The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Marlin 1895 "cowboy"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Marlin 1895 "cowboy"
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2005 05:28 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Guys,
I bought myself a new fur gun. Marlin 1895 "cowboy" in .45-70 caliber. My old eyes can't see the iron sights for beans, so I mounted a K 2.5 Weaver on it. Since new brass is almost as high in cost as loaded ammo, I have started out with Winchester fodder with the little 300 grain semi jacketed hollow point. I think that if I can call a coyote in close enough, this old work horse of a gun will ruin his day. Yesterday I picked up a box of Speer 400 grain flat points, and ordered a set of loading dies. I am starting to have fun already. [Smile]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2005 07:12 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Any coyotes with it yet? I assume it will punch a hole through a coyote without alot of pelt damage,much the same as a shotgun slug.

Dennis

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Knows what it's all about
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2005 07:35 AM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich,
That does sound like fun. I have an old 25-35 of my grandads that I have always been going to take calling. Never have, but I will someday. I did kill a whitetail with it last year. Made it kind of a fun hunt. I have always wanted one of the 45-70 "guide guns" but I have no idea why. Just looks like fun.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2005 07:44 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Greenside,
No coyotes with the new fur gun yet. I fired it a few times the other day to get the scope half way zeroed. Haven't shot past the 60 yard mark yet. I plan to zero at 100 yards my next time out. The first coyote I shoot with this gun will be photographed, and I will post a picture of the poor critter. I am hoping that you are correct about the fur damage thing. I think they use a lot of saboted .45 caliber bullets in the shotgun loads for deer. Time will tell I guess. We are having a warm spell here now, and fields are pretty muddy. You wouldn't want me to get that almost new Dodge truck all dirty now would you? [Smile]

--------------------

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2005 11:27 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Cal,
I wanted a "guide" gun too, and then I got an eye full of the long octagon barrel, straight grip and clean lines of this here cowboy gun. Even old Tom Horn would have been proud to own one of these buggers. [Smile]

--------------------

Z
Member # 303

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2005 09:10 AM      Profile for Z   Author's Homepage   Email Z         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a Cowboy Action Shooter and those guns are used a lot in our "Rifle-Caliber, lever action, longe-range" side matches. If I was an elk hunter only hunting timber and thick stuff that would be my gun of choice. Out to 200 yard you shouldn't have any trouble hitting an elk with it.

I too, have always wanted a guide gun, but don't have any use for it. However, if I was going to Alaska I would have one in a stainless version. I know a lot of the fishing guides up there carry a 12 gauge alternating slugs and OO buck. But I think I would opt for the guide gun stoked with hot 45-70 loads.

Posts: 51 | From: Bluffdale, UT | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
GUTPILE
Member # 448

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2005 07:11 PM      Profile for GUTPILE           Edit/Delete Post 
I've got an 1895M in 450 Marlin. Wholly crap batman......shot at a bear this year with it and scared me half to death. Has a muzzlebreak also. Missed at 125 yards open sights. Saddle gun for the 660 Grizzly.

--------------------
Guns have two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS.

TOO FEW PEOPLE MAKE TOO MANY DECISIONS FOR TOO MANY PEOPLE

Posts: 132 | From: Curlew Wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters