The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » 204 ruger (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 204 ruger
albert
Knows what it's all about
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2005 10:46 PM      Profile for albert   Email albert         Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody here have any expierence with the 204 ruger? good? bad? what bullets?

Lots of talk looking for some qualitive data.

thanks
albert

--------------------
for what it's worth, eh!

Posts: 195 | From: Parkland, saskatchewan, canada | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2005 12:01 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
What's your application, Albert? (as if I didn't know) Fur hunting large predators?

You know it will take a real good bullet, not many choices, at this stage.

I don't know? Hope some member has a little input for ya!

Man! I'm really seriously considering paying you a visit this year. How would I get a wolf pelt back home with me? Easy, hard, impossible?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2005 01:21 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Bought one a few months ago.Very flat shooting,VERY accurate(1/2 inch groups all day long)light recoil.I love the way it shoots.Bullet to use? [35 Grain Berger Match] no question.If you can find them. [Frown] The B.C isn't the best (.191) but it will shoot good out to 250 to 300 yards or so. It will be my primary calling rifle now. [Wink] I am going to put it through an extensive test next year so I will let you know how it turns out.All and all though it is a fun little rifle to shoot.GOOD HUNTING C.O

P.S I heard Nosler is supposed to be coming out with a bullet or bullets with a high B.C. (high .200's)FWIW

[ May 06, 2005, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curt2u
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted May 07, 2005 08:33 AM      Profile for Curt2u   Email Curt2u         Edit/Delete Post 
Try this link albert http://www.rugerhunting.com/ There is some ok info over there. Not as many field reports on coyotes as I was hoping but some good info about the .204 cal. Some groundhog reports too.

I just bought a .204 a month ago. Rem 700 SPS. Shot it for the first time last weekend. Like UTcaller said, it was accurate and recoil was very light. I'm going to give it a try on coyotes this fall. Heard mixed reports on how it performs on them. That is one reason I bought a .204 so I could see for myself how it does. The things written leave a fella pretty confused. I think it's effectiveness is going to revolve around the development of some good bullets like Leonard said. When I bought my .204 I was actually shopping for a .220 Swift. There were only a couple available. Found a bunch of .204s though so I decided to try one. Takes a bit of tooling up to get going. Unlike the .220 Swift that I already had brass, bullets, and everything for, a guy has to start from scratch with the .204. New brass (which was a chore to acquire) , bullets (limited selection), new cleaning rod, dies, case trimming pilot, etc. Would have been much cheaper for me to get the Swift. Now that it is all done I'm looking forward to giving it a try though. Fun to try new things out. I figure it will make a good groundhog gun for the kids if it doesn't excel as a predator rifle.

Good hunting

Posts: 236 | From: NW | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 07, 2005 12:37 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Curt,I heard all the hype both positive and negative about the .204 so I thought I better try it for myself.It's funny how alot of people will form a hardcore opinion with out even trying it first.Some people on some of the boards are positive it is not close to enough gun for coyotes(you are guaranteed to get lots of runners) [Roll Eyes] Then on the black board they say it is way to much gun for coyotes(you'll blow huge holes in them) [Roll Eyes] So I will give it a try and see for myself.I've even seen a few people shoot a FEW coyotes and had a couple runners and give up.I plan on using mine for atleast all of next year.Try afew different bullets to see how it will work out.Then Like Curt said I will base an Opinion and either use it or not.GOOD HUNTING C.O

[ May 07, 2005, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 07, 2005 12:56 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Good deal, Chad. Then I may (quite possibly) pick one up used, and find out for myself. [Wink]

Well, here's the thing. It is a light fast bullet. What don't we know about light fast bullets?

Will it find a nitch? Probably fit in a range between squirrels to possibly moderate range coyotes...........................with the correct bullet?

I'm just pulling your leg, buddy. I hope it works out for ya!

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2005 12:22 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,I here what you're saying.Only time will tell.I have shot a 22-250 for alot of years,and it has been a real leap of faith to try something new(different).But I really think this caliber is for real.Especially if Nosler steps up and puts out a couple good bullets in .20 cal.With a B.C in the .285-.290 range.I think it would be a great gun for coyotes from 0-400 yards.I also believe it will be very effective for coyotes 0-250 yards with the 35 grain Berger Match(B.C .191)Like I said only time and trial and error will tell.I will definitely keep everyone informed on how it is performing.With an honest report and no unfactual hype.GOOD HUNTING C.O
Curt2u
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2005 04:42 PM      Profile for Curt2u   Email Curt2u         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a chance to get out and shoot a few groundhogs with the .204 yesterday. I was impressed. The little 40gr. bullets were opening up the hogs much like my 22-250. The place I was shooting at was not very user friendly for shots much farther than 150 yards unfortunately. I know this is no indication of how it will perform on coyotes. I really like the new rifle though. Can't wait to try it for calling.

Good hunting

Posts: 236 | From: NW | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2005 07:15 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
I've not shot the rifle myself, but I've called a few in to be shot by others with a .204 I can't remember any of them getting more than just a couple of feet from the point of impact, and no fur damage at all.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
albert
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted May 16, 2005 09:24 PM      Profile for albert   Email albert         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies. I imagine that I will have a 204 by next winter. One fellow that I have become acquainted with bought a 700 vls in 204 last January claims to of killed 72 coyotes with it by the end of Feb. Used to shoot a swift says that he will never go back. Used Factory 32 grain Hornady v-max.

A benefit that he claims is that he killed more doubles with it. Why? Possibly because it is quieter? Says that he doesn’t get the bang flop like the swift quite often it’s a yelp flop, or they are more likely to go into a spin. Possibly the second one stops and takes a second look? Ideas?

Leonard if you are serious about coming drop me an e-mail.

--------------------
for what it's worth, eh!

Posts: 195 | From: Parkland, saskatchewan, canada | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Yoteboy
Member # 534

Icon 1 posted May 18, 2005 03:20 AM      Profile for Yoteboy           Edit/Delete Post 
Albert,

Did the guy who killed the 72 with the 204 happen to mention what kind of damage was done to the fur with those little bullets. Did they even exit? I know it would depend on how close he shot them at, but did he have any big holes in the pelts? I guess I'm wondering if he thought it was a fur friendly gun?

Posts: 15 | From: Saskatchewan | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
albert
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted May 18, 2005 11:17 AM      Profile for albert   Email albert         Edit/Delete Post 
This fellow thought that is was very fur friendly. To quote him “ I’m not scared to shoot them twice if I have to, there still won’t be any holes in them.” Longest shot claimed was 394 steps, majority shot much closer. Interesting enough this fellow had tried the .17 rem. and had written it off as a proper coyote gun.

--------------------
for what it's worth, eh!

Yoteboy
Member # 534

Icon 1 posted May 18, 2005 08:16 PM      Profile for Yoteboy           Edit/Delete Post 
Any idea why he also shot them with the smaller bullets? He obviously did well, just wondering why.
Posts: 15 | From: Saskatchewan | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
albert
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2005 11:45 AM      Profile for albert   Email albert         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably because that was all that was available when he bought the gun. liked them so he stuck with them.

--------------------
for what it's worth, eh!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2005 08:38 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I sure like the way the 32 grain vmax factory ammo shoots(1/2 inch and under groups).I was very impressed when I first shot them.I am planning on trying them a little on coyotes this fall.Along with some 35 grain berger reloads.GOOD HUNTING C.O
coyotekid
PAKMAN
Member # 656

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2005 08:23 AM      Profile for coyotekid   Email coyotekid         Edit/Delete Post 
is the 204 good in the wind and can u shoot very far wiht it i live in kansas and in is pretty windy i was thinking about getting a 223 but some ppl said that the 204 would be better because of the wind what would be beter? a 223 204 22-250
Posts: 8 | From: kanasa | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2005 11:46 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely think the 204(40 grain) will be superior to the 223 and on par with the 22-250,as far as wind drift and flat shooting trajectory goes.As far as energy the 22-250 at 3600fps with a 55 grain bullet has(1590lbs at muzzle) will hold the edge to the 204.The 204 however with it's(1360lbs at muzzle) has more energy than a 223 even with a 55 grain bullet(1282 lbs at muzzle).So it all depends on what you're looking for in a rifle.I have shot a 22-250 for coyotes for the last 18 or so years and it has been a hellava gun and a damn good coyote killer.The verdict is still out with me and my new .204,time will tell. I plan on shooting the hell out of it this fall for coyotes. [Wink] FWIW GOOD HUNTING C.O
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2005 01:11 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Silverfox posted some ballastic charts comparing the .204 with .223 .22/250 and .223 WSSM over at PM several months back and the .204 sure looked good on paper. Like UTcaller said, with the 40 grain bullet the .204 performed better than the .223. When compared to a .22/250 using a 55 gr V-max The .204 using a 40 V-max had a full two inches less drop at 400 yards and 3 inches less wind drift. The .22/250 did have 50ft-lbs more energy at 400 yards.

I did notice several .204's in the classifieds at PM recently. Most had hardly been shot from the sounds of it. I wonder why guys are already selling them?

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2005 01:55 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
The 32 grain vmax bullets in the .204 ruger are alittle closer to the .223 ballistics(50 grain vmax) as far as energy.32 grain vmax(1268 lbs muzzle)and 50 grain vmax(1209 lbs muzzle).As far as trajectory there is really no contest.The .204 eats up the .223.The .204's trajectorys are as follows 0.6" high at 100 yards,0.7" high at 150 yards,0.0" at 200 yards,-1.5" low at 250 yards,-4.1 low at 300 yards,-13.2 low at 400 yards.The .223's trajectorys are 1.2" high at 100 yards,1.3" high at 150 yards,0.0" at 200 yards,-2.6" low at 250 yards,-6.9" low at 300 yards,and finally -21.2" low at 400 yards.So I think the 204 is for real and is here to stay.When the supply catches up to the demand of this new caliber then people will truly see all the advantages there are to the 204.FWIW GOOD HUNTING C.O

[ May 21, 2005, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Dogleg
Member # 662

Icon 1 posted June 02, 2005 09:45 AM      Profile for Dogleg   Email Dogleg         Edit/Delete Post 
Albert,
Is Rob still going ahead with the .204/250 Ackley project? I had kind of thought you were involved with that one? BTW, we have a call maker, barrel maker and friend in common.Strange that we have never met.Perhaps someday.
Dogleg

Posts: 30 | From: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 02, 2005 09:51 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the Nerw Huntmasters, dogleg. Glad to have you on board. Albert knows his stuff.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dogleg
Member # 662

Icon 10 posted June 02, 2005 01:37 PM      Profile for Dogleg   Email Dogleg         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,
Thanks for the welcome, I have been lurking for months and thought I should come on in.Albert and his partner Rob definitely know their stuff. I have known the second for years, and have been hearing "Albert stories" about as long. They are good alright.
Knowledgeable hunters seem to congregate on this site,which is appealing. My own experience pales by comparison, but I did manage to break 100 this year for the first time. More by persistance than talent though. Thanks again for the welcome!
Dogleg

albert
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted June 02, 2005 06:13 PM      Profile for albert   Email albert         Edit/Delete Post 
Dogleg, I think I know who you are and I have been hearing "Mike" stories for as nearly as long. You are modest. I am quite sure we will meet sooner than later. The problem right now is that I don't have the $ or time to run in your crowd. Time = $.

To be accepted here, all you have to is state the facts. There is too much experience here to bullshit. Don’t try to tell people what you have experienced is the absolute. Just tell what you have seen and they will interpret on their own. Questions are more than welcome.

Personally I have come full circle on some of the ideas that I have felt to be truths. Thank goodness that there is a lot of thick skin on this board.

There are more than a few people on this board that have been kicked off of other BBS, because they felt that the truth was more important than personal gain. Personally I have seen a lot of their expertise in action. Far as I am concerned the rest of the BBS are a joke. i.e. “I feel that a my 17 hum zinger is the best coyote cartridge out there. I shot a coyote and killed it. Proof that it is absolutely the best”. Statements like that won’t get you to far on this board.

PS. As far as I’m concerned if the story is worth telling, it’s worth telling your real name, only adds to the value.

PSS

except for Bomba

[ June 02, 2005, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: albert ]

--------------------
for what it's worth, eh!

albert
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted June 02, 2005 06:43 PM      Profile for albert   Email albert         Edit/Delete Post 
Dogleg to answer the 20/250 ackley question I'm sure that it will happen, just don't think that it will be this year.

--------------------
for what it's worth, eh!

Dogleg
Member # 662

Icon 7 posted June 02, 2005 07:45 PM      Profile for Dogleg   Email Dogleg         Edit/Delete Post 
Albert,
You have surmised correctly, course my email address is my name so that isn't real hard. There are a few members on this board who know me as Dogleg, so I think that I may let that ride for a bit.There's always the chance to sign on at the bottom.
I'm not sure what crowd I run in, but regretably have some experience with running in circles LOL. $ sure aren't mandatory, experience and enthusiasm are the only currencies worth having anyway. Nobody has enough time.These things have a way of ebbing and flowing, you will back on your game soon enough!
For a while it seemed like everyone I met or talked to was asking if I knew you. Ted Gaillard, Robb and Bill amoung others. Did Ted ever finish that 6 BR for you? He's got my STW now for a pipe and .312 neck.A Jewel trigger awaits too.
I will probably pick up a SPS in .204 for the fur season, it's a cheap way to try the caliber for the price of an action.My boy will need something soon anyway. BTW, did Rob ever give you any of that copper juice? If not we'll get that fixed up asap.
Truth and the pursuit of knowledge do tend to go together, don't they? [Big Grin] Sorry for hi-jacking your thread. [Wink]
Mike (aka Dogleg)

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters