The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » pros and cons of cast bullets

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pros and cons of cast bullets
Redrider
Knows what it's all about
Member # 79

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2003 02:34 AM      Profile for Redrider   Email Redrider         Edit/Delete Post 
Lets see, I dont know much about cast bullets and I haven't picked up a copy of "Lymans Cast Bullet" book yet. One pro I have heard is that you can never wear out a barrel shooting lead. Con: cleaning? But if you keep the speeds down thats not that big of a problem is it? Pro: light recoil loads. Perfomance: Didn't our Grandfathers shoot a lot of cast bullets on game both big and small? Don't some people out there still do? I do have a lead pot in the garage that we used to make fishing weights and river anchors, so that is one piece of equipment that I already have. Several of my reloading books are quite old and have lots of recipes for cast. We reload now for shotguns and rifles. I have also heard favorable reports of accuracy from certain cast recipes. Just some late night thoughts to ponder.

Happy shooting.

Posts: 27 | From: seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jack Roberts
Knows what it's all about
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2003 08:06 PM      Profile for Jack Roberts   Email Jack Roberts         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been pleased with cast bullets in pistols. In a 44 mag, I get better accuracy than with jacketed bullets. As long as you don't try to push them too fast, leading is not a problem.

A friend of mine shoots cast bullet benchrest matches and those guys are getting phenominal results. It is sort of a science unto itself though. You might try to search for a cast bullet benchrest board.

Jack

Posts: 499 | From: Elko NV formerly MD | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters