The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » .22-.243 Middlestead? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: .22-.243 Middlestead?
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2011 01:20 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard have you been drinking or have I?

If the above post was to me, my velocities are over a chronograph, my 22-250 is a plain vanilla 22-250 and yes a longer barrel would be in store if a new tube is screwed on.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2011 01:33 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I don't drink, but I stand corrected, it was Jim that said he uses a formula to estimate his velocity.

Oh, I may have a margarita with my combo plate, but I'm not much of a drinker.

GH/LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31467 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2011 01:36 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Good, I was worried about myself.
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2011 01:41 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
I always like H-414 too, same load as a matter of fact, 44 grains, although I settled on the Nosler 50 bt for my rifle. Admittedly, I had cut that particular barrel down to 20 inches, so with 55 grain bullets, I couldn't wring 4K out of the shorter tube, but the 50's had me right there.
Way to much gun for what I do now, and my hunting style, but at least I got to play with one....it's a lotta gun, thats for sure.

Posts: 1629 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
sparkyibewlocal440
Member # 397

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2011 01:52 PM      Profile for sparkyibewlocal440   Email sparkyibewlocal440         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Tom, If I was sneaking around fields/pastures,etc., trying to put the "drop" on unsuspecting Coyotes, where I could range it, adjust the elevation and go. Brother, I'd be all over that. That stuff takes time, time is a luxury when bringing them in to the call.

Leonard, looking forward to see what we come up with, for powder here. Hopefully, not something that's temperature sensitive? Like ball powders?

Certainly in the Fall and sometimes in Winter, it can be below freezing and hit 80+ degrees all in one day.

Posts: 170 | From: So. Cal | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2011 02:26 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
Huh? I don't use 50gr bullets on coyotes. And I haven't mentioned anything about my 250AI because I don't have it wrung out yet. Every time I think about going to shoot it the damn wind is blowing. It's a 26", 8 twist.

I believe that was Tom you were addressing.

Edit:

Note to self...always go to the end before typing a reply. [Smile]

Second edit:

I don't always estimate velocity, just mostly for my short barreled AR cuz of its range limitations.

[ April 27, 2011, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: jimanaz ]

Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2011 02:30 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'm going to stop using names.

GH/LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2011 04:20 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, me and cuzz started out 55 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips in our 22-250's several years ago. One of us tried the 50's and up until this year we both liked them better, killing wise and accuracy wise, out of several guns. I tried the 40 and even the new 60's but always came back to the 50's.

Cuzz even tried 50 and 55 V-max's and Sierras Blitz kings of both weights. It ain't like the 55's have escaped me all this time.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2011 07:24 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
What a relief!

edit: But I cannot agree that 50 grain bullets are the best choice for coyotes.

[ April 27, 2011, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2011 07:52 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But I cannot agree that 50 grain bullets are the best choice for coyotes.

They do make a great second choice..

I have used the Calhoon 42 gr. and 52 gr. double H.P.'s and they work well enough in cartridges that run a little short in vel. like the 221 f.b. does and would be a better choice for a 223 calling rifle..

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5070 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2011 09:30 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, well. The 62 Bergers I have are MEF, just because.

All I know is there must be a lot of cripples dying in the bushes, in Oklahoma?

GH/LB

(just kidding, just kidding)

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2011 05:09 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to add to the controversy and agree with Tom. I have been playing with lots of turrets the last couple years and I like em! I have the Leica binos with range finder in them and it is pretty quick and painless to dial it and kill it. I do get the turrets custom for the gun and load I'm shooting so I'm not counting clicks. I just dial the yardage and fire.

Sorry Leonard. I know we rarely disagree.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2011 06:21 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Fred, to take your argument to a ridiculous length, fill the case with a double base powder and a heavy bullet, if "pressure" alone is what produces velocity. I'm not even sure what your point is, but finding the correct powder, based on burn rate is what we try to do.
Yep. Just sayin' that you can't gain velocity without also increasing case pressure. No free lunch available...

Jimzy, take that 1:8 AI out and shoot it in the wind!!!

Check these #s out from Exbal

.224 bullet ballistic comparison
200yd zero, 1.5" scope height

62gr Berger MEF @ 3950fps
dist______drop_____wind
300-------1.50-----2.75
400-------3.25-----4.00
500-------5.75-----5.25
600-------8.75-----7.00

52gr Nosler Btip @ 4200fps
dist______drop______wind
300-------1.25------2.75
400-------3.00------3.75
500-------5.00------5.00
600-------7.75------6.50

75gr Amax @ 3650fps
dist______drop______wind
300-------1.25------1.50
400-------3.00------2.25
500-------5.00------3.00
600-------7.00------3.50

interesting?
EDIT: values are in MOA

[ April 28, 2011, 07:27 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2011 07:17 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
Jim - looks like you "jest" need to make sure that coyote is standing broadside at 600.

My guess is an ant-lope would be safe....lol

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2011 09:04 AM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
You're killing me KJ. Thanks for the reminder.

You're right Fred, it's hard not to get inspired by looking at those numbers. Forecast for tomorrow is for wind from 13 to 35 MPH. Guess it'll gimme a chance to mess with that ballistics calculator app I put on my phone, lol. The wheels are in motion.

Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2011 09:49 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
There are lies, damned lies, and statistics. That's all I have to say.

GH/LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2011 10:07 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
It's an okie conspiracy...
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2011 11:32 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Forgiven, Cal.

I understand your situation, I have been to WY in the past. But, for what I do, target turrets seem to snag on stuff and I don't have time to fuck with them anyway. I guess it's a personal preference thing, but on a calling rifle, I don't like them big knobs and wouldn't use them anyway.

I will just take my chances with a little bit of guestimate based on experience and familiarity with what's in my hands, at the time. Modesty prevents me from elaborating as to how effective it has been.

GH/LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2011 09:34 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I know you guys are dying for an update.

Yesterday, correction, Wednesday, I finished depriming and sizing about 250 Middlested cases.

Then, my Alzheimer's faded for a brief period and I remembered that Dan wanted a "fired case".

I had about twenty rounds loaded that came with it so I drove up the hill for the sole purpose of firing one shot down in the canyon. By 2 o'clock I had the Wilson die and the fired case packaged and mailed off. He did mention that he had stuff to do in May, hopefully, that is late May and he can get this seater back to me before the freeze.

Now, a trip to U.S. Optics is in order, I removed the existing B&L 3200 which is suitable for squirrels. When I get that taken care of, if I don't see that Middlested seater soon, I may switch barrels? I'm good to go for 22-250AI.

GH/LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2011 10:24 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
US Optics? Now you're toying with us, they don't even make a scope without turrets do they?
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2011 11:50 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, but it has everything else? I'm not thrilled with the honeycomb stuff up front, and we got an eleven position lighted reticle. I have to admit, that BIG thingy on top is a SERIOUS turret. But you have to twist the objective to dial in parallax. Yes, you got me. It has many bells and whistles to play with. But, they don't stick out that much, like a sore thumb.

Where's Waldo?

GH/LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kelly Jackson
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2011 02:39 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
I took out the 243WSSM yesterday evening. Now I got a machine gun spittin out 55gr NBT just over 4000. More testing to do. Gotta be ready. Plus I kinda like jackin with stuff.

Now how in the heck is the BC of a 243 55gr NBT better than a 224 55gr NBT?
Just eyeballin, they are close to the same OAL, the 243 may have just a hair longer boatail.

Tom - what you going to shoot next month at the Okie get together?

Stay after them
Kelly

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2011 02:51 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You are correct, insofar as it seems to be illogical? 4,000 is quite a big number. Wow! Must be the cool mountain air? This is out of a machine gun, right? You remind me of Dan, (the man) money is noooo object.

What happened? Did my invite get lost in the mail, or what?

GH/LB

edit: rereading, it IS a machine gun. How about that?

[ April 29, 2011, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kelly Jackson
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2011 03:13 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
All ya are welcome. We eat, BS awhile and then kill paper eggs at 100, 200 and 300 yards.

Yesterday was great here. 75 no wind. Today 80 something and 40 plus wind.

Dan built this upper, wasn't that much.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2011 03:23 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, I know what not that much means to you Big Oil Men.

Well, my rings are on backorder! Two weeks! The troops come first. I understand that.

GH/LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters