The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » 22 rifle ammo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 22 rifle ammo
Melvin
Knows what it's all about
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2005 12:43 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a good buy on a 22 Remington Wingmaster pump and thought i would clean out some of these ground hogs around here...I bought a box of shells for it and every few shots,one of the shells would make a light sounded crack..I went and bought a box of another brand and once again i would here the light crack every few shots,'others did the same..Seems like they never improved on the standard 22 rounds!..Now i want to try some of there better grade shells..Anyone have experience with any of the better rounds they make?,i would appreciate there experience with them and advice...I know this sounds like a little small calliber for ground hogs,but all my shots would be head shots under 75 yards.
Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
GCrock
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2005 01:54 PM      Profile for GCrock   Email GCrock         Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin,
Give the CCI Velocitors a try. We switched to them for raccoons, they do a nice job of putting them down fast. Inside 75 yards, they should be plenty accurate for G'hogs. And they will hit pretty hard too. Good luck--sounds like an interesting rifle you got. Enjoy.

Posts: 17 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2005 02:32 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
I have good luck with Remington Yellow Jackets. They shoot good and hit hard as well.

I have a 22lr that does good with the Rems, but will shoot little bugholes with that $9 Eley Match Plus Extra. I didnt know how many different types of high dollar match ammo there was til I started trying to find a load for it. I spent a ton on a box at a time and this was the best one. Bad thing is, the bullets are not good for killing anything. No expansion at all. It wasnt even good for shooting bullfrogs.

Andy

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Outdoor Tripp
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2005 02:36 PM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin,

I highly recommend the Remington .22 Holiday Mug gift-pack.

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com
"All great truths begin as blasphemies."

Posts: 805 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2005 03:32 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
GCrock,...I will check and see if any of the sporting goods around here carry them..Thanks

Tripp,...I recommend,you don't give any recommendations...LOL...Holiday Mug Gift-Pack?..Humph!

The Outdoor Tripp
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2005 03:36 PM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin,

I'd never steer a fellow outdoorsman wrong.

Just make sure ya get all the rounds out before pouring your coffee.

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com
"All great truths begin as blasphemies."

Posts: 805 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2005 05:32 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Try CCI Velocitors or Winchester Power Points. The Velocitors have a 40 grain HP bullet moving at over 1400 fps the Power Points have a 40 grain HP bullet going at around 1285. The PP's cost about half as much as the Velocitors but you will get more range and thump on a groundhog with the Velocitors.
Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2005 07:30 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys,..The CCI Velocitors shoot very well in the Remington and definitly has more punch...Now for some thinning out!

[ June 26, 2005, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: Melvin ]

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters