The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » If you could have only one coyote rifle.. (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: If you could have only one coyote rifle..
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted August 03, 2008 06:37 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Right now, I do only have one (functional) rifle, my .308 carbine, and, while it made the last coyote really dead, it's not a great fur harvester...

But, I just got off the phone with my 'smith. [Wink]

I'm having a designated coyote rifle built. (whooo hooo!) [Big Grin]

It'll be a Mauser '98, carbine, in .243 AI.
I've got a Lilja med-heavy bbl (which will be cut down to 16"), and a bantam stock, coming, while the action is being blueprinted, and the bolt "worked"... it should have a very stubby OAL of about 33".

Sort of a way overboard, over-bored, Coyote Gods rifle? [Wink]

Krusty  -

[ August 03, 2008, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: Krustyklimber ]

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2008 06:31 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
Vic is right, I have lost my mind! [Big Grin] 500 and 600 yard coyotes are not the norm here by any means. But I do shoot quite a few at 300 to 400 in the summertime around dens. Generally the first coyote is close and sometimes both are with the dogs, but fairly regularly out of two or three old ones on a den, you shoot one or two and the second or third leaves, then comes back in a little while to check things out and since it knows what happened there a little while ago they will hang up out there at a few hundred. It is really a necessity for me to be able to kill those coyotes. Also sometimes I get into situations of having a highly educated coyote that I really need dead and I may only get one chance at him and it may be 3 or 4 hundred. I pack my rangefinder at all times and usually a rifle that is up to the task. I know my situation and country are different than most.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2008 07:37 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I can see your point 3 Toes.You have a job to do.And you need problem coyotes dead.If I were in that situation I would go for a larger caliber with a higher B.C bullet too. For me as just a Rec. caller and Part time fur harvester,I can limit small caliber shots to the 300 yard range,and if I have one hang up out at 400-500 yards,I can try calling from a different direction,or try a different day.If I don't get him no big deal,there are plenty more out there that will come to the call.Like Scott(Wiley E) said a while back "it is alot harder to call THE coyote than A coyote".Very true indeed.
Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2008 07:53 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
UT is right Cal, and I trust you took no offense at my post. You have a job to do, and I often forget that most of us are doing this for the sheer fun and enjoyment of it.
I'll very rarely take a swag at a 300 yard coyote, any further than that, like UT, I'll hopefully catch it another day or from another stand. It's pure pleasure for me when Im out coyote hunting,and like you made the point of mentioning, I don't have to kill it, and you do.
I can't wait to sit around the camp this year, and tell some lies with you around the fire pit, was pleased to hear your going to make it down.

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
coyote whacker
Knows what it's all about
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2008 03:06 PM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
For what it is worth Wiley aka Scott H is shooting a .243 as well! He bought his and then I bought mine and the results are great! before that we both shot our issued 22-250's and for the most part they did the job well, but I have found the 6mm to do it better and deader, not to mention when needed for longer kills the confidance in that 80 grain bullet. The only draw back is a bit more recoil.

Not to mention the load I have is fur friendly although that is not my concern, it work out to be very fur friendly even on those thin summer coyotes.

After talking with another co worker who shoots alot, the next gun may be a 6mm Norma BR as you can obtain decent velocity,great accuracy, longer barrel life and reload around 250 rounds off of 1 LB of powder! Will be awhile before the wife allows another gun in the home though LOL!

Also my 25-06 is another better and deader gun, the problem is even more recoil and seeing even less through the scope, I still use it on occasion but makes a dandy goat/deer gun. If I didn't shoot my 4x4 WT last year at 466 yards then he would have been gone due to lack of cover to get closer.

[ August 04, 2008, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: coyote whacker ]

--------------------
This is done on my time and my dime. My views may differ from those of others!

Posts: 376 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2008 04:04 PM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Onecoyote rifle? I can't go wrong....A 225 Win? Emm maybe a 224 WM? How about a 19 Zipper? Awww the heck with it, I'll just pick a side by side 22-250/220swift. [Wink]

[ August 04, 2008, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: onecoyote ]

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2008 08:13 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
There ya go wacker, you found "the one" for you I guess. Thats the beauty of having so many calibers and rifle manufacturers out there, a flavor for everyone.
It's all about what suits a guy for his purpose and style of hunting. If I toted a .243 out to a stand, Id feel like I had a cannon in my hands, just way to much gun for what I do,and how I do it.
A 500 yard shot on a coyote is just outside the realm of the way I hunt/call them. Ive shot exactly one at close to that range(464) with my .17 rem,and I can't brag, it was a lot of guess-timate, which in turn means blind assed luck, but I did in fact kill it. Certainly didn't tip it over, I liver shot it. A liver shot coyote from whatever you hit it with always does a short death sprint,but at that range, with so little poop left, it of course went 30 or 40 yards before falling down.
If you need to shoot coyotes out past "Fort Mudge", then Im in full agreement, a .17 anything isn't the rifle to be carrying. Conversely, if your calling coyotes on my kind of stands, and in my backyard, you sure don't need a .243 or .25-06 or any other kind of shoulder cannon, so the .17s and .19s and hornets work extremely well.

[ August 04, 2008, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: Az-Hunter ]

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2008 02:59 PM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
As I posted I don't see why people who hunt open windy country would use such small caliber rifles?

Use what your terrain dictaits! End of the line for me on this thread good day and good hunting off to Iowa and the NTA!

--------------------
This is done on my time and my dime. My views may differ from those of others!

Posts: 376 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
SURESHOT
PAKMAN
Member # 1122

Icon 1 posted August 06, 2008 10:31 PM      Profile for SURESHOT   Email SURESHOT         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite today is my 6.8 cartridge necked down to 22. 50 grain nosler , 31 grains powder =4,ooofps.
Posts: 7 | From: ARIZONA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2008 06:51 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Sureshot, what rifle is that wildcat chambered in?
IP: Logged
SURESHOT
PAKMAN
Member # 1122

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2008 12:27 PM      Profile for SURESHOT   Email SURESHOT         Edit/Delete Post 
rich its chambered on a ar15 upper 20inch barrel and it is a tack driver. about the same recoil as my 204 upper.
Posts: 7 | From: ARIZONA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2008 01:15 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the New Huntmastersbbs.com, sureshot. Glad to have you on board. You have been around a long time before posting.

I think Higgins wants to know the original cartridge used in the wildcat you are describing, not what sort of gun you have it chambered for?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2008 10:35 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
6.8 necked down to 22 - I knew it was only a matter of time before somebody had an upper made.

Who did yours?

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2008 11:43 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure you can get the 6.8 SPC in a factory Rem 700. I've been thinking of another wildcat off that cartridge myself, but am trying to stay away from wildcats for now.

I'm going to assume you meant "One cartridge" since that appears to be the way this thread is running.

I have used 6mm's down to the 17 M4. I tend to always come back to the 17 Rem. as my favorite for what I do.

Every once in a while I'll call in a fox or bobcat, so the 17 generally works well all around for me.

If you meant "One Rifle" I'd probably go with a Rem 700.

[ August 10, 2008, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: DanS ]

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2008 11:57 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting observation. The question is a little vague, but I see it as a package, hard to "have only one coyote rifle" without it being chambered in something or other?

So, that's easy, Dan banks on a Remington 700 in 17 Rem.

Hard to beat a Model 700. It doesn't cover enough possibilities chambered in 17, for my application?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

RedRabbit
Member # 796

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2008 01:23 AM      Profile for RedRabbit   Email RedRabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
The .17 Rem and other small callibers still speak for them selves just look at this board and Geez! lets not mention why the hell are they still making them and touting them as coyote rifles. I chose this rifle because of its flat trajectory and the rifle I bought lended itself to accurizing quite well and it certainly lives up to that lightning fast kills that you can see through the scope.

Wind drift? 100 yrds it stays plenty stable for "calling" even with a stiff wind I wouldnt hesitate even at 300 for that matter, but for real long range work thats a different case no matter what your shooting, but who has time to consult a balistic table anyway when the momment is at hand, sure maybe you do, but who the wants to especially when the coyotes the same color as the sagebrush and the snow you can lose them at that distance as soon as you take your eyes off them.

Shit Hell! Ill take a long risky poke if the conditions are right, since I take running shots anyway at 100 yarders.

.17 Rem is all I have for a predator rifle right now and I dont feel handicapped one bit, so get that .204 you'll be in like Flynn and proud like the rest of us small calliber predator hunters.

P.S. use the heavier bullets, since they dont construct light bullets very well. Take it from me I have experienced this and its not pretty.

edited; for spelling

[ October 15, 2008, 01:53 AM: Message edited by: RedRabbit ]

Posts: 241 | From: SE IDAHO | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
6mm284
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2008 03:49 AM      Profile for 6mm284           Edit/Delete Post 
Put my new 204 on a coyote at 90 yds and watched the bullet splash on his shoulder right before he ran off seemingly untouched.. 39 gr blitzkings.. back to my6 284.
Posts: 198 | From: N46 06 E91 11 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2008 05:11 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"Put my new 204 on a coyote at 90 yds and watched the bullet splash on his shoulder right before he ran off seemingly untouched.. 39 gr blitzkings.. back to my6 284."
-----------------------------
I have spoken many times on the use of varmint bullets for coyotes. I don't know why I keep beating my head against the wall like this, but why in the hell do people keep using those Blitz Kings, SX, and other prairie dog bullets on coyotes? Surface splash with those bullets is gonna happen when you shoot em out of the needle guns. I have even seen it happen with the .223 Remington when shooting 50-52 grain varmint bullets. Most of the time it is poor bullet choice and a poor hit that causes lost coyotes. Choosing a strongly constructed bullet can make a very big difference. Full metal jackets are bad news also. Choose a bullet that is designed for the job, and you will be a much happier coyote hunter.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2008 03:12 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Good advice Rich.

Varmint bullet's are just that,Coyote's aren't varmint's.

You see thread's across the internet what's the best coyote bullet..V-Max or Blitzking. Nobody want's to talk hollow point's or soft point's.

Sorry if i'm bitter [Razz]

JMO.

[ October 23, 2008, 07:24 AM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mert Bargenquast
Member # 772

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2008 06:10 AM      Profile for Mert Bargenquast           Edit/Delete Post 
I have used about all of the smaller calibers and I think if I had to chose one it would be a 22-250 AI. I like a little bit heavier than a standard weight factory barrel with a 2 pound trigger pull. I might add that the Sierra 55gr. SBT bullets work really good on coyotes.

--------------------
Mert Bargenquast

Posts: 40 | From: Iowa | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2008 09:39 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"I have used about all of the smaller calibers and I think if I had to chose one it would be a 22-250 AI. I like a little bit heavier than a standard weight factory barrel with a 2 pound trigger pull. I might add that the Sierra 55gr. SBT bullets work really good on coyotes."
------------------------------------------
Mert is correct. What you want is Sierra's "Gameking" bullet, not the "varminter".
.224 dia. 55 gr. SBT GameKing 1365

[ October 24, 2008, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: Rich ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2008 10:52 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit, he sounds like he knows what he is talking about? For all around performance on coyotes, it is very hard to beat a 22-250Ackley....especially with the heavier bullets.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

6mm284
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted October 25, 2008 05:43 AM      Profile for 6mm284           Edit/Delete Post 
Rich, I was not surprised by the bk performance on that coyotes shoulder,well aware of that possibilty,, however it was the only bullet I had available to me on that trip.But not the only rifle.I should have slid back a little on the body and he would have went down.Was just trying something different. I have dropped then dead in their tracks at 200 yds running with the same bullet. .Sometimes you have to shoot what you got and not your first choice.Don't bother to beat you head against the wall on my account,I am well aware of what I do in this game . Besides you might ruin that great head of hair you have, wish I had some of it.Hope to see you again sometime.

[ October 25, 2008, 05:45 AM: Message edited by: 6mm284 ]

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted October 25, 2008 01:35 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
6mm284,
I know what you mean, and I do the same thing quite often. Since I don't skin em anymore, dead is good enough for me. I have some 85 grain Combined technologies "ballistic silver tips" loaded up for my .257 Ackley that zip along at over 3600 fps, and they likely won't be fur friendly. I also have a couple of boxes of 55 grainers for my .243 that are gonna splash now and then. I am guilty of doing those things even though I know it won't set a good example for the squeamish crowd. "Hell with them coyotes, the buzzards gotta eat, same as worms". [Wink]

--------------------

6mm284
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted October 26, 2008 04:38 AM      Profile for 6mm284           Edit/Delete Post 
Rich When I travel to call with my hunting partner , we are not able to keep the coyotes as he is a WS employee and that is forbidden.Have a WS aquaintance in CA that shoots some varmint grenades out of a 243.They have to use them in the condor range as lead bullets are banned. He says the grenades are hard on coyotes and I would think could splash.. The attractive thing about them he says is that they are an extremely accurate bullet.. some of the best he has ever used.And since he has alot of time and interest in working up his loads he may be right.. I was in CA a couple of months ago and was going to pass some time calling not realizing the lead ban had been passed for all hunting in the condor range.. Apparently some anti fed a condor a lead bullet and blamed it on lead in carion.So I am going to have to spend some time building a non lead load. Your 257 ackley would have to be in the tops for my choices of long range coyote getters.What an efficient round.

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters