The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » A caliber I will never own (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: A caliber I will never own
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 15, 2005 08:54 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
A 30'06 is so ordinary, so unexciting, that I could never see myself paying money to acquire one. Never liked it, can't help it. Decent burial, etc.

What do you REALLY dislike, and why?

(come on, no seventeen bashing, that's too easy)

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted August 15, 2005 09:17 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
30-06 and the 30-30, enough to put me in a boredom induced coma.
Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Knows what it's all about
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted August 15, 2005 10:10 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
Never used a 30.06 and never plan to.why?i guess because,every Tom,Dick and Harry,hunted with one.Not that it isn't a good caliber,just all the talk surrounding it,turned me off...Didn't know there was anyone,besides me,that didn't care for the 30.06

The 270 always got the job done for me.

Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 05:41 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Although I have owned one, and can't swear I won't own one again, I feel the same way about the .223. Too boring for this earth.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Todd Woodall
Member # 439

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 09:58 AM      Profile for Todd Woodall   Author's Homepage   Email Todd Woodall         Edit/Delete Post 
Light Bullets [Mad] Anything under 55 grains doesnt get a 2nd glance in my book, no matter what caliber. If a caliber is introduced and all the bullets are 55gr or less I wont own it.

Todd

[ August 16, 2005, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: Todd Woodall ]

--------------------
Texas Predator Pursuit videos
110 hunts on 2 DVD's
www.texaspredatorpursuit.com

Posts: 181 | From: Weatherford Texas | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 10:15 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Todd, just the place for you: http://www.coyotegods.com/ubb/forum.shtml [Smile]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 10:45 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard. you have a mean streak. [Smile]
Todd, be afraid. Be very, very afraid.

IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 10:54 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Not necessarily, Rich. He gives a free pass to those that let'em prime up before they leave em lay.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 03:26 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Put me down as another who has no desire to own a 30-06. I think the only reason I'd ever buy one, was for a donar action to build something else on.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Todd Woodall
Member # 439

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 03:47 PM      Profile for Todd Woodall   Author's Homepage   Email Todd Woodall         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,
Figured I would ruffle some feathers with that one. Man guys thats a pill I just cant swallow. I know some people love the light stuff, but it makes my stomach turn. Ones own experience speaks volumes. I am not against anyone shooting a "light load", I just wont own one of the pieces of junk. [Wink] I am devulging way to much info to you guys.

I often visit the coyote gods site. It actually was one of the first predator hunting sites I ever got on.

Okay Okay so I forgot you on the list, I am sorry. [Confused] There was a hint dropped in the form of an address, so there may be something headed that direction. So I was told. You are good at those underlying messages. Almost didnt catch it the first, second, or third one. [Big Grin]

Todd

--------------------
Texas Predator Pursuit videos
110 hunts on 2 DVD's
www.texaspredatorpursuit.com

Posts: 181 | From: Weatherford Texas | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 06:52 PM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be the odd man out here... I've never owned a 30-06 and probably never will, but I'd buy one long before I'd buy one of the latest and greatest short action 7mm or 30 cal. magnums ... whatever the current popular acronym is. SAUM, SAM, WHAM, BAM, and thank ya mam, etc...

I must admit that one of those in .22 looked pretty good.

Hard to beat the old standards, like the 30-06, even if we don't want to buy one.

Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 06:59 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
1918A2 BAR 30-06 Can I have one [Cool]
Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 07:06 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You are right, Joe. A 30'06 covers a lot of territory, and if you had but one gun, I suppose it would get the job done; it would have to, wouldn't it?

There's the mystique, in a nutshell; the one gun hunter. That, and daddy fought with one, in the war.

But, there are cartridges that can do things better. A lot of them.

For this kid, a 30'06 makes a good start on a project, if it happens to be in a 700?

Good hunting. LB

first rifle I ever owned was a 270 Winchester

Todd, are you saying that you are a darkside refugee? We can do the secret handshake!

[ August 16, 2005, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 07:23 PM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

Are you saying that you're a fan of the latest cartridge offerings? I ask that question from a practical standpoint, whatever your definition of practical may be.

You know more about that stuff than I'd ever admit to, but I have to admit that I'm not impressed by a couple of hundred FPS here and there.

I'm not a proponent of one rifle - sneak on down to something like a 7 Mag or up to wherever you want to go..... I'll still say that in that caliber range there is still not much to gain for the common hunter over the "plain vanilla" that has been available for years.

R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 08:03 PM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
Any caliber larger than .224.

Randy

Posts: 545 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 08:13 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
I've really thought about this and it all depends on whether I had to be the one to reload that "certain" caliber or not. 17's are too small for my fingers and 300's eat so much power, I would cringe at every pull of the handle. Every caliber has a niche and no caliber fills all niches.

My reloadaphobia would certainly cover all wildcats. Nothing worse than shopping for an Ackley improved in a .243 town.

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 08:38 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds good, ***. But, I doubt it has ever happened.

Guys that shoot wildcats, etc. tend to be a bit anal. Therefore, they carry each rifle and the cartridges for that rifle, and pack them one at a time. Never put a rifle in the truck unless the ammo is with it. Never put ammo in the truck unless I have the gun case in the other hand.

But, as far as what Joe said, I actually agree with him. I have no interest in SAUMs and WSAMs etc. There is and has always been enough factory chamberings to go around, and the prospects of necking existing cases up or down can keep you occupied for a lifetime. They think the world has been holding it's breath, waiting for a magnum case without a belt. BFD

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Joe Manes
Member # 686

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 10:00 PM      Profile for Joe Manes   Email Joe Manes         Edit/Delete Post 
This is interesting.

30-30's draw my ire.

7.62 Russians aint bad in a bolt rifle with a 308 diameter barrel, but the majority of milsurp ammo has tended to degrade them (perhaps unjustly) in my eyes.

Posts: 31 | From: Phoenix | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
brad h
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 10:51 PM      Profile for brad h   Email brad h         Edit/Delete Post 
30-30, and what's the point of a .260?

I AM a one gunner (Swift), but if I did get into sub cals, and not for any perticular purpose, I'd like to have a .14 or an .11.

If you're gonna go small...go SMALL.

Brad

[ August 16, 2005, 11:37 PM: Message edited by: brad h ]

Posts: 346 | From: Glendive MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jrbhunter
PAYS ATTENsION TO deTAIL
Member # 459

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2005 05:14 AM      Profile for Jrbhunter   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I really dislike... 28 Gauge shotguns, 25 caliber pistols, 44 caliber rifles and the Dutch.
Posts: 615 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2005 05:41 AM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
Might as well drag the pistols through the mud while we're at it...

I'll never buy anything more potent than a 44 Mag. One of those fully loaded is all I care to tolerate. I shot a 454 Casull 1x, that was enough for me to say "enough". Hard on arthritic wrists.

I'm not against change but I have no interest in a 50 S&W or whatever the newer offerings are. I saw a cartridge for one of those the other day, it looked like a shortened 45-70 with a bullet with a front end shaped like the business end of a pencil, complete with a polycarnonate tip. 240 grains.

My own personal opinion is that if I need something more powerful than a 44 mag I'll switch to a rifle - even a 30/30 or a 30/06. (how do you insert the sh%&^T eating grins?)

Legitimate exception to above - a special handgun only season that presents a unique hunting opportunity that might justify getting rocked by one of those monsters. Probably not for me, though.

I don't like another caliber & firearm type combination that I'll never own, but I'll save that for when I have more time.

Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2005 06:39 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
250 Savage, 300 Savage, 30-40 Krag and any of the STW's.

Dennis

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
robins
Member # 410

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2005 11:16 AM      Profile for robins   Email robins         Edit/Delete Post 
Another one for the 30-06...just to normal, everyone and their mother has one.

Dislike the 9mm go with a 45.

Thats my two cents.

Posts: 33 | From: Joseph, OR | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alaska Dave
PAKMAN
Member # 565

Icon 1 posted September 11, 2005 03:25 PM      Profile for Alaska Dave   Email Alaska Dave         Edit/Delete Post 
I always said yhat i'd never own a 30-06 and now i'm eating my words. The one caliber that I have no liking to is the 6.5 Rem mag(yeah I had one)

--------------------
Hunt Smart, Hunt Safe

Posts: 5 | From: Southeast Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
varmit_master
PAKMAN
Member # 503

Icon 1 posted September 23, 2005 09:48 AM      Profile for varmit_master   Email varmit_master         Edit/Delete Post 
30 30 and a 270 Because just about every body has one.VM [Smile]
Posts: 9 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters