The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » 22 hornet

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 22 hornet
foxhunter69
Knows what it's all about
Member # 617

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2005 03:06 PM      Profile for foxhunter69   Email foxhunter69         Edit/Delete Post 
how accurate are the factory loads for the 22 hornet and would you suggest it on yotes, fox and bobcats at 100-300 yards?
Posts: 16 | From: VA beach VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2005 05:09 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
No, the Hornet is not known for accuracy and is practically worthless as a 300 yard coyote gun. If you kept your shots inside 100 yards, it may be adequate for gray or red fox? Mostly, that chambering should be used for squirrels and cottontails.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hawkeye
Member # 216

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2005 05:32 PM      Profile for Hawkeye   Email Hawkeye         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my calling buddies used one this season maybe a little bit of last year as well very good out to just over 100 yds and it is plenty accurate 3 shots about 1 inch 46 grain Winchester hollowpoints from Ruger with 20 inch barrel.
Posts: 71 | From: Tucson,AZ | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
foxhunter69
Member # 617

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2005 05:44 PM      Profile for foxhunter69   Email foxhunter69         Edit/Delete Post 
most of my shooting will be at greys and reds out to 150 yards and the occasional bobcat and yote at 150 yards

[ April 06, 2005, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: foxhunter69 ]

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2005 08:12 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonards half right, it's certainly not a 300 yard gun:)
Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2005 09:05 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Now, I personally know of at least 2 AZ guys who use the Hornet as their coyote carry gun. Of course, they don't take 300 yd. shots. They don't need to. They know how to call them in for close up shots.

I shoot a Hornet. I've ranged a wheelbarrow full of PD's taken at 200+ yds. with it. It doesn't have the horsepower to risk on a coyote at that distance, but I wouldn't hesitate to take one at 100 yds or less.

Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2005 10:12 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
NASA,

two dudes in AZ that use a Hornet as their prime coyote gun is hardly a solid testimonial. I probably know a thousand guys that prefer a 22-250. And, that's a conservative estimate.

I know, that doesn't prove anything, either. We all should use whatever we feel comfortable with.

But. When a newbie asks about using a Hornet for cats and coyotes and fox, out to 300 yards; I have to recommend a little more gun.

What do you say, Tom?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jack Roberts
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2005 10:56 PM      Profile for Jack Roberts   Email Jack Roberts         Edit/Delete Post 
The Hornet was fantastic when introduced 75 years ago. Nothing else could touch it. It is not 1930 anymore, there are better chambers available now.

Jack

Posts: 499 | From: Elko NV formerly MD | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
foxhunter69
Member # 617

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2005 11:07 PM      Profile for foxhunter69   Email foxhunter69         Edit/Delete Post 
i know there is better calibers but i am gettin a 223 also but i cant have that much power where ill be hunting with the hornet ill use the 223 at the sand pit
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2005 07:49 AM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
LB, you're right , of course. And I would never "recommend" a Hornet as a primary coyote gun. I just wanted to point out that they are capable of taking a coyote "under certain circumstances", and they will kill a PD at 250 yds.

Definitely not an "all around gun", but then neither is my .17HMR, .22mag, .220Swift, .223, .243, .270, 30.06, .308, or .44mag carbine. I don't want to own just "one" gun. Just like "one" fishing pole cannot be used for all kinds of fish, one gun is never enough. [Wink] They're just too much fun to limit yourself to only one.

[ April 07, 2005, 07:56 AM: Message edited by: NASA ]

Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2005 08:34 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
foxhunter, i haven't shot factory loads in 25 years so I don't know what is currently available. I do know that I tried the Win 46 gr. load back then and was not confident in it's consistant performance. Handloading Sierra or Nosler Hornet bullets made a different performer. I had it reamed to K-Hornet many years ago and that turned it into an entirely different gun.
I was watching video of Tyler shooting a coyote with it when he was 8 years old. Offhand shot at 135 yards put it down but in all honesty that is about the confidence limit for me with that cartridge. Nice and quiet and a great choice for developed areas and I would happily use it if I knew I could keep the coyotes less than 100 yards.

IP: Logged
Steve Craig
Lacks Opposable Thumbs/what's up with that?
Member # 12

Icon 1 posted April 10, 2005 09:11 PM      Profile for Steve Craig           Edit/Delete Post 
Reload it with 10.5 gr. of IMR 4227 and a Hornaday V-Max in 40 gr. and you will have a very accurate and deadly fox caliber. Keep your coyote shots to under 100 yards and it will due in a pinch if one shows up.
Steve

--------------------
Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction. - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 442 | From: Cottonwood,Az, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted April 11, 2005 07:58 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
fox hunter in virginia like here in pa. theres not many places for a long shot unless your in farm land.your 22 hornet will do just fine for close up shots but i think if you want a good coyote gun i would buy something with a little more punch for long shots.I agree with leonard to a point about using what your comfertable with.I had a shooter using a 270 i think that was to much gun.He shot one of the nicest coyotes i ever called in 3 times.Nothing salvagable but the tail..I use a 243 and sometimes i think its a little to big.
Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
foxhunter69
Member # 617

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2005 04:43 PM      Profile for foxhunter69   Email foxhunter69         Edit/Delete Post 
well here in va beach you cant use anything over .22 cal my shots can be out to 400 yard i got access to wildlife property
Western Rifleman
Member # 393

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2005 05:06 PM      Profile for Western Rifleman   Email Western Rifleman         Edit/Delete Post 
I re-chambered my Hornet to a .22 K-Hornet ... run a 35 gr. V-Max with a full charge of Lil Gun.

Its an accurate (1 min. or better) and Potent combination!

Try it, you'll Like it! :-)

Cas

Posts: 26 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2005 07:23 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
If you can get shots out to 400 yards and only a 22 caliber is allowed I think a 22.250 would be a good investment

Then if you ever got a chance to get out west in that open country you would have a very fine coyote rifle with you

By the way what do you use on wild hogs down there....? I know they are there cause i got run out of the woods by them one night

foxhunter69
Member # 617

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2005 04:31 PM      Profile for foxhunter69   Email foxhunter69         Edit/Delete Post 
12ga slug gun with 3.5" sabot slugs or a 10 ga whichever my family isnt using
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2005 04:54 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a good dose of medicine for a wild boar...
foxhunter69
Member # 617

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2005 11:49 AM      Profile for foxhunter69   Email foxhunter69         Edit/Delete Post 
yup its nice to have a couple of buckshot loads just in case u cant hit them with the slugs if they are charging

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters