The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » 204 coyote loads (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 204 coyote loads
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2008 12:34 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
JeremyKS

In my opinion, there are times when a seventeen isn't fur friendly. As the man said, it's surgical precision that results in least damage.

If you have a facing shot, for instance, a seventeen with most common bullets can sever the spine and blow a huge hole through the shoulder blades. Especially if you, or he is in an elevated position.

I suppose any garden variety 17 caliber can be counted on to do the least damage most of the time, but nothing is foolproof.

Those Kindler 30 grain bullets sound like a hot ticket?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2008 01:04 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeremy,

I think what amazes me the most about the Kindlers,is running the numbers on a Ballistic calculator.

The 30 grain Kindlers(BC .270) at 3900 fps have almost the identical trajectory as a 220 Swift with the Nosler Ballistic tips(BC .267) at 3850 fps...Bullet drop is the same or less,wind drift is the same or less(10 mph)Velocity is the same or more,the Swift definitely beats it in the Energy Department so the further out the coyote is the more advantage the swift has.But for a 0- 400 yrd fur gun the .17 with the 30 grain Kindlers would be a tough one to beat....IMO

Even the Sectional Densities are fairly close..

220 Swift=.157

17 caliber=.145

Good Hunting Chad

[ December 30, 2008, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2008 01:35 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, interesting stuff. Now, the question is, is a 17 Remington enough gun, or is a "Predator" that much better. Sure, more is better, but I like to take a real close look at the advantage before I trouble with case forming, expensive dies, custom rig, etc. Sometimes, these exotic chamberings don't blow my skirt up, anymore, too much work. What seems to be the best twist, and is there a 33 gr. Kindler in the works, possibly?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2008 01:53 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the 30 Kindlers would do just fine in a .17 Remington "if" you have a 1/9 twist to stabilize them.My 17 Remington is a 1/10 twist so I am going to get a .17 Tactical barrel(necked down 20 Tactical)so if I feel so inclined I could get the 20 Tac and not be into to much expense.You would probably get 3800 fps out of the 17 Remington.I think DAA said the 17 Tactical is right in between the Remington and the Predator so probably 150 fps difference in the three of them.

17 Remington-3750-3800 fps
17 Tactical-3900-3950 fps
17 Predator-4000-4100 fps

I think I would be totally content with my .17 Remington and 25 grain Bergers if I knew "all" of my shots were between 0-200 yrds but for those that stop between 200-350 yrds it would be nice to have more smack.Ah hell who am I kidding I just want a new toy...lol

Good Hunting Chad

[ December 30, 2008, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2008 03:40 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
The 17 Rem with a 1-9" shooting 30 gr. Golds works just fine on coyotes out to 350 yds. maybe more .. I shot 3 coyotes this week with my factory rem. 700. it worked ..
I used the 25 gr. bullets years ago and they worked good on the coyotes, but the 30 gr. are a much better choice..You don't need tobe an expert marksman with a 17 cal. just put the bullet in the same place you would from a larger cal. [Big Grin] [Razz] [Razz]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5063 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
tlbradford
Rimfires are MAGIC on COYOTES! If you do your part
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2008 05:18 PM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
Patterson - No runners with the 45's, just quite a few spinners. Unless, I missed completely, those kept running. I was 1.5" high at 150 and back to zero at 300.

For flat out knock down, no twitching, no tail wagging, just near-instant death, the 32 vmax did the best job. I just had a bigger mess with coyotes over 200 yards, but those are rare shots in my calling areas.

--------------------
"Dan Carey ain't that special" - LB

Posts: 423 | From: Spokane Valley, WA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2008 05:37 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Now, the question is, is a 17 Remington enough gun...
Yes. [Smile]

quote:
...or is a "Predator" that much better.
Yes. [Smile]

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2009 07:54 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
In the 204 Ruger and a 20-222 I had, I've only used 35gr Bergers. In the 204 Ruger, I use mostly 28 grs of H4895 and have been playing with Benchmark, light loaded to around 3600 fps. I generally don't have to shoot very far anyways.

Andy,
I've never shot the 39gr bullets without the polymer tips but I have shot lot's of Sierra seconds in .224, shot the Blitzkings without the tips and they shot great at 100 yards. I've never killed any coyotes with them though. That is a huge freaking hollow point.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2009 09:08 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Gotta remember, that plastic tip is acting like a piston, it actually accelerates the big hollowpoint opening up.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters