The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » .223 vs .22-250 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: .223 vs .22-250
Hustler
PAKMAN
Member # 550

Icon 5 posted February 02, 2005 05:06 PM      Profile for Hustler   Email Hustler         Edit/Delete Post 
I am trying to get some personal preferences between the .223 bullet and the .22-250. I have sot a Ruger #1 SS BB in .22-250. It has never let me down, but I am purchasing a Howa varminter BB with a thumbhole stock. A little bit of opinion as to which caliber would be better would be appreciated. Thank You
Posts: 2 | From: Wichita Falls Texas | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2005 06:48 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the New Huntmasters, Hustler. Great movie, eh? I'm rather fond of a game of straight pool, eight ball, nine ball, etc. (looked at your profile) Anyway, Glad to have you on board.

I'm really glad you ask the question you did. Although a man can get by with a 223, it is my personal opinion that coyote medicine starts with a 22-250 Remington. I understand the desire to acquire something different, (been there) but a 223 will have limitations, depending on the type of country you hunt.

I'm sure others may feel exactly the opposite, and that's fine. I cordially invite them to weigh in on the question. Please convince us both.

Good hunting. LB

edit: what's meant by BB? Bull barrel?

[ February 02, 2005, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
GUTPILE
Knows what it's all about
Member # 448

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2005 07:05 PM      Profile for GUTPILE           Edit/Delete Post 
I've got both calibers. I'd say 22-250 because where I live it's very open to very timbered. Just dependes on what you like. 223 ammo is cheaper to buy than the 22-250. I don't reload so I buy a couple hundred rounds at a time for each.
Good luck.

[ February 02, 2005, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: GUTPILE ]

--------------------
Guns have two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS.

TOO FEW PEOPLE MAKE TOO MANY DECISIONS FOR TOO MANY PEOPLE

Posts: 132 | From: Curlew Wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
tneff
Member # 551

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2005 07:10 PM      Profile for tneff   Email tneff         Edit/Delete Post 
I think alot of the thinking in the decision is in the area you hunt , where we are at a 250+ yard shot is very uncommon . The majority of shots fired are in the 100 yard range and 150-175 being a long shot . Wichita Falls has alot more open landscape than we have as do alot of others . We recently purchased a 22-250 and are still working the bugs out with it , we use our Ruger 243's more than anything .
Posts: 15 | From: Texas | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hustler
PAKMAN
Member # 550

Icon 6 posted February 05, 2005 02:44 PM      Profile for Hustler   Email Hustler         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the input, I appreciate the info. Around here we shoot coyotes from 50 feet to around three hundred yards. My longest shot was six hundred yards and I think the coyote jumped in front of it(ha ha). Anyway I am going to go with what I trust and buy the 22-250.

Ps. BB is bull barrel or Heavy barrel.

Now I just got to get out there and try it out.

Posts: 2 | From: Wichita Falls Texas | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2005 08:56 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The way I look at it, a 22-250 can do anything a 223 can do. But a 223 can't do everything a 22-250 can do. It's a little cheaper to shoot, but in a hunting gun, that's a minor part of the cost, the ammunition. Accuracy is a tossup. In a prairie dog gun, the 223 will last longer. But, it will take you fifteen years to shoot out a 22-250 barrel, hunting coyotes.

I'm sure you will never regret your choice.

Good hunting. LB

[ February 05, 2005, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Buck
PAKMAN
Member # 579

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2005 04:28 PM      Profile for Buck   Email Buck         Edit/Delete Post 
I was recently trying to decide myself on this question. Out to 225-250yds the .223 will do the job with less recoil, less noise, barrell wear etc. I like to keep my shots clean as possible and therefore do not take long shots, so the .223 was my choice.

Buck

--------------------
Buck

Posts: 5 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2005 05:36 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I asked this same question two years ago after being an avid and devout .223 man for many years. I listened to someone that felt that no .22 centerfire was capable of anchoring a coyote and added a .25-06 to my gun cabinet. Never did like the prospect of firing that thing at anything smaller than a coyote, and coyotes made me wince. I found a great deal on a .22-250 and I'll shoot one until I die. I never had the enjoyment of that unmistakable meat report that you get with a decent hit from the 22-250 when shooting a .223 and I don't really miss NOT seeing the coyote flip, flop, and spin after the hit while everyone waits for the trauma to take effect. Sure, there are guys that can split hairs with the .223 and anchor every coyote they draw crosshairs on. I ain't one of them and have no bones about admitting it. But, I've killed all but two of the coyotes I drew down on this year with that 22-250 and the recoil wasn't bad enough that I lost sight of the hit in the scope. As far as cost, I found my ammo online and am spending roughly 3 cents more per round than a similar round in .223. Finally, I got tired of watching coyote roll and run off. Give me the choice between running one down or sewing up a hole and I'm a tailor, man.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2005 09:58 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Lance, there are many differing opinions on exactly what caliber is the best for any situation, and it reminds me of something. Just about ANY caliber can be made to work, and work quite well.

WE don't have to hold out for a 25'06 or a 223, or even a sub-caliber. Repeat. They all work.

Essentially, our arguments that we NEED this or that new gun, are bogus....and, Mrs. Homman, Miss Joyce, don't let these guys tell you any different. Buy them golf balls; by the dozen.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2005 02:17 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Traitor

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2005 02:50 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
You sure are sucking up awful hard. Is Nancy still pissed about you showing up a day late and not even calling home on your anniversary?

I'm thinking you need to take her back to Hawaii for a couple of more weeks. Have you bought her any diamonds lately?

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2005 03:09 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I'm a traitor, technically. Anyway, it's time you learned to cut them out of the loop.

Tim, who told you about that little mistake? I bet I can guess.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2005 04:37 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Essentially, our arguments that we NEED this or that new gun, are bogus....and, Mrs. Homman, Miss Joyce, don't let these guys tell you any different. Buy them golf balls; by the dozen.

Good hunting. LB

And now, to show the wide range of services available to HM membership, the following transmitted via email.

"Dear webmaster"
Tim showed me a post on a thread that you referred to the wives. I instantly had a response, but after having Tim compose it for me from the kitchen, he said "no" and took the security of "Reply To Thread" off, so please, on my behalf post my response:

If I were able to sell just half of Tim's guns, I could purchase enough golf balls to fill the Pacific Ocean.

thank you in advance.
Joyce

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Todd Woodall
Member # 439

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2005 09:23 PM      Profile for Todd Woodall   Author's Homepage   Email Todd Woodall         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,
I am right with you on the .223 vs. 22-250 argument. I started with a .223 and had some success, then I switched to the 250 and never looked back. You just cant argue with the performance of this round. Under 200 the .223 does well but past that I dont feel comfortable with it. I was thinking about getting an AR in mossy oak camo, instead I just sent the old 250 off for a face lift. Looks pretty good too. I will have to post you some pics. I think it even shoots better [Big Grin] .

Take Care,

Todd

--------------------
Texas Predator Pursuit videos
110 hunts on 2 DVD's
www.texaspredatorpursuit.com

Posts: 181 | From: Weatherford Texas | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2005 04:53 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Would you guys believe, I don't even own a .223 anymore? Gave away the last .223 barrel I had a couple months ago.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2005 08:38 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim snuck me an email this morning in which he offers his version of the truth, and now I just don't know "who" to believe? [Smile]

I was just thinking, though. Take DAA. Now, he really DOES have more guns than God. When he needs a new gun, I wonder what his secret is?

Hey Dave, exactly how do you get the little woman on board? (as a public service)

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2005 09:01 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Simple. I don't tell her. They all look pretty much alike to her. So when she asks (which is often), I just tell her it's one I've had a long time. Even tell her she has shot it before, doesn't she remember?

Only exceptions, are wild paint jobs, or otherwise just really different looking rigs. Those cost me double.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2005 10:07 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I am so relieved! I just got out of the shower and was thinking....what if Dave takes offense, rather than understanding that I'm only good naturedly kidding him; and (I admit) a bit of jealously.

However, that's the same method I use! She's getting a lot more attentive, though? Don't know how much longer I can get away with it?

Still, I am no where near the point where I give away barrels. [Smile]

Seriously, Dave. I consider the 223 an almost perfect squirrel caliber. Not exotic, by any means, but for sheer volume, bang for the buck, etc. Seems hard to beat on those 800 shot days?

Good hunting. LB

(thanks for being a good sport)

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2005 10:39 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Patrick F. McManus, an American icon if ever there was one, had an article where he would buy a new gun, then disassemble it and throw it in a greasy old cardboard box that he would take home and tell some cock-and-bull story to his wife about how he bought this box of spare gun parts at an auction. Never tried it on my wife before, but I could see it working. Of course, maybe just once. How many times can you pick up a box of spare parts and assemble a new looking rifle from all that junk with nothing left over when you're done? She may have been dumb enough to marry the likes of me, but that doesn't mean she's stupid. [Smile]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2005 11:43 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Calling all wives, calling all wives! [Wink]

They really do think we fall for their stories? Here is a suggestion, take a picture of what they have so if something mysterious shows up, you will know better. I have been fed these same lines but if you are like me you just act like you believe them. We all know men NEVER grow up! [Big Grin]

Mrs. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2005 11:52 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
For a high volume rifle, the .223 really IS hard to beat. Right now, I'm using a .221 and a couple .22BR's for that kind of stuff. But for a lot of high volume loading, cheap once fired .223 brass is the way to go, no doubt.

I still have my dies, and a ton of prepped brass, so it won't be hard to come up with an excuse for another .223 eventually.

- DAA

--------------------

Miss Joyce
Member # 584

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2005 12:50 PM      Profile for Miss Joyce   Email Miss Joyce         Edit/Delete Post 
Mrs. LB
Tried to take the picture, but the wide angle lens is not quite wide enough. Tim bought "another" new gun about 2 weeks ago and I was wondering why he is still hanging onto that empty box. Now it goes to the trash before another one mysteriously turns up.

Miss Joyce

Posts: 33 | From: ****** , AZ | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2005 03:04 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the New Huntmasters, Miss Joyce. Glad to have you on board!

If I hear about any new gear, I will (for sure) let you know..... yeah, right! The weaker sex must stick together; 'cause it's not a fair fight. Tim, the empty box trick never did work very well.

I know one thing; seems like I can't keep a damned thing secret from (you know who?). Can't give up, and give in, though.

But, it's tough. I can't afford diamonds.

Good hunting. LB

edit: GROW UP? what's up with that?

[ February 22, 2005, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Buck
PAKMAN
Member # 579

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2005 03:59 PM      Profile for Buck   Email Buck         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Cdog, nice to hear from a McManus fan. You Pat always had a few gun parts left over after he reassembled it!

I'm new to this site, and like it a lot. I'm new to yote hunting and have already learned a great deal from you guys.

--------------------
Buck

Posts: 5 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2005 05:32 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

That last one was my own fault. I took her with me when I bought that new .243 Win. I bought the rifle with the pocket change I had been saving for the last few years.

A few days later, I got a bonus at work. It came in to be more than 5X what I expected. So I used part of it to buy a new Taurus Revolver in 17 HMR for a trap line gun. Unfortunately for my sake, I was so excited to go try it out when I got home, I took it out of the box and left the box on the bed while I went to go check traps.

I came back to find her holding the box and asking why I needed to buy two guns in a week's time. I tried to explain that the 243 was too big for a trapline gun, and the 17 HMR too small for a calling gun. But she doesn't understand enough about firearms to know what I'm talking about.

Nancy,

Did Leonard ever tell you that I bought Joyce a new pair of earrings that had a diamond for every year we've been married? It's been a couple of years, but we have an anniversary coming up, I may have to do it again. I've always heard a good wife can never have too many diamonds, or too much gold, and I believe it, don't you?

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters