The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Can we have a serious discussion about shotguns for coyotes? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  9  10  11 

Author Topic: Can we have a serious discussion about shotguns for coyotes?
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2011 09:41 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, Fred. No prob.
I'm not buying one until I try this .706" or whatever it is, the one that came with the gun.
I'm not shooting turkey heads, I think I need a little more spread than that.

What's a upper?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31463 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2011 03:18 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
LB, you could test it out on Fluffy the cat there? Stand off 40 yards and have at it.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2011 04:21 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, that's MEAN!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2011 08:17 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
And tacticool rails with KAC rail covers??? Forget the shotgun tell us about the uppers!
Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2011 08:33 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what you mean, Tom? What's tacticool?

But, anybody here using a holographic site on a shottie? Anybody TRIED it, and wasn't impressed?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2011 08:38 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
First a tacticool bolt knob and now this...
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2011 09:29 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, sure there is. You may be dipping a toe into coolness, but you're hardly a trendsetter. Granted, the one I use (influenced hugely by Cal's recommendation) isn't as impressive looking or bullet proof as your choice, but I'm happy with it. My Benelli has the rifle sights on it (not ghost ring) and I had an awful time getting low enough to get the rear sight aligned with the top of the front. Enter the Speed Bead, problem solved.
 -

Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2011 11:56 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
anybody here using a holographic site on a shottie?
Never used one on a shot-gun ( don't care to use a shotgun on Pred.s)but I have used one for years on a Browning Buck-mark handi rifle when hunting or calling coon and also when going in after a wounded coyote or fox.. Nice thing about them is your eye can be off a bit but as long as the dot is on the target its a hit
, they don't weigh much or take up much space..
What I did'nt like about mine was the type of batteries it used (hard to find at times) and remembering to turn on or turn off the switch. Would of been nice if they came with a pressure switch and a manual switch..
I got a new set up in works and just waiting for the UPS man to drop it off. :cool..

-

[ December 30, 2011, 12:13 AM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2011 06:12 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
 -
Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2011 08:31 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
Jim, Now thats a coyote killer there. I'm running the exact same setup on the ground, except in a camo model. I'm not convinced that a pump shotgun will do what I want as fast as I want. [Smile]

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2011 09:04 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
No, never thought I was a trendsetter in anything to do with shotties. But, it's something I recently developed a curiosity about, so what the hell? A while back, it took 4 rounds to kill an average size coyote with the 27 pellet #4Buck, shooting through brush. I figured there must be facets of this thing I have not examined? I also liked Cal's set up, remember when it was discussed, but it either slipped my mind or wasn't available fora Mossberg...maybe?

Anyway, I intend to give it a reasonably fair trial, although I am like TA, definitely oriented toward rifle. In fact, I remember talking to Cal at the World, one year and he said that he was hunting the dry washes and while he killed twice as many coyotes as we did, what we got and what we saw were all in washes, same thing. The possible difference, we didn't even have a shotgu....(excuse, I mean shottie) between the two of us.

I seem to recall that DAA has the same rig?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2011 09:27 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
While I like red dots, I tried one on my Benelli M2 Tactical and it just messed the whole feel of the gun up. Cal and Jim's setup would be nice.

My re dotted shottie has 30 pellets...
 -
It's wearing the Aimpoint Micro, 5 years on one battery without ever turning it off and it's light enough that I may try it on a real shotgun one day.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2011 10:27 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Tacticool, fur sure! Boy, you got all the toys on that rig!

I'll tell you one thing, Donna Marie is getting fed up with me calling him, FLUFFY!

I'm getting irritated using shottie, I think I'm done with that?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2011 11:22 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I setup a dotty shotty with a Speed Bead. Or is that a shotty dotty? Maybe the Speed Bead is the shotty dotty, but the shotty with the dotty is a dotty shotty?

Or do I have that all completely wrong? Is it shotty or shottie? Hey, reminds me of one of my favorite rap songs "...makes me wanna grab my nine and my shotty, but I gotta go identify the body...".

Anyway... That was a couple years ago I think. Never got around to using it, kinda forgot about it.

Still have a screwed up mindset from back when I could shoot pretty good, and used to make fun of people that had to use shotguns to hit something just because it was moving fast.

Now, I can't shoot all that great anymore and I bet I can't hit my ass with both hands using that shotgun. So I don't make fun of people anymore. Unless they say "shotty". Unless it's Fred, with his accent, anything he says sounds cool [Big Grin] .

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2011 02:01 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are making this WAY to complicated. Replace the front bead with one of those bright fiber optic sights. Put your cheek on the stock. Put the front sight on the coyote's nose. Yank the trigger when you have a clear shot under 40 yards. Goofy end zone dance is optional.
Simple is good............therefore, very simple is very good. [Cool]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7581 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2011 03:12 PM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
I am with Koko and you can throw away the fibre optic front bead. Actually my eyes are focused on the target and the rib is just a blur when I shoot a shotgun. There could be 50 beads on the rib and I wouldnt see a one. And both eyes open.

Edited to add.....I have seen some of those pros on television using sticks or bipods with their shotguns....Give me a break.

[ December 30, 2011, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: R.Shaw ]

Posts: 545 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2011 09:35 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
LB, We killed several with shotguns at that hunt. And have learned to rely on them heavily at contests, although if I remember right we lost 2 that were hit with a shotgun that year, and one where my partner forgot to put a shell in his shotgun. We had 2 coming and I was on the rear one with a rifle, waiting for Cennys shotgun to go off killing the lead one. I heard a loud click followed by a major amount of cussing, so I killed the one I was on and couldn't get on the other before it disappeared into the brush. Giving credit where credit is due, Les Johnson taught Cenny and I about the effectiveness of shotguns in contests. This was back in the old days before we were all rich and famous. The first hunts we competed in we never dreamt of packing a shotgun. But after a schooling on quitting trying stopping multiples for a rifle shot and actually trying to get them to run over the guy with the shotgun and killing doubles and triples regularly because of it, we were convinced. Now, I wouldn't be caught without a shotgun and set up stands accordingly. But my personal opinion is that this works best with an auto loader and an extended mag tube. It might require several shells in rapid succession to kill 2 or 3 coyotes. Cenny Burnell can make a Benneli sound like a full auto and hit while he is doing it. He is a total phenom with a shotgun.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2011 01:25 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's good stuff, Cal. Food for thought. Kinda makes my favorite shotti....(oops) shotgun not the best choice, is it? Well, we shall see?

Good huting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2011 10:15 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm not convinced that a pump shotgun will do what I want as fast as I want.
Ain't that the truth? My first shotgun was an Ithica model 37 and man, that thing was fast and slick. But having to work the slide while trying to track a target wore on me. It can be done, no doubt. This one is so slick and SO fast, it's really hard to outrun. They still do it on occaision though. [Smile]
Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2012 10:58 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it looks like I need one of them high dollar chokes? I tried 3" #4Buck and 3½" Dead Coyote. Not impressed with either. But, it reminded me that Dead Coyote knocks your fillings loose. Seemed like?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2012 11:07 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
open the choke up a wee bit or try a 2 3/4 00-buck..

--------------------

Joel Hughes
SPECIAL GUEST
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2012 08:55 AM      Profile for Joel Hughes           Edit/Delete Post 
THERE'S that advice you've been waiting for Leonard! LOL

FWIW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 145 | From: texas | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2012 09:14 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hilarious!

I will probably get over to Bass Proshops today, (maybe) and see what they have on the shelf. I have class action rebate thing I need to redeem anyway.

Good hunting. LB

edit: PS, I have serious doubt that either of these tested loads would kill a coyote at 40 yards w/ this .706" choke?

previous choke had a pattern of 16X30"

this choke is about 14X24" for the buckshot and more like 15X15 on the dead coyote....which doesn't seem too bad, now that I look at it again? That's discounting a few strays.

[ January 10, 2012, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2012 01:28 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Those tight patterns look pretty impressive on paper, wonder how they would look if a 1/4" sheet of plywood was used instead??????
A long wadd of shot sure does funny things when comeing out the end of the barrel...
I wonder if all the shot penatrates its target and reaches it at the same time????? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2012 02:04 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
A little to vague, Tim?

We all know that a shotgun doesn't throw a flat pattern, as a newborn might think, looking at a patterning piece of cardboard, which is what I used and none bounced off, near as I could tell?

Do you think a shot column "whips" a coyote, the front arrives on the nose and as the end of the charge finally arrives, throughly plasters the coyote's rear end? Are you saying 1300fps is that slow? That if the target is moving, the pattern is dispersed a lot more laterally than vertical?

It would seem to me to be of small consequence, @40 yards, a couple nanoseconds. If you would take a ultra high speed video, the difference between frame #1 and frame #10 would be undetectable.

But, maybe I'm not understanding you?

PS I am a good boy! Cleaned the 835, first time in a couple seasons, for sure. Needed it! I had a Dead coyote fail to eject, for motivation.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  9  10  11 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters