The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » 22-243AI

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 22-243AI
Hawkeye
Knows what it's all about
Member # 216

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2005 03:52 PM      Profile for Hawkeye   Email Hawkeye         Edit/Delete Post 
I have new rifle in 22-243AI Im going to try 75 grain amax any suggestions on powders and how much to start.
Posts: 71 | From: Tucson,AZ | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jack Roberts
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2005 06:27 PM      Profile for Jack Roberts   Email Jack Roberts         Edit/Delete Post 
You could start with the 22-243 data and work up. With the heavier bullets a powder slower than 4831 will probably give best results. I would start with N165 or N170.

http://www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/w22243m.html

A little advise;
Do not take very long to get a load worked up and use your fireforming loads for hunting. That is a barrel burner extraordinaire. With that fast twist barrel you will be very lucky to get 600 rounds before you start blowing up bullets.

Jack

Posts: 499 | From: Elko NV formerly MD | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2005 06:56 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
And sound advice, I might add.

Before you go into a cartridge such as this; (assuming it's purpose is a hunting application) you should already have settled on your load, and components. And it's a good idea to fireform with a junk barrel cut with the same chambering reamer, saves some barrel life.

Good luck, LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
brad h
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2005 12:36 AM      Profile for brad h   Email brad h         Edit/Delete Post 
Hawkeye

Who built this rifle, and did they give any load recommendations, considering you bought it new?

The reason I ask is I'm looking to drastically upgrade my out of the box Ruger coyote gun, and one of the options is an 8 twist .22-243. I probably pull the triger 30-40 times per year, so barrel life isn't/won't be a issue. The individual I'm talking to who builds these things has the dies as well as a lot of good starting load info for this chamber.

It would seem reasonable to me that whoever would put together a .22-243 AI would at least be of some assistance with a starting load? Maybe not, I don't know, but I'd hate to go into a project like that blind, especially considering the barrel burner that gun is.

I'm not very gun knowledgeable, so I'm trying to find out everything I can before hand. If I'm still not content, I'll go with something I know like a VSSF 220 Swift.

By the way, if you picked that gun up used all bets are off lol!

Brad

Posts: 346 | From: Glendive MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hawkeye
Member # 216

Icon 1 posted March 09, 2005 08:07 PM      Profile for Hawkeye   Email Hawkeye         Edit/Delete Post 
Its a Savage it was a 22BR wanted a repeater for coyoting sent it to Sharpshooter had it rechambered it has an 8 twist. It wont be shot much once its dialed in wanted something that could reach out and short on money so thats the route I went could have went with 22-250AI someone talked me into this round instead.
Posts: 71 | From: Tucson,AZ | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
sparkyibewlocal440
Member # 397

Icon 1 posted March 13, 2005 07:41 PM      Profile for sparkyibewlocal440   Email sparkyibewlocal440         Edit/Delete Post 
No need to piss away it's short barrel life by fire forming brass with bullets.Using inert material is the way to go.
Posts: 170 | From: So. Cal | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters