The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » 223 qwon't fire.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 223 qwon't fire.
Thomas
Knows what it's all about
Member # 482

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2005 05:32 PM      Profile for Thomas   Email Thomas         Edit/Delete Post 
Bought a new 700adl 223 trigger, had 9 lbs pull took it to a gun smith set it at 3 lbs took it to have sighted in,, using hp wolf ammo shoot groups at 1 " at a hundred yds. he went and bought soft ammo and it would not fire the primer just make a dent in it.

Also bought a 22-250 a buddy set that trigger with soft nose it shoots groups 1/4 "also on the 223 the bolt is hard to close with a round in it

Posts: 23 | From: Mtn. Home Ark | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2005 05:39 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Try cleaning out the chamber. Sounds like you might have something in there. Are there dents in the brass?

It could be bad primers, but I'm thinking it's more likely the shoulder has been pushed back to far. Try again with different brass.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
GUTPILE
Member # 448

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2005 06:53 PM      Profile for GUTPILE           Edit/Delete Post 
Heard bad things about Wolf ammo. They have a coating of some sort (lacquer) that screws firing up. Coats the inside of the barrel rifiling. I buy bulk 223 fmj from www.impactguns.com I shoot it through my AR-15 and my 700BDL with no problems. It's made by HSM out of Montana. $100 for 500 rnds or so.

--------------------
Guns have two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS.

TOO FEW PEOPLE MAKE TOO MANY DECISIONS FOR TOO MANY PEOPLE

Posts: 132 | From: Curlew Wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2005 08:41 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not very clear on a couple points, but I'll give a stab at it.

First, when you say the ammo dents the primer but didn't fire, it sounds like excessive headspace, and since that cartridge headspaces on the shoulder, the firing pin is only moving the cartridge ahead, in the chamber.

Then, if the bolt is hard to close, that could be too short a throat and perhaps the bullet is being shoved into the rifling? Bullet not seated deep enough would do the same thing.

Other than that, your post isn't perfectly clear to me, I don't understand what the 22-250 has to do with a 223 problem?

I'm not sure, but I think that Wolf ammo is cheap Russian stuff and either the bullet or the case is steel? If it's what I'm thinking of, it's banned from our local range because of causing a brush fire.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jack Roberts
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2005 09:28 PM      Profile for Jack Roberts   Email Jack Roberts         Edit/Delete Post 
GIGO

Jack

Posts: 499 | From: Elko NV formerly MD | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Thomas
Member # 482

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2005 04:36 AM      Profile for Thomas   Email Thomas         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard I have two rifles 223 and a 22-250 bought at the same time, gun smith fixed the 223 trigger buddy fixed the trigger on the 22-250 when you fire the 223 it only makes a dent in the primer [not wolf ammo ] lead nose, will not fire now.I have taken the bolt apart, might not got it tight enough,if you send it back they will charge to for a new trigger, I heard,

Jack what is gigo

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2005 08:10 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leonard I have two rifles 223 and a 22-250 bought at the same time, gun smith fixed the 223 trigger buddy fixed the trigger on the 22-250 when you fire the 223 it only makes a dent in the primer [not wolf ammo ] lead nose, will not fire now.I have taken the bolt apart, might not got it tight enough,if you send it back they will charge to for a new trigger, I heard,

Jack what is gigo

Oh boy. It sounds like you are saying that a friend worked on one of your guns (the 22-250) and you took the 223 to a gunsmith.

I'm assuming that you never tried to fire the 223 until it was returned from the gunsmith, and the purpose was for trigger work?

Yet, you say: "will not fire, now"

Is this because you were attempting to cure the dented primed problem, and took the bolt apart and now it won't fire at all, because you may have assembled it incorrectly?

As far as your next question: if you send the rifle back to Remington, and you have altered the trigger, will they replace it and charge you for a new one? I have heard that said, but I don't know if it's true?

I was in bed last night before I figured out Jack's cryptic and brief message. I think he meant "Garbage in Garbage out"?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

GUTPILE
Member # 448

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2005 06:48 PM      Profile for GUTPILE           Edit/Delete Post 
Huh ?

--------------------
Guns have two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS.

TOO FEW PEOPLE MAKE TOO MANY DECISIONS FOR TOO MANY PEOPLE

Posts: 132 | From: Curlew Wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2005 07:46 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
GIGO is an antiquated term from the dark ages of computers, and perhaps he means that the quality of the things we employ, determines the results? Jack?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Jack Roberts
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2005 09:54 PM      Profile for Jack Roberts   Email Jack Roberts         Edit/Delete Post 
GIGO

The inputted information was insufficient to get a good output.

There are many people here who can do a pretty good job of diagnosing rifle problems, but we require accurate descriptions of those problems.

Good Input=Good Output
Garbage in=Garbage out

I am not picking on Thomas, just trying to point out that without the details, we can only guess.

Jack

Posts: 499 | From: Elko NV formerly MD | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Thomas
Member # 482

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2005 02:02 PM      Profile for Thomas   Email Thomas         Edit/Delete Post 
went to day where the guy was sighting in my rifle [223 that wouldn't fire] we found out that I had took the bolt apart and not put it back correctly it was loose [bolt] he turned it a complete round and lined it up and it works perfect.I was told by a gun smith to take the bolt apart every time I shoot it I have found out that is not true. thank you guys very much.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters