The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Shooting from the Wrong Side!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Shooting from the Wrong Side!
RayG
Knows what it's all about
Member # 9

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2003 05:57 PM      Profile for RayG   Email RayG         Edit/Delete Post 
How many south paw shooters visit here?

Do you shoot from the left side because you are left handed or left eye dominant or both or ????

Do you also shoot right handed?

Are your rifles/shotguns left side versions?

Ray

--------------------
RG

If you don't vote, don't offer your opinions about the outcome.

Posts: 34 | From: Corvallis, MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 9 posted February 07, 2003 06:56 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm all goofed up. Right handed, but shoot left handed. Kick left-footed. Left eye dominant, but shoot a bow right handed, which wreaks havoc with my brain since I have to aim with my weak eye. Don't own any left-handed weapons, but I do have an old circa-1947 Winchester Model 12 pump shotgun with a retro-fitted left-hand safety. Have never had the money to buy the special guns to fit my handicap, so I just learned to shoot R-handed guns. And, no, I can't switch sides for spit.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2003 08:17 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
...types with his left hand on the right and the right hand on the left????

I heard once that 'left-handed' people are in their 'right' minds.? True?

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2003 09:15 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man, I meant to screen for that! [Eek!]

Why did you want to know, Ray?

Myself, I am criminally right handed, the left hand is virtually useless.

It's tough on lefties, I know that they don't have the selection, as far as guns, but it's getting better.

Good hunting. LB

edit: oops! forgot. Welcome to the new Huntmasters, Ray! [Wink]

[ February 07, 2003, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Woodworker
PAKMAN
Member # 85

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2003 02:52 AM      Profile for Woodworker   Email Woodworker         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm all screwed up [Wink] ....I'm left handed and have shot left handed all my life. Early last year I noticed I was having a hell of a time shotgunning, and just shooting in general. I finally noticed that I was pulling my pistol over to my right eye, did the quick test and yep, my eyes switched dominance on me. In fact I had to get a new glasses prescription as my eye-sight actually seems to be improving....go figure, but I ain't complaining!!! [Big Grin]

well sort of, I guess I am complaining that I'm having to learn to shoot right handed. LOL. On a side note Im pretty sure I took as many Dove right handed as I did left handed last season...I think I'm going to try and cultivate this new feature...

Posts: 7 | From: Kansas | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 14 posted February 08, 2003 07:27 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
See, that's what I mean? Left handers are adaptable, they have to be, they live in a right handed world. Me? I could never switch on doves, if my life depended on it.

I just thought that over, and maybe it wouldn't be too hard. The expression; "one shot, one kill" has always been meaningless for me, when dove hunting. My score couldn't suffer very much.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2003 07:47 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Happily a lefty and shoot that way too. Never a real problem adapting to right handed operation of any firearm, sans 1911 pattern autos that lack a thumb safty on right side for a left thumb. All other operation of the pistol is set up with a lefty in mind really, mag release and slide stop are much easier manipulated with left hand index finger by a lefty than a right handed shooter. Rifle and shotgun shooting is really not a problem to lefties, at least Ive not had any problems?
Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2003 07:58 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
For me it all depends on which side of the truck window I'm shooting out of. [Wink] No, seriously I'm a southpaw when it comes to shooting but right handed with everything else.(weird huh?)And like Leonard said it does make it a little difficult when choosing guns but it is getting better.I remember when I was a kid we didn't have any lefty shotguns so I learned with a old pump action (right handed)and had to learn to reach across the trigger to flip the saftey off when I shot.Wasn't to hard to do when I was just practicing it, but when that big rooster pheasant came flushing out of the brush it was a different story. [Roll Eyes] GOOD HUNTING Chad......
Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
RayG
Member # 9

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2003 05:39 PM      Profile for RayG   Email RayG         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys sorry I didn't jump in here sooner after posting the quesitons Friday night, but I spent the weekend chasing coyotes all over the Mojave Desert.

Leonard, Why ask this goofey shooting question? Because I was wondering how many other goofed up hunters there are. Now I don't feel so quite alone.

I am left eye dominant but I am right handed for nearly everything I do. Except shooting! Years ago (no I won't tell you how many) I was shooting 2700 matches on an Air Force pistol team and had to shoot with an eye patch over my left eye. I figured out that with a little practice I could shoot those damn pistols almost as well left handed. Then I moved into shooting right handed with my rifles. Took some time, but it eventually came about. I realized I was hooked on left hand rifle shooting one day when hunting and I pulled my rifle up to the left cheek for a quick shot. Dead Moose, one shot. Also, nearly broken jaw bone. The 30-06 had a roll-over cheek piece that.... Well, it hurt okay?

Evolution being what it is, I now find that I can sit on a stand and set up for a left hand or a right hand opportunity, most often dictated by where my hunting partners are positioned.

Night hunting is different, lefty all the way. At night I find myself looking past the scope not thru it.

PS. that roll-over cheek piece on that very expensive rifle was carved off befre my next hunt.

--------------------
RG

If you don't vote, don't offer your opinions about the outcome.

Posts: 34 | From: Corvallis, MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jack Roberts
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2003 07:06 PM      Profile for Jack Roberts   Email Jack Roberts         Edit/Delete Post 
I was 100% right handed and right eye dominant. When in my 50s, I injured my right eye, so switched to left eye, left shoulder. I shoot all my right bolt rifles that way. I do not think there is any disadvantage using a right handed rifle left handed. My off-hand scores only suffered a small, temporary decline. And that was probably due to slightly less coodination in my left hand fingers making a smooth trigger squeeze take more concentration.

I can not master a shotgun any more though. No matter how I shoulder it, my dominant right eye, with the poor sight, tries to take over. If I wear a patch over the right eye, I can approach mediocre with a shotgun.

Pistol is no problem. I just use right hand and left eye.

Jack

[ February 10, 2003, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: Jack Roberts ]

Posts: 499 | From: Elko NV formerly MD | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
WolverineAtWork
Member # 23

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2003 07:57 PM      Profile for WolverineAtWork           Edit/Delete Post 
I learned at about age 8 that I was right handed and left eye dominant. My dad took me out shooting his scoped 30-06. Well, here I am w/ my face wrapped around that stock so I can shoot right handed while looking through the scope w/ my left eye. As you may imagine, the bridge of my left eye split like a mellon.

Now, I don't have a dominant eye and can shoot w/ either hand. (though I'm much faster on jump-shooting right handed)

Posts: 87 | From: AZ | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jbrad
PAKMAN
Member # 88

Icon 1 posted February 23, 2003 04:56 PM      Profile for Jbrad   Email Jbrad         Edit/Delete Post 
I am right handed but had to learn to shoot left handed due to being left eye dominant. I have gotten to where I can shoot a rifle equally well either handed. Although follow up shots are faster left handed, even though I only own right hand action guns. I shoot a shotgun left handed only, and I shoot pistols and bows right handed only. So I guess you can group me in the goofy group.

Later,
Justin

Posts: 6 | From: VanAlstyne, Texas | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
hunter
PAKMAN
Member # 147

Icon 6 posted March 03, 2003 03:29 PM      Profile for hunter   Email hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a lefty. I shoot left and always have. I don't have a problem shooting shotguns and handguns built the wrong way, but the bolt actions have to be left-handed guns ever since I bought a lefty bolt action. Right hand guns are just enough hassel that even shooting at the range loading like a single shot I don't like bringing my right hand bolt guns. I traded my 22cal right bolt for a 1022, now I will look for a replacement for my right hand 6mmrem bolt action.
Posts: 3 | From: minnesota | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted March 03, 2003 04:42 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to The New Huntmasters, hunter. Glad to have you on board.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

hunter
PAKMAN
Member # 147

Icon 14 posted March 04, 2003 03:06 PM      Profile for hunter   Email hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks leonard glad to be here.
Posts: 3 | From: minnesota | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters