The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » New Gun!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Gun!
brent Saxton
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted October 14, 2004 12:56 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Since I didnt haft to buy my air line tickets to AZ and had some cast, I went out today and jumped all over a new rifle! (Thought maybe it would make me feel better I gess) And it did! [Big Grin]

I bought the new savage in 22-250. With the acu-trigger. I havent shot it yet but I really like the trigger! I set it down to around 21/2 pounds. I bought the package deal and it came with weaver base and rings and a cheap tasco scope. The scope is coming off in the morning and I have an atec in the gun case that is going on there.

A trip to Wal Mart for some camp paint after I make sure it shoots ok and everything is good to go with the gun. Its has a nice wood stock, almost hate to paint it. But I bought it to hunt with so, it will be painted soon.

So, does any of you all shoot the 22-250? If so how about some factory rounds that shoot well? This is my first 22-250. Im an Ar man most of the time, but i have read and heard some good things out of the savage 22-250's. I have a set of dies to load the 22-250 but need some brass. So, I will be shooting factory loads in it for awhile. Mostly coyote's, cats, fox. Dont figure it will be very fur friendly for fox.

Brent

IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 14, 2004 02:39 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Around here, a 22-250 is a basic, must have caliber for predators. Just focus on 55 grain bullets and most everything works.

I'm sure your name will be on the discusion agenda, around the campfire. lol Question: which came first, the cancellation or the Savage? [Smile]

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted October 14, 2004 04:00 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Keekee, I did a lot of probing when I got my Howa 1500 and settled into 55 grain BTHP's and love them. I've shot two coyotes, both on complaints. The first was at 145 yards. Bullet in, bullet out, both holes looked the same but that coyote was DRT (dead right there!). The second was a 29 yarder and I caught her in the spine. Sewable, but nasty. Again, DRT! Now, I did take another shot at a coyote that I would guess to be around 325 yards. Word of advice, 22-250's don't even get their feet under them until they're out there about 400 yards. I laid the reticle right across his back and he hit the ground hard before jumping up and running outta there. Bet he has a bare spot across his shoulder blades. I have been a .223 man for years, but I can't say enuff good about the 250 at this point.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
brent Saxton
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted October 14, 2004 04:32 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard.....Not funny... [Frown] .....lol, if you talk about me, make it good and have Rich record it so I can see it!

Cdog....Sounds like I will be happy with it then! I looked threw some shells there at the shop and man there was a big section for 22-250! I will be in heaven! I like to save my pelts to sell so I dont want know more damage than I haft to. I shoot 55 gr out of the Ar.

Looks like it will come in handy in the stripmines here and also in AZ in Jan. It will see some range time for sure. Im looking forward to playing around with it at some long range shots. Just means more time shooting and loading! [Big Grin]

Brent

Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted October 14, 2004 06:42 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Brent,

If you, Bruce and Norm don't end up with a video tape from Rich, that just gushes over with all of the nice things we said about you, Well hell, don't be surprised. Krusty probably won't get one either. [Wink]

Don't think of it as if we didn't say anything nice, maybe Rich just forgot to record all of the nice things we say! Don't forget, Nistetter is going to be there, and when Jay is around, nearly anything can and will happen. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 14, 2004 09:14 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, and you don't get to vote for the ugliest twin.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

brent Saxton
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2004 03:37 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Thats ok guys, I can take it! [Wink] It wont be the first time....lol

Sorry for missing the vote Leonard! You can vote for me! [Big Grin] Being though your such I nice guy and all!

Brent

Norm
Knows what it's all about
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2004 07:36 AM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
heck... you ain't going to say anything that you wouldn't have said in front of me...

I am going to miss out on riding Bruce's new Caddy and speaking with some legends (no not danny or leonard they are antiques), but I got to thinking... I will not have aching stomach muscles for the following two weeks....

I thought the ugly twins were holing up with Tyler in the Bronco;

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Posts: 778 | From: Phx AZ | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2004 10:30 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing for sure, we are going to have fun! And, nobody is immune, we will probably roast everybody, at least once; present and not present, and recently present.....

Yeah, the twins in the same vehicle, someone is bound to eat chilli... reminds me of something. Maybe we should all wear name tags?

I know one thing; we need to keep an eye on Higgins and his damned camera.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

James L.
Member # 239

Icon 14 posted October 15, 2004 04:09 PM      Profile for James L.           Edit/Delete Post 
Hornady V Max 55 grain factory loads.. They are molly coated but the molly will come out easy when you get ready to start handloading.

I used flitz polish on mine before I ever fire a shot through them. Don't know if it actually helps but you will be surprised at the trash that comes out of the barrel. [Eek!] ...Good luck...James L.

--------------------
Never underestimate the power of stupid people.

Posts: 18 | From: Shelbyville, Texas | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
brent Saxton
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2004 09:00 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks James L,

I changed my mind! I ran out yesterday eve and picked up some brass! Set down this morning and loaded up a few rounds.

I did run some flitz polish threw it today also, your right alot of junk!

Im going to run some rounds threw it in the afternoon tomarrow. I got the scope changed out this morning to. Should be ready to go, I hope.

Brent

dafooge
Member # 432

Icon 1 posted November 02, 2004 05:06 PM      Profile for dafooge   Email dafooge         Edit/Delete Post 
kee kee ,,dont paint it,,,i have a 12fv syn stock ill sell ya,,,
Posts: 27 | From: syracuse new york | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
dafooge
Member # 432

Icon 1 posted November 02, 2004 05:12 PM      Profile for dafooge   Email dafooge         Edit/Delete Post 
i forgot to mention what round i shoot thru my 22-250 savage,,,40gr hornadys v max molys,,unreal how they shoot,,,my gun was vised and bagged it shot thru the same holes twice at 100,, i did the gun and me a favor and put a 4200 elite nice dog gun and the 40s dont do to bad on the pelts,,happy trails dafooge
brent Saxton
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted November 03, 2004 04:43 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Send me an e-mail and some pic's and a price!

I maybe interested!

keescalls@yahoo.com

Brent

[ November 03, 2004, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: keekee ]

dafooge
Member # 432

Icon 1 posted November 03, 2004 06:15 PM      Profile for dafooge   Email dafooge         Edit/Delete Post 
kee,kee

what model savage did you buy? my stock is for the 12fv heavy barrel,,and i will take 125.00 for the stock and ill pay shipping, go to www,savagearms.com and click on the 12fv black syn stock,,,mine is mint, thanks dafooge [Smile] [Roll Eyes] [Wink]

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 05:40 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Gulp...

$125, for a Savage plastic stock? Was that a typo? You can buy as many as you want for $20 each.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 06:01 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
DAA,

I was kind of wondering the same thing. The last factory stock I bought was for a M70, I paid $15 and shipping from TN.

Good gunsmiths are always a good source for cheap factory take off stocks. They always seem to have several gathering dust in the corner someplace.

Tim

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
dafooge
Member # 432

Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 06:15 AM      Profile for dafooge   Email dafooge         Edit/Delete Post 
this is the same stock savage ***** ,,,not a blank or a knock off,,black syn,positive checking, dual pillar bedding,,just bolt on and shoot..they want 120.00 plus shipping..i will take 75.00 plus shipping then,,i hope thats a better deal. [Eek!] [Roll Eyes]

[ November 04, 2004, 06:21 AM: Message edited by: dafooge ]

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters