel length vs. velocity with the 17 Remington?

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2007 01:19 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Tripp, my first "varmint rifle" was and is a Winchester 9422MAG. the last real gun Winchester built. We had 4 or 5 of them in our family and they accounted for quite a few critters till we found out you "need" a centerfire. The lever gun is the original assault rifle.

[ January 03, 2007, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: TOM64 ]

tooslow
Member # 1063

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2007 03:08 PM      Profile for tooslow   Email tooslow         Edit/Delete Post 
Of all the pellet sizes available BB's are the most effective. 40 yard tipovers are the rule, rather than the exception. I reserve the right to hijack my own post.
Posts: 28 | From: Hesperia, Ca. | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2007 03:45 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
My personal opinion is that anything inside the fifty yard mark is in shotgun territory. Rifles are for the rest. I know you can kill a coyote and sometimes more with a rifle that close, but on multiples nothing is easier and faster than a shotgun. (For me at least). As for the old farts thinking that ARs aren't for coyote hunting, I had the same opinion until I started shooting one.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
tooslow
Member # 1063

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2007 04:01 PM      Profile for tooslow   Email tooslow         Edit/Delete Post 
Shotgun=min. hyde damage.

Over under shotgun rifle combo not a bad way to go either.

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2007 04:23 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Would you recommend copper plated BB's or what? I bought some #2 lead 3" loads, which were the biggest I could find and still got some runners past 40 yards. Maybe I need to do look into this again. I do have a pretty good idea what #4 buck will do. [Big Grin]

Cal, what's your setup in .204, barrel length, tube etc.

tooslow
Member # 1063

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2007 04:35 PM      Profile for tooslow   Email tooslow         Edit/Delete Post 
I use Winchester 3" copper plated BB's, they seem to hold a tighter pattern than any of the bucks, I seem to like .17, majic for me., you just have more hits that add up to more energy.
The Outdoor Tripp
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2007 05:42 PM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
Does Gerry Blair still carry 'ol Moosedick?

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2007 06:47 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"As for the old farts thinking that ARs aren't for coyote hunting, I had the same opinion until I started shooting one."
---------------------------------
I would LOVE to shoot one of those ugly things. Is there a bounty on em?

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2007 07:18 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a big fan of copper coated BB's or Hevi Shot Dead coyote. But the new super fast tungsten and alloy BB loads are way faster than traditional lead and we have been playing with some of them with spectacular results. No matter what you shoot, you really have to play with some different choke tubes to find what works best. I used to shoot some 4 buck but always had hell getting it to hold a decent pattern after about 30 yards. But if you get it into the coyote it does seem to kill them. Just remember that if you get a choke that will get you a good pattern at 50 yards it is going to be the size of a doorknob out to 20 or so.

My 204 is a 24 inch on a Bushmaster Lower. I would like a little lighter barrel than I have but the length is OK. I could go with a 20 or 22 and be happy though.

[ January 03, 2007, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: Cal Taylor ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2007 09:19 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Just for the record, a reminder. Hijacking a thread is not only allowed, but encouraged, on Huntmasters.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Outdoor Tripp
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2007 10:01 PM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
Hijacking? Hmm...

Hey, I think Osama Bin Laden's kinda cool. What do ya'll think?

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com

Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2007 06:50 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
Cal - do you carry both your AR and a shotgun on your stands?
Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2007 07:30 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Trip: yes Gerry still carries moosedick. the oridgnal has been retired and the one he carries now is a Rem SP 10 Ga.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Outdoor Tripp
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2007 01:52 PM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
Wish I had old Moosedick in my living room.

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2007 01:50 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"I'm a big fan of copper coated BB's or Hevi Shot Dead coyote. But the new super fast tungsten and alloy BB loads are way faster than traditional lead and we have been playing with some of them with spectacular results."
--------------------
BINGO!!!!! Cal has just confirmed what I have been thinking. Cal, you have been reading my mind! [Smile] Since the tungston alloy fodder is heavier than lead, this tells me that I can go down in shot size for more dense pattern. Since the tungston fodder is so hard, they use thicker wads to protect gun barrel and choke tubes, which in turn means less weight per load than they use in lead fodder. Less weight with heavier pellets tells me that there are less pellets in a load of tungston BB versus LEAD BB. The fact that Cal is getting spectacular results with tungston BB tells me that BB is probably beter than the T shot they usein Dead Coyote. I would like to try some tungston fodder in size #2 birdshot myself.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2007 06:44 AM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Kelly, I do carry two guns alot. Either the AR or a bolt gun, and the shotgun. My shotgun is a Bennelli M2 with a 22 inch barrel so it is fairly light. It kind of depends on terrain and what I think will respond. I have a system now that is OK. I carry my shotgun slung crossways on my back and my rifle slung over my right shoulder. Nothing bangs together much.

--------------------

coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2007 02:32 PM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
Cal who was the pilot of your mini episode? I have seen no negative results from using the "T" shot size for coyotes out to 50- 60 yrds. Your also going to have the T shot hit harder on the coyote versus the smaller BB's at extended range as well correct?

[ January 08, 2007, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: coyote whacker ]

--------------------
This is done on my time and my dime. My views may differ from those of others!

Posts: 376 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters