The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Can we have a serious discussion about shotguns for coyotes? (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Author Topic: Can we have a serious discussion about shotguns for coyotes?
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2012 12:52 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tim, you ninny, the stuff in that picture aint thick. Good gawd man you can see for 10 miles,
Yep your right you can see a long ways from up on top. Get down in it and tell me how far you can see..

About a half hour before the pic was taken there was a coyote down in that stuff. If I liked to use a shotgun on my stands I proably would of gone down in there and called it in and shot it with the shot gun.. But since I don't I just called it out into the open instead and potted it with the rifle... [Smile]

Here is some thicker stuff;;
 -
 -

Anytime you have to go into the thick stuff then you are playing according to the coyotes terms and in alot of instances the coyote comes out on top.. I don't play that way and always try to make my stands so I have the upper hand..

[ January 15, 2012, 01:06 AM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5091 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2012 02:03 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,
I ordered a Burris "speed bead" this morning. You have to purchase one of these that is made specifically for you shotgun make and model. I know that 3 Toes thinks highly of the speed bead, and I think maybe the low profile of this particular mounting method will still allow me to use my regular shotgun case.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2012 04:26 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
These patterns were shot some time ago, so you may have seen the photos before. Shotgun was Beretta Extrema2, choke was Kicks .680 Gobbling Thunder, and ammo was 3" Hevi shot "dead coyote" T,s.
 -

-

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2012 04:33 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That 50 yard plate looks a lot like my 40 yard target with the 3½" Dead Coyote. Well, I am anxious to see what I wind up with using the BLACK DIAMOND CHOKE. It better be worth $90 Bucks.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31499 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2012 05:40 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"That 50 yard plate looks a lot like my 40 yard target with the 3½" Dead Coyote. Well, I am anxious to see what I wind up with using the BLACK DIAMOND CHOKE. It better be worth $90 Bucks."
------------------------------------------
I am anxiously awaiting to see the results the new Black Diamond produces also. Shotguns are sorta like people. They all prefer something a bit different. I have kicked myself in the arse for trading off a Remington model 870 "Magnum" several years ago. That thing shot nice dense patterns that hit where I was looking. Another shotgun I stupidly traded of was a Zabala side by side that killed pheasants like a real champion. That was back in the days before I patterned on paper before taking a shotgun out hunting. Well, shucks! At least I have learned a little bit since then.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2012 06:09 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, me too. I can't remember the last time I shot this much paper? Yes I do, it was when I first bought this Mossberg and that had to have been at least 15 years ago? I think I decided it was good enough, mainly for walking up cripples. I've always liked the Federal 2 oz BB's for that chore.

Damn, that Dead Coyote kicks! I might use the 3" #4Buck as first up followed by Dead Coyote, if I need it....which I hope that I won't?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2012 07:01 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"Damn, that Dead Coyote kicks! I might use the 3" #4Buck as first up followed by Dead Coyote, if I need it....which I hope that I won't?"
----------------------------------------------
I think the 3" #4 BUCK will kill coyotes out to 45 yards or so with the right choke tube for your gun. That Winchester 3&1/2" fodder will likely add another 5-10 yards. You may be wise to bite the bullet and buy a gas operated semi auto shotgun. The kick is still there of course, but the gas operated action soaks up quite a bit of it. I won't be going back out with my shotgun until I have the new speed bead installed. I hope to have some exciting news real soon. I may soon change my screen name to SHOTgunKiller or something really important sounding. I will be a year older in less than four hours now ya see. [Big Grin]

--------------------

JD
HONORARY OKIE .... and Tim's at fault!
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2012 07:34 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday Rich!

--------------------
Jason
--------------------------------------

What do Obama & TA17Rem have in common........both are clueless asshats!!!

Posts: 1456 | From: NE. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2012 08:14 PM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
Concerning shotguns, fit plays a very important role if you intend to hit what you are looking at. A few things to think about.

When your shotgun is mounted, there should be 2 to 3 finger width between the tip of your nose and your thumb as it comes over the top of the grip. Head in an upright position, not tilted to see down the barrel.

Hang a bed sheet on a barb wire fence, make a target in the center and step back about 25 yards. Using a tight choke and bird shot, mount your shotgun and shoot without aiming as it is intended to be done. Lower your gun and repeat for 5 to 7 shots. About this time you will see a hole begin to form in the sheet which indicates where the gun shoots and how it fits you.

Most people mount the gun then chase the target. Your gun should be moving towards the target with your left hand as it is brought to the shoulder by both. This helps to establish your swing and follow-thru. I like to insert my shotgun on the target, then pull ahead for proper lead. No chasing.

Also, your left index finger is layed along side the forearm. You are actually pointing towards the target with this finger. Think about it.

This does not apply to seated shooting, but the shotgun should be mounted from the muzzle down position. Both hands move up to mount versus muzzle up when left is coming down and right is going up. See-saw effect.

Shoot with both eyes open. Try to face as far to the right as you can. It is much easier for a right hander to hit right to left targets by doing this. You are coming into a twist and the stock is continually pressed against the cheek. It also allows much more movement when you have the left to right shots.

I only use a shotgun for birds and targets, not coyotes, but a moving target is a moving target.

Posts: 545 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2012 08:28 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds reasonable? As I said, I'm just not a natural shottie shooter, I learned that a long time ago. Some people got it and some don't. What seems natural for AR is anything but, for me. All I can say is; I manage. With conscious effort.

Good hunting. El Beezer

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2012 10:02 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Most folks have a dominate eye, and do well with shooting with both eyes open. My eyes are equal, meaning that I have learned to shoot with left eye closed. I shoot both scoped rifles and shotguns in same manner. My shotgun is aimed like a rifle. Most shotgun stocks are too long for me, and I end up cutting them down. Remington shotguns are 14" length of pull, which works fine for me. Browning and others with longer pull really suck, because they catch on my clothing when I am dressed in heavy winter clothing. My point? Use what works for you. I will be 71 years old in less than one hour. I have earned the right to shoot my guns however I want, and nobody can take that away from me. [Wink]

--------------------

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2012 06:30 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
R.Shaw;
"...........a moving target is a moving target."

I have to respectfully disagree. Not all moving targets are created equal. I can put the bead on a coyotes nose, aiming the shotgun like a rifle, and do rather well. Needless to say, I really suck at wingshooting.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7595 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2012 07:15 AM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
Koko...This goes without saying, but I will say it anyways. The amount of lead necessary and how a person acquires the lead is all relative.

I think a hold on a 35 yard coyotes nose as he lopes through your stand would be about right.

A crossing clay target at 35 yards from a Lincoln trap with the spring cranked tight requires about a canoe length. Depending on how you get there.

Then you have a squirrel target. Where a clay is rolled down a wooden trough using gravity to power it. Cant shoot until it reaches the ground and you must kill it before it tips over which usually occurs within 8 feet depending on the terrain. And the terrain changes after every shot including your own. Sounds easy. No lead for this one, but it is a nerve rattling, flinch developing SOB.
At least for me. LOL

[ January 16, 2012, 07:44 AM: Message edited by: R.Shaw ]

Posts: 545 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2012 07:41 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
both eyes open, shoulder, swing and shoot.
Nothing to it.
Dang its a shotgun...no need to be surgical when you have to carry the bitch.

Stay after them
Kelly

edit to add - I have only killed one coyote with a shotgun this season, but it is the only one I shot at....so I know what I'm doing...lol

[ January 16, 2012, 07:44 AM: Message edited by: Kelly Jackson ]

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2012 10:29 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Kelly Jackson,
It is nice to see you over here Kelly! I know that you are busy calling coyotes and all, but you have a lot of tips and tricks to share.
Good hunting,
Rich

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2012 11:41 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
both eyes open, shoulder, swing and shoot.
Nothing to it. Kelly Jackson

Great advice! The only thing you forgot was: "ah shucks"I can't tell you just how many dove I have missed with that method.

You know, it's one thing to be a natural wing shooter, and another to not understand the agony those of us not so blessed suffer.

And you, Shaw. I have seen you kill coyotes behind a hill, out of sight, so spare us mere mortals, K?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2012 12:20 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
your shooting behind them LB..lol....and you are picking your head up...
At least half of that is right, for what its worth.

Rich - Happy Birthday, hope all is well.

Stay after them
Kelly

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2012 01:02 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
None of those. I do notice that I have a habit of stopping the swing as the gun discharges. Anyway, I'm not totally inept, but I'm not a natural, either. Count your blessings.

As I said, I manage. But, things can be improved upon. And, that's why I'm doing this shit.

Good hunting. El Beeno

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2012 01:40 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"I do notice that I have a habit of stopping the swing as the gun discharges. Anyway, I'm not totally inept, but I'm not a natural, either. Count your blessings."
-----------------------------
Man I can relate to THAT alright! I finally have learned the "swing through" method which works well for me.

--------------------

JeremyKS
Knows what it's all about
Member # 736

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2012 08:40 PM      Profile for JeremyKS   Author's Homepage   Email JeremyKS         Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody ever try a pistol grip on their shotgun?
Posts: 369 | From: Texas panhandle | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2012 08:56 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I did and it was great sitting on sticks turkey hunting but when things picked up speed, it sucked. I went back to a straight wingshooting type shotgun.
Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2012 08:59 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I did and it was great sitting on sticks turkey hunting but when things picked up speed, it sucked. I went back to a straight wingshooting type shotgun.
Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2012 09:01 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
JeremyKS,

I have observed that quite a few guys are setting up their shotguns with pistol grips. Those things make absolutely no sense to me. I have this notion that those guys simply want to look like soldiers. [Big Grin] [Smile] [Wink]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2012 09:03 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have this notion that those guys simply want to look like soldiers
I had the same thoughts when the AR's started showing up... [Big Grin]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5091 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2012 10:02 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I was never very impressed with the pistol grip on a shottie. lol To me, the pistol grip changes the whole dynamics. I am not a fan.

Good hunting. LB

(but, what do I know?)

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters