The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Favorite 7mm Bullet?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Favorite 7mm Bullet?
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 5 posted January 29, 2004 06:20 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
While we were talking about favorite 6mm bullets, I couldn't help but wonder if anyone else used a 7mm for Varmints.

What's you favorite Bullet in 7mm?

I keep trying different ones, but always find myself going back to the 162 Amax.

What do you use?

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2004 01:48 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, never killed a coyote, or anything else with a 7mm bullet, mainly because I have never owned a rifle chambered for it.

I just wanted to use the opportunity to say you are a man with a big heart, by setting up the elec. for the big social event. Did you get to try some of that "shine"? Been so long since I've had some, I can't remember? As I recall, we could get three guys $hit faced on half a pint. That was good, clear (and expensensive) White Lightning. [Razz]

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2004 05:55 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

I didn't do it for the host. It was another of the things he was supposed to have gotten done that didn't happen.

I did it for a friend, and member of this board. When a friend calls and asks for help, it's not in me to turn him down.

As for the White lightning. It's been a few years since I've had any. The last batch I made I didn't even get to try. In High school, my best friend and I kind of helped ourselves to a 1950's model Grain moisture tester from the back closet of the Agriculture class. With a few modifications and a little copper tubing. It made a hell of a small still.

The last time I used it, was in my Dorm room at Purdue University. I set it up to run, then went to a party. I came home to find that the coolant tube had clogged and the entire thing had exploded. Spraying fermented corn mash all over the room.

I cleaned it up and tossed the still in a dumpster. The next morning the Resident Officials were all over the place trying to find the source of the Whiskey smell. They knew it was my room, but their searches turned up nothing. The room reeked of soured corn for the rest of the year. [Eek!]

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hawkeye
Knows what it's all about
Member # 216

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2004 06:54 PM      Profile for Hawkeye   Email Hawkeye         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim Ive only shot 1 coyote with my 7 ultra mag I was using 162 amax 3020ft per sec 60yds not pretty.
Posts: 71 | From: Tucson,AZ | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jack Roberts
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2004 09:32 PM      Profile for Jack Roberts   Email Jack Roberts         Edit/Delete Post 
I use a 7mm bullet for long range shooting(500-1500 yards) I never tried to shoot a coyote out there because they won't usually stand still long enough.

JLKs 180gr VLD is as close as you can get to a laser at those ranges. It is not a laser, you still have to read conditions, but you have a lot more room for error with the high BC(.738). I use a 280AI to launch it at 2970fps.

Maybe someday a coyote will sit out there at 1200 yards for 2-3 minutes while I range it, calculate all the variables, and shoot at it, and wait a couple more seconds for the bullet to arrive. I am not holding my breath for that.

Colony varmints can be shot at long range, they will stand still. Predators almost never stand still for more than a second or two. That makes it impossible to have much more than a 'hail mary' shot at long range.

Jack

Posts: 499 | From: Elko NV formerly MD | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2004 07:31 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pushing these 162's at 2781. I've found as long as I can keep the coyotes at least 300 yards out, they don't make a mess ( Usually )

We don't have any of those colony varmints down here. I wish we did. Trying to locate a jackrabbit at 1,000 yards is tough, and like Jack said, the coyotes just don't hold still for very long.

I may have to give the 7mm JLK bullets a try soon, I've been playing with them in 30 cal. and love them

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

varmint101
Member # 41

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2004 07:56 AM      Profile for varmint101   Email varmint101         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, what dorm room at Purdue were you at? I was at Cary Quad when I was there. If I named it wrong it was the one by the football stadium and basketball arena.

Matt

--------------------
"From my cold dead hands."

Posts: 60 | From: Seymour, IN | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2004 08:13 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in Tarkington (SP?) You didn't do that New Years midnight run over at the Quad did you? I never ran, but I did show up to watch one year. [Eek!]

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2004 12:47 PM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, I am shooting the 150 gr Scirocco in my .280. Grouping 2.658" at 600 yards. I cant get a Coyote to lean against the back stop at that range. So I can't say how they do on varmints either.

Ronnie

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
varmint101
Member # 41

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2004 04:22 PM      Profile for varmint101   Email varmint101         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL No I didn't Tim. They had police out there in force when it was supposed to happen. Oh well. I did however walk around while they were all torching the place and flipping over small cars after our womens basketball team LOST to Notre Dame I think it was in the championship game. It's like HELLO! We lost! It was funny seeing a crowd disperse when the cops busted'm with tear gas. [Smile]

Matt

[ January 30, 2004, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: varmint101 ]

--------------------
"From my cold dead hands."

Posts: 60 | From: Seymour, IN | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2004 08:22 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
There were a few cops there the year I went, but it think they just showed up to watch same as most of us. The next years, they were supposed to stop it, but that was at the end of my third and final semester, and I didn't hang around to see what happened. Most of the girls were too well insulated to be running naked in my opinion. [Eek!] But it still was fun to watch.

I did take part in one "Riot" according to the local paper. Some genius advertised a party in the school newspaper and a couple of thousand ( Literally ) showed up. [Big Grin] The only thing "Violent" I saw was a guy beside me tossed a empty beer bottle though a Restaurant sign. But what did they expect? 2,000+ guests and only one keg? [Mad]

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters