The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » .22-.243 Middlestead? (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: .22-.243 Middlestead?
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 03, 2011 11:02 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You will never regret it.

GH/LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31474 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 03, 2011 12:16 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah you are probably the main reason I keep coming back to that Cartridge. I've thought about alot of different ones too. .243 win,.243 AI,6mm Remington,.220 Swift,.22-243 Middlestead, and the Plain Ol' .22-250 again.

Keep coming back to the .22-250 AI.For my type of calling seems like the best choice. I am very interested in the 64 grain Bergers as a go to bullet too.If I could get 3600-3700 fps I would be very happy.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1626 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 03, 2011 01:19 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Chad, if you have ever owned a swift or even a 270Winchester, you would appreciate never having to trim necks in an Ackley. And, in my experience, the brass lasts forever.

So, if you don't get 4 grand, it will still outperform a 220Swift, which is practically the Gold Standard for 22 caliber. And, my swift cases were good for about four reloads. My Ackleys, I'm careful and I get ten. And, performance makes a swift look like a 223 in comparison.

This is why there is so much to gain, by using a heavier bullet. Most people punch a standard 22-250 and stick with the 55 grain bullets but with the slight gain in case capacity, it gives you enough horsepower to drive a heavier bullet just as fast as the 55's in the factory case. The other error is they tend to use an incorrect powder. For my money, H414 is a perfect powder for that case capacity, all things being equal. Some caution about temperature sensitivity, but I never had a problem. All canister powders have degraded performance at low ambient temperatures, and I work up my load in warm weather, so that has never caused me a problem, either. Of course, it makes sense to not leave them out in the sun.

I can't make promises, but there is a lot of potential, if you're smart. And, I think you are.

GH/LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 03, 2011 01:31 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Leonard. Your advice is very much appreciated.I will probably be picking your brain a little in the near future.

Then when I get her up and shooting well you'll have to show me what it can really do by taking me out to West and show me how to kill those Nevada Coyotes at night. [Wink]

Good Hunting Chad

[ May 03, 2011, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 03, 2011 02:01 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I can probably do that. If you wait for a new moon.

GH/LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 03, 2011 02:45 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Deal....

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters