The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Project.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Project.
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted December 06, 2004 07:07 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know that you guys are really interested in my rifle projects or not. But, I've been thinking about them a lot lately, and feel like typing about it, so I'll take a chance on boring you.

Took another step closer to getting my current project complete today. Ordered the stock.

This is one of those deals where I don't have the money to do it all at once, so I'm spreading it out, gathering parts as I can. Ordered the barrel in October, a Lilja #4 .17 caliber with a 9 twist. Then in November, while keeping my eyes peeled for a good deal on an action donor, I decided to just use a stainless Model Seven .223 I already have. Today I ordered a McMillan Rem. Classic with the molded in desert camo finish (inletted for the Seven action and bottom metal, of course).

Barrel ought to be arriving in about 3 weeks, stock they said would be 6 to 10.

So... Along about early March (tax refund), I'll gather up the action, barrel and stock, and send it all to Greg Tannel. Going to have him give the M7 his "full treatment" (Greg details Remington actions like no other). Completely unecessary on a predator calling rifle, but it's what I want and I'll sleep better at night knowing the action has been fully prepared. Barrel is going to be chambered in .17 Predator (a bit more capacity than the .17 Rem.), crowned at 24". Action will be pillar bedded in the McMillan stock, of course. Scope will be the Leupold 4.5x14-40 that's currently on the action, until I can fund the Swarovski 3x10-42 I've got planned for it eventually.

This will be my bread and butter calling rifle for next year (and many years to come, I hope). Ought to be Sweet!

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Weasel
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 06, 2004 07:40 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested in other folks rifle projects. Yours sounds like it'll be a great calling rifle and prairie dog wacker.
IP: Logged
Dave
Knows what it's all about
Member # 402

Icon 1 posted December 06, 2004 07:45 PM      Profile for Dave   Email Dave         Edit/Delete Post 
DAA,

Sound's like one heck of a tack driver! Some day

I too will build my dream rifle. Piece by piece.

I understand the $ issue.

Dave

Posts: 28 | From: South Dakota | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 06, 2004 08:55 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, sounds great. I didn't know that McMillian had the Desert Camo? I have a couple with a sort of Easter egg pattern, one is various greens, and the other is yellow and black sworrels. McMillian seems to take forever, huh?

My proj hasn't arrived either, but it's not custom. Don't mean to sound like I'm over a "phase" but some of the things I need to do don't hardly require a reinvention of the wheel.

What powder is indicated in this new 17? I'm wondering on your target bullet weights; will the 1-9 twist stabilize heavy bullets?

Good luck, LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2004 05:33 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, I'll be shooting 30's in this one. Will try some 26's and 27's, but, plan is to shoot 30 gr. boat tails, if the barrel likes them.

Powder choice will have to sort itself out, of course, but the guy who created the .17 Predator is doing real well with N550. Hope mine likes it too, as that is what I use in both my .22-250AI and 6AI. Nice to have several barrels all eating from the same bin.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2004 06:33 AM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
It ought to be a dandy Dave, The anticipation is half the fun. What really stinks is when projects don't work out. I have had a couple that really should have been outstanding and were mediocre at best. But you just keep playing till you get a good one.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
catskin
Member # 51

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2004 09:43 AM      Profile for catskin           Edit/Delete Post 
I have the poor man's version of the same rifle, in progress - Model Seven, Lilja #2 SS 1/9 twist chambered to 17 Predator, Rifle Basix trigger, I keep the Model Seven stock and do the action and chambering work myself.
Posts: 76 | From: Oregon | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 14 posted December 07, 2004 04:49 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for sharing Dave. I started getting the VHA mag several years ago mostly for the predator/varmint stuff. I have found that now I really enjoy the "tech stuff" that the magazine has a lot of. I especially like Steve Timm's articles on building a rifle from the ground up.

Anyway, I'm glad your sharing this project with guys like me who have never even had a custom barrel, but I dream of maybe someday getting something put together that would be perfect for my needs. When you mentioned names and numbers that really helps because if a guy doesn't have prior experience with who is good it can be tough to know who to spend money with.

Are you going with the stock trigger on the Rem and just have it tuned up, or will you have an after market trigger installed?

I hate like hell to ask, because its none of my business, but what does G. Tannel charge for giving a Remington the "full treatment?"

Thanks

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2004 04:54 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen pictures of some of dave's guns. Way too pretty for me to hunt with. That's not a knock. [Smile]

Yeah, what's he want to full house blue print a Remington? Like....if I wanted to shoot 'em in the eye, or something, ya know?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2004 05:27 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest, I've been avoiding looking at exactly how much Tannel charges for the full treatment. He goes whole hog though. Bores out the reciever and puts two bushings on the bolt, turns down the firing pin tip and bushes the hole etc... Lots of detail work not normally included in a "blueprinting" job. All that in addition to the usual stuff of facing off the reciever, recutting the threads, remachining lugs and seats and bolt face and all that. Really, I don't know how much, yet. One of those things I just kind of avoid finding out until I have to. The guy I used to use, charges $200, for a lot less thorough job.

Lonny, on the trigger, I'm sticking with the Remington that is already there. I had Neil Jones do a real nice job on it years ago, so it's right how I like it already.

Ken, that sounds like a sweetheart you're putting together too. How long are you going on your barrel? Sticking with the M7 stock, and going with a #2, I'm thinking you're wanting to stay true to the Model Seven nature - compact and handy. Which is a neat package. I'll no doubt end up replacing my M7 some day. Just to have a rifle that light and handy back.

- DAA

--------------------

catskin
Member # 51

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2004 07:27 PM      Profile for catskin           Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at all Greg's prices broken down he's not really that high for what is done, it's just he has so many options, adding it all up it gets spooky. DanC's rifle is a Dream calling rifle, I assume yours will be like that [Smile]

Just to drool over...
 -

I own a few of Greg's chambering tools and a pile of his video's, I might buy into the coolant system also, but I just do it for fun.

I'll start at 25" if there is enough stock because I can, then start working loads and cutting the barrel until I'm happy. I'm looking to keep the 30's at 4000+

[ December 07, 2004, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: catskin ]

Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted December 08, 2004 04:27 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Ken,

I went with the Stainless barrel and have a smaller scope. But I was shocked at how similar our 17's look!
 -

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted December 08, 2004 06:51 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, those are pics of Dan Clements' rifle. Mine will be similar in components and configuration, but look pretty different. And that actually is a stainless barrel on Dan's rifle too. He just had it teflon coated. His is a fluted #5, mine will be an unfluted #4, and I'm going with a bead blast finish rather than coating.

Ken, 4000+ with the 30's is exactly what I'm after too. Crowning mine at 24" right out of the gate though. I just prefer not having a barrel longer than that on an "every stand" calling rifle. I think we'll get there. Dan's getting 4100, with his 26".

- DAA

--------------------

catskin
Member # 51

Icon 1 posted December 08, 2004 08:31 AM      Profile for catskin           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah that’s Dans Rifle, a full house Gre-Tan rifle, the first 17 Predator. There is a post where Dan tells the story of this rifle over on Coyote Gods in S.Frames group although the photos are long gone. (Search on ’17 Predator’) That’s when I decided I needed on of those so I saved the photos.

I hope so Dave – I’m pretty comfortable with a 24” barrel on a stand and I don’t want a ton of weight out there because I still want some quickness close in. From the looks of it with the #2 I should be at .600” at 24” and with a .17 cal hole, it shouldn’t be to awkward for me, I’m a pretty short guy.

[ December 08, 2004, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: catskin ]

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters