The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » 22/243 Middlested loads HEY LOOK! (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: 22/243 Middlested loads HEY LOOK!
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted October 07, 2011 05:27 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished my 4 mile run and all I can gain out of this is I'm glad I didn't pick up either one of those but round my house growing up it was Marlboro or non filtered Camels, never heard of Chesterfield. I preferred Copenhagen.

Ya I know a 308... but it sure shoots good and really flattens paper and steel!

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 07, 2011 08:34 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
We used to joke about the old C rations we would get once in a while. They always contained a pack of cigarettes and some of them were at least from the korean war, containing such brands as "Wings" Winstons, and even the GREEN Lucky Strikes. Chesterfield was a moderately popular brand in the fifties. Ever hear of Parliament? They were oval, to fit your mouth better, and came in a box, before there ever was a Marlboro. How about Regency? Oh man I must be getting old?

gh....lb
edit: common in formations: "At Ease; Smoke if you got 'em"

[ October 07, 2011, 08:37 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted October 07, 2011 08:42 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Now it's "if you're smoking, you better be on fire". Nasty things no matter the brand.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 07, 2011 09:08 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
But, in those days, we were immortal. Common among young men, even now.

gh....lb

edit: we used to say; Young and dumb, and full of (blank)

[ October 07, 2011, 09:10 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted October 07, 2011 10:12 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I musta hung out with the wrong crowd. Or maybe I was the wrong crowd? I've heard of all those brands and smoked most of them. Chesterfields came with little stamps, kind of like Green stamps, that you could save up and turn in for stuff.

One of my best friends in grade school, his parents owned two bars. Their whole basement was filled with cases of smokes. We used to steal them most regularly. But being in like, 5th grade, we hadn't established a brand preference yet, so we tried 'em all!

Later on, in jr. high, we settled on Marlboro though. I didn't have to start buying them until I was about 15...

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 07, 2011 10:49 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember coupons on Chesterfields, I can't remember smoking any? Maybe I bummed one or two, but I missed out on the goodies.

But, Raleigh was a brand that had coupons, both my parents smoked them and they saved the coupons for "stuff". You got one on the back glued to each pack, and four extras inside each carton. Whereas, most people have some sort of junk drawer somewhere in the kitchen, we had a Raleigh coupon drawer. It don't get more RETRO than that. And, it only took about a million of them to get a free flyswatter.

gh....lb

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

albert
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2012 07:27 PM      Profile for albert   Email albert         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I am pretty late with this posting but a buddy of mine is a big Middlestead fan. He uses the reloader line of powders and I believe it's 19 that he is using how much I'm not sure. He is getting 4150 with 55 grain noslers BT. He can get 4300 but he doesn't like the brass life at that level of performance. Uses lapua brass.

He lives in really open country and "likes not having to hold off of hair"

--------------------
for what it's worth, eh!

Posts: 195 | From: Parkland, saskatchewan, canada | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2012 10:43 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
And, have I had dinner with this gentleman?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

albert
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2012 06:32 PM      Profile for albert   Email albert         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Leonard

No you have not. This fellow lives in SW Saskatchewan about 4 hrs from Saskatoon. He has told me that his favorite cartridge for coyotes is the 240 wby.

He quite using this cartridge because when the fur prices dropped he no longer cared for sewing that much.

The fellow you had supper with pretty much sticks to the tried and true 22-250.

--------------------
for what it's worth, eh!

Posts: 195 | From: Parkland, saskatchewan, canada | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2012 02:14 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
While a trip to the range for the purpose of patterning a shottie.......bwahhahahahah (we love ya, Fred!)

I set up and fired 5 shots at 250 yards in a 20/30 mph headwind. The group was 2". I am sure I can do better without the wind blowing down the canyon.

But the satisfying part was that the 100and 250 yard zero was the same. No detectable drop or if I squinted a bit, maybe a quarter inch?

So, realistically. This scope is 1.8 to 10X. I never expected this to be anything more than a 300 yard daylight coyote killer and I think it is shaping up that way.

Bring 'em on! I am waiting by the phone!

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2012 07:45 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I just loaded 50 rounds of 55gr NBT's in Lapua brass for a bolt gun, a heavy one at that. What the hell is wrong with me?

They smoked along at an average of 3211 fps and grouped under MOA at 200 yards.

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters