The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » One damn recipe please...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: One damn recipe please...
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2004 01:38 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
So the last time I went calling, a month or so ago, I missed a TOTAL gimme shot.

Now I know why.

I had been really worried lately, that my scope wasn't holding zero, everytime I'd take the gun out I'd have to re-sight it in, and Red had to also.

Monday evening Red and I went shooting, together, we haven't been since before I missed the coyote.

We set up our targets, ranged them with the new Nikon rangefinder at 116 yds, and got to business.
I pulled a box of handloaded .222s from my crate (the same box I have been shooting, or not shooting, for a long time now) Red grabs the box he was shooting last few times.
I look at the masking tape label on top and they are totally different.

Different cases, different powders, and projectiles of different weights.

I loaded up three rounds out of my box and sent em downrange, all three landed in a loose group (even for me) about ten inches high and durn near that far right. [Mad]
Then I jacked in three from Red's box and sent em flying... a nice (enough) group, just slightly right.

Two clicks left, and several more five shot groups later, all had landed on the point the crosshairs actually crossed. [Wink]

That's it no more six boxes of six different recipes for each gun....

One damn recipe please. [Razz]

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2004 01:48 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm at a loss for words.

pause, pause.

<sigh> I can't tell you how basic it is to know what you are putting in your rifle.

If I miss a chip shot, I IMMEDIATELY try to determine the reason, before any more harm is done. In fact, I almost always begin a hunt with a "sighter" just to make sure there is no question of my ability to put the first round exactly where I want it. These things are learned the hard way, unfortunately.

Go forth and sin no more, my son.

Good hunting. LB

edit: recipe is a word that has something to do with baking cookies, okay?

[ October 15, 2004, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2004 03:13 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

Anarchist Cookbook, not a single cookie recipe in it.
I thought recipe was an acceptable term for a handloaded rifle cartridge?

Is that one of those words that drives you crazy?
Dampening in a shock is the one that gets me, nothing is getting damp, it's damping.

This is the whole reason I need to have my own rifle, I shoot a loaner, and can't always verify everything myself.

It's also how I ran into this problem, Red had a day to go to the range just before my last outing, but I had to work.
He took his gun, his box of bullets, and he verified it was okay (I didn't know he had decided to change loads again, but should have expected it).
I went over two days later and borrowed the Duece, got up very early the next morning and drove a couple hours to coyoteland.
We got there, walked out to the first place we didn't find deer hunters, and sat down to call.

I have solved the problem by vowing not to use a rifle again, until I have my own.
That way I can pick a brand of factory cartridges it likes, keep some stock on hand, and stick with it.

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
James L.
Knows what it's all about
Member # 239

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2004 04:18 PM      Profile for James L.           Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty: One point to remember.. Even factory loads can be different. Even among the same brand, such as Hornady, Winchester, Remington etc.. etc..

You can look at the end of the box and they have a lot number on the box inside the flap. To ensure that the bullet will shoot to the same point of impact, the lot number needs to be the same.

Getting the same lot number is usually pretty easy but needs to be looked at.

I am not saying that they will automatically be different but they reset and run different loads at different times so when they come back to that load combo it might very well be off...........James L.

edited for some spellin' [Big Grin]

[ October 15, 2004, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: James L. ]

--------------------
Never underestimate the power of stupid people.

Posts: 18 | From: Shelbyville, Texas | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2004 08:03 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty,

It all is determined by what you consider as acceptable accuracy. I don't shoot factory ammo myself, and won't put a factory round though any of my rifles but my SKS.

Every time you but a factory round with a different lot number, you need to resight in your scope to the new lot. Many may hit so close to the last lot, it's not worth changing zero. But from time to time, you will get a lot that hits completely different. Each barrel has it's own sweet spot.

If you are looking for a cheap rifle. With cheap factory ammo look at the .223 An inexpensive little rifle with the cheapest centerfire ammo you will find. Just be sure to check the zero, everytime you open a new box of bullets.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
TT
Member # 401

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2004 09:01 PM      Profile for TT           Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty! My favorite load in .222 is 21gr. H4198 with 50 gr Hornady spsx bullets. Very accurate load and oddly enough when this same question came up on another forum way back I was surprised to see how many other shooters were using the same recipe. tt
Posts: 15 | From: SWOntario | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2004 10:40 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
James,

That's a good point, thanks.
It'd be worth double checking every box or so anyways huh?

Tim,

I can't shoot worth beans, if go to the pit, sit on the ground with shooting sticks and shoot groups I can cover with my hand at 100yds, I consider that okay.
On a good day I can shoot a lil better than that, and at the range off bags a lot better.

I hunt with Red 95% of the time, and it's his rifle, so it is very rare that I ever use it on a stand.

TT,

Yeah, that's pretty standard, from everyone I have ever asked.
Ours has a long bbl and runs a little hot so we've backed off a bit on the powder.
It likes 19.5 gr IMR 4198, with either a 50 gr V-max or a Rem 52 gr SP.
The hollow points tend to hang up too much in cycling, though that's what both brands were the other day.

Krusty  -

--------------------

Bofire
READ MY LIPS!
Member # 221

Icon 6 posted October 16, 2004 08:17 AM      Profile for Bofire   Author's Homepage   Email Bofire         Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty! remind me of this next time we go. New requirement, check Krustys sight-in. DAng itt! We had that yote where we wanted him. Wait a minute its all Reds fault. thats it!! [Big Grin]
HEE HEE, I think you need a 223 too, LOL, [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
if you guys knew Krusty??? He thinks 223s suck .

Tom, has two Tikka, 223s in stock, stainless and blue both.
se e ya later dude
Carl

Posts: 322 | From: Wild West | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2004 08:51 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
One quick fix that I've found that helps out nearly every poorly shooting rifle, just replace or adjust the nut behind the bolt.

Works perfectly nearly every time. [Wink]

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2004 11:53 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Bofire

I never said I didn't like .223's or AR's. I dunno where that comes from?

I once owned a Colt AR, and fired cases of mil-surp ammo through it.
I know from a logical/economical point of view a .223 is a great choice.

But I like to be "an original", and that is the only reason I would shy away from it.
I do love the .222 it appeals to the cheapness in me, it stands on a great reputation, and is enough without being too much

I am not in the market for a new rifle, or a used one, I'll just have to make do.

Tim,

I couldn't agree more, to replace me as the "rifleman" is the best thing.
Red consistantly shoots groups 1/4 the size I do with the same guns, and he owns the rifles.

The best way to make sure it is set up, for the cartridges he loads, if is he shoots it 100% of the time.
That has been the case 95% of the time.

And I paid the price for the 5%.

It's okay though I guess... I learned a valuable lesson, the way I'll remember it best, the hard way.

I thought I "handled" the stand and coyote well, even if it was a "dismal failure" by some people's standards.
I had to turn 90° from where I was facing to make the shot, which I slowly did. I tried for as long as I could to coax the coyote a lil bit closer.
I never got the shakes, or excited, and I took a long time to finally squeeze off the round, after I had settled my elbows solidly on my knees.
After the shot, even though I was sure I'd seen my very first coyote fall over backwards in my scope, I did some ki yi's and waited for it's partner (if it had one) to show itself... heck I didn't even jump up and yell "I got it!"

No, I don't feel bad about that one at all.

Krusty  -

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2004 12:10 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No, I don't feel bad about that one at all.

Krusty

Yeah, well I DO ! I never like to see a coyote get away. NEVER! EVER!

You owe us. Do whatever it takes. Kill a coyote, dang it!

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2004 06:25 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You owe us.
I am aware of that, it's part of my driving force, especially when the going is tough.

Danny would make 6 more stands before he called it quits, I tell myself.
Byron woulda picked up that running shot.
Vic would have known exactly where the POI was.
Q coulda seen that coyote waaay out there.
And so on...

I know I have a lot of people pullin' for me, and I appreciate that.

I know I owe,

Krusty  -

P.S. Trust me, when I got through the fence, over the hump, and around the sage brush skeleton (all well marked in my mind, so's I knew right where it was) and found no dead coyote laying there, I DID NOT LIKE IT! [Confused]

[ October 16, 2004, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: Krustyklimber ]

--------------------

chris112
PAKMAN
Member # 421

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2004 08:35 AM      Profile for chris112           Edit/Delete Post 
Amen. I had the same problem a long time ago, the only cure was one load and no more.
Skinner 2
Member # 419

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2004 08:56 AM      Profile for Skinner 2   Email Skinner 2         Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty,
Tip, Use one load ("recipe")for each gun. Most shooters use Kentucky windage and elevation while shooting. Never has anyone tried to figure out different loads for all situations.

OK coyotes ranged at 173 yards. 45 degree crosswind call for recipe..."Wait Mr coyote I'm still cifering"... put boot back on, OK I need recipe 2h3r ( stands for 2 inches high and three right), open box, load clip insert clip, jack in round... WAIT what if I miss and the coyote moves load 2h3r may not be right...try anyway....NOW where did he go? HEY Red you see em still...Red wake up. [Big Grin]

Jerkin your chain Krusty. [Wink]

Skinner 2

Posts: 17 | From: Southeast Michigan | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters