The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Can we have a serious discussion about shotguns for coyotes? (Page 7)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Author Topic: Can we have a serious discussion about shotguns for coyotes?
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2012 08:27 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I picked up the card that came with the choke and was very surprised that it said .745"! Nowhere on the website did it say .745" but the card says it. I have a decent calipers but I don't know where to measure the choke? Is it right at the muzzle, or what?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31545 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2012 08:36 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,
Only an educated guess, but try measuring at the front of tube. Inside diameter of course. I will be very surprised if it actually turns out to be .745 I.D.

Edited to add--I just looked on Indian Creek site and found this.
$84.95
FITS GUN MODELS
12 GA ONLY
MODEL # 3004 MOSS 835,935 - Standard Constriction - .710

[ January 28, 2012, 08:42 AM: Message edited by: Rich ]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2012 08:59 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I know! I might be a boob, but I can read the card and it says .745" choke. I might have to call them, but first I will try to measure it and get a number.

Good hunting. LB

edit: I measured it and it's .745" I called and apparently they take the weekend off but I left a message. Two messages, in fact. We will see if I get an explanation, Monday?

[ January 28, 2012, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2012 10:35 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,
I did a little search on Google. It looks like the nominal bore diameter of your 835 is .775, so the choke you received gives you .030 constriction.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2012 11:36 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what to think? The pattern seems reasonable, I don't really want a turkey choke; I'm not that good at pointing a shottie at a running target and as koko said, when they are fifteen or twenty feet away, and running, that pattern out of a turkey choke is pretty small. I think this pattern can kill a coyote and I intend to find out.

Now, the guy I talked to said they have other chokes, if I request them, but this is starting to get out of hand. I'm just screwing around, I don't want to make a career out of patterning different choke tubes. Even at $2 Bucks a pop, it's more money than I really want to invest.

I wish I was like AR Shaw, you just pick up a shottie and don't even think about it, it's automatic, (apparently) and they die. But, what if he uses a different shell, and it shoots to a different point? Is that natural talent going to miss 98% of his shots, or what?

One thing I am finding out, (well I actually knew it before) is that you never know what kind of pattern a specific gun and load will shoot. I hear about tight chokes and large shot and "donuts" and shooting high and all over the place. I saw some targets on line with 3 hits in an 8" circle from Remington shells. WTF? I think it was in a Benelli, too?

I might just call this good, but I would like to see what kind of performance I get on a volunteer.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2012 11:56 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Your pattern looks like a coyote killer to me also. Look at those pellet holes to right and left of center on your above photo. If that target was a broadside coyote, it would have made him very, very dead. You are correct in regard to shotguns being very different from each other in regard to where the pattern goes, which choke it likes and etc. too.

--------------------

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2012 04:30 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
I went out to do a little shooting this afternoon. It was so windy that my makeshift target stand blew over three times. I shot one 3" Federal round that blew a hole right through my paper plate with the dang wad! Looked like I had shot it with a slug. The shotgun still likes the 3&1/2" Winchester #4 BUCK the best. I count 15 holes in that 5&1/2" center of the plate.
 -

--------------------

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2012 05:38 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
I finally got out to pattern the new Wad Wizard tube. It looks like it is a so-so coyote whacker. Good enough, but nothing to brag about.
 -
 -
 -

--------------------

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2012 05:42 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice patterns.. With patterns that tite a shooter could do just as well with one shot from a rifle.. [Smile]

Oh almost forgot! When you do your next pattern test I would like to see 3 seperate plates shot with the same load at same distance if possable. Just for shits and giggles.

[ February 18, 2012, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5122 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2012 09:16 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"Nice patterns.. With patterns that tite a shooter could do just as well with one shot from a rifle."
---------------------------------
That is true of course. A coyote shot with that choke/load at 20 yards will look like bloody swiss cheese. I am so old and crippled up that I am not able to do much actual hunting, so I spend a lot of time testing the shotgun. There is a lot of false claims of 70 yards or more coyote killing shotguns if you use a certain Hevi-shot and a certain brand of choke tube. My testing tells me that coyotes killed by shotguns at 70 yards is more luck than anything else. The Kicks .680 is giving me the best patterns with #4 BUCK and Dead Coyote "T,s". I have found that Hevi-shot patterns have a different point of impact than does lead shot. My gun shoots Hevi shot T,s high and left. Some guys are seeing Hevi shot impacting 14"-15" high, others are seeing 14"-15" low. If I decide to use Hevi shot, I will need to dial the spead bead so that the red dot centers my pattern. Even though the Hevi-shot T,s give me an extra ten yards of sure kill range, the extra money they demand for Hevi shot is holding me back. The Winchester Super X 3&1/2" #4 BUCK gets the nod for now.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2012 12:02 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have found that Hevi-shot patterns have a different point of impact than does lead shot.
I found this to be the same when switching from one type of ammo to the next.. 2 3/4" load of BB's is dead center in my shotgun and 3" Buck is high left with the BB's giveing the best pattern..

--------------------

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2012 02:16 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Rich;
Do you use anything like a Lead-Sled when patterning or do you just tough it out??

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7621 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2012 02:38 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Koko,

I don't use a Lead sled, or anything like that. I knew that I wanted to shoot these 3&1/2" BOOMERS, so I chose a gas operated semi Auto. This type of shotgun seems to soak up a lot of the recoil.

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2012 06:11 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you're not so `old & crippled` after all, just punch drunk from the beatings the recoil is giving you. [Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7621 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2012 08:50 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"I found this to be the same when switching from one type of ammo to the next.. 2 3/4" load of BB's is dead center in my shotgun and 3" Buck is high left with the BB's giveing the best pattern.."
---------------------------------
Copper plated BB's actually do a decent job on coyotes with the correct choke tube. I killed a lot of coyotes with the Winchester XX BB's. I still get upset when I remember Winchester dropping the XX line. I shot a Browning BPS Game gun with iron sights and 23" barrel. Choke was a Hastings .655 which gave me a sure kill range of 45 yards.

--------------------

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2012 09:04 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
KOKO,

I am not recoil shy. I tested four different 10 gauge shotguns way back when. Two different double barrels, a Browning BPS, and a single shot that was a copy of the H&R Topper. That was where I learned that a ten is not superior to a twelve when shooting lead shot. As for the "crippled" statement, I have retained most of my arm and shoulder strength, but the old back and my knees are gone. My stamina has gone south also. Hell, I really should see an eye doctor as well because I can't judge distance worth a crap. Can't even parallel park anymore for fear of hitting another car as I back in there. Don't ever get old KOKO, because if you do you will live to regret it.

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2012 03:56 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
LOL;
Yeah, I'm right at that point where I'm beginning to realize that getting old ain't for sissys.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2012 09:10 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, before I start getting old, I'm going to wait and see what happens to Rich. Sounds like he can't shoot for shit?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2012 09:36 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"Okay, before I start getting old, I'm going to wait and see what happens to Rich. Sounds like he can't shoot for shit?"
----------------------------
Ya got THAT right! [Wink]

--------------------

the bearhunter
HM PROSTAFF & MIDWEST REGIONAL GURU VOTED MOST HANDSOME MINNESOTAN
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted April 11, 2012 05:56 PM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
i had very little intrest in shotgunning coyote till this past winter. tried it a few times in thick cover and by golly, i had some shooting. now i'm thinking of getting a shotgun specifacaly for coyotes without spending a pile of money. does anyone have an opinion on a Stoeger semi-auto. probably won't use it a bunch but they seem reasonable in price and they fit me good.
Posts: 1049 | From: minnifornia | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 11, 2012 06:39 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
My grandson has one. I have not used it but my son has. Not favorable opinion, but that's the way it is with opinions. I don't remember the specific issue, but he had some bitch about it. This is a 12 ga, semi auto with cornfield camo.

Good hunting. LB

edit: might have had something to do with loading?

[ April 11, 2012, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted April 11, 2012 07:10 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
I had one for several years. It worked fine for me. Nothing fancy, but it worked ok. Put a dead coyote tube in and it shot both BB and #4 buck alright. Killed some dove with it also using light loads. This one had no issues.
Bought a Winchester SX3 and sold the stoger to one of my hunting buddies. He has had no issues.

Note: the SX3 don't killem any better, but I thought I just had to have another shotgun...lol

Still have an old Browning pump that I shoot about as good as any I eveer had.
Kelly

[ April 11, 2012, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: Kelly Jackson ]

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted April 11, 2012 08:16 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I shoot a 30 year old Remington 870 Wingmaster, that has a Hastings 26 inch barrel with a full choke tube and Dead Coyote 3 inch T shot. Shot a lot of coyotes with it .Nothing fancy but it does the job quite well.....

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1650 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 11, 2012 09:18 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
does anyone have an opinion on a Stoeger semi-auto.
I have the model 2000 Stoeger, I traded a over-under Stoeger for it late this winter...
Shoots where I point it, handles well and appears to be a clone of the Berretta.
The Stoeger has a pretty tight tolerence and may require a box of ammo run through it to get broke in. I plan to get back into duck hunting if work allows for it this year....

--------------------

the bearhunter
HM PROSTAFF & MIDWEST REGIONAL GURU VOTED MOST HANDSOME MINNESOTAN
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2012 03:16 AM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim. have you shot it much??
Posts: 1049 | From: minnifornia | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters