The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » I caliber I would like to see.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I caliber I would like to see.
Joe Manes
Knows what it's all about
Member # 686

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 10:06 PM      Profile for Joe Manes   Email Joe Manes         Edit/Delete Post 
Ya Know, Leonard started the other thread with rounds we dont like.

So lets go positive and speak of things we might like to see.

For a while, Ive been nursing an itch....and that is .230" or 23 caliber.

Im just wondering what it would do with bullets in the 75-85/90 grain weight range.

And for a while in the '50s there were some 23 caliber wildcats. Parker Ackley even messed with them, and made one of his own.

I cant really say that its practical or that it could offer something 22 and 24 caliber couldnt, but I do believe it would have a following if the bullet and barrel companies would support it even a little.

So what about you? Whats on your wish list for rounds?

Posts: 31 | From: Phoenix | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 10:13 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
I was bit by the .19 bug Joe, got the .19 Calhoon, which is based on the hornet case, now Ive got the itch for the .19-.223. Anything much over .243 is to big for me, in fact, I have nothing larger in caliber than 243 in the safe. I absoultely hate anything 7mm, and the big 30s never piqued my interest. I guess I have killed so many animals with nothing more than the .223, Im stuck in the small caliber world.
Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 10:46 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, for our general application, called predators, a 23 caliber would be a success story, in the field. But, it needs a lot of support from a clueless general public.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2005 06:48 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Since I'm a fan of the 6.5, I'll say a 6.5 Grendel in a factory round(120-140 gr) and in a factory bolt rifle with a 24" or 26" barrel. What the heck was the military thinking when they picked the 6.8 Rem over the Grendal? Idiots! [Confused]

And yes, I do own a 264 Mag( bought in 1969) and a 260 Rem

Dennis

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Knows what it's all about
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2005 06:58 AM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Dennis, My very first big game rifle was a .264 Win mag. I killed alot of stuff with that gun. Probably my all time favorite. But now days I'm kinda like AZ. I bowhunt big game, so no need of anything large. My biggest in the safe is a 25-284 and I built it as a dual purpose rifle. It will work for a coyote rifle in a pinch and in my opinion is an all time great for deer and antelope (all it really is is a short action 25-06). From there I go down in caliber, but I have nothing smaller than .22 cal in the centerfires. I would like to re-barrel my AR to a .204.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
222shooter
PAKMAN
Member # 695

Icon 1 posted August 23, 2005 06:11 PM      Profile for 222shooter           Edit/Delete Post 
neck down a 22 short to about .10 caliber that pushes a 10grain ballistic tip, 1500fps.

--------------------
"Coyote hunting has pretty much taken over my life".

Posts: 6 | From: southern Ohio | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters