The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Pistol shooters

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pistol shooters
2dogs
Knows what it's all about
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2005 04:33 AM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
What are your opinions/experience. On bullit type/design & weights in different barrel lengths? What is the ideal set-up?

Example; A 6" barrel, shooting the same/type of bullit, but different gr. weight?

Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2005 08:06 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
For what use? Hunting or target practice? For hunting, I use a semi jacketed hollow point, but for target practice I use semi wad cutters.

My preferred carry pistol is a Ruger Single action with a 6" barrel. Repeat shots are slower, but not often needed [Wink]

For targets, I use a Colt 1911 I think the barrel is 4"

My wife carries a little titanium Taurus with a 2" barrel. Don't piss her off, she's not a good enough of a shot to make a quick clean kill. I load her semi-jacketed hollow points with Lil' gun powder. Because it is the loudest powder I can find for the gun. If she ever has to actually shoot at someone, I want the muzzle blast to scare the hell out of everyone else around.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2005 09:19 AM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim. I like your choices.

You don't wont to piss my Wife off either. She shot the second highest score in the Orange County Sheriff's Dept. She can put bullets were you don't wont them to start at on purpose. We are covered up with folks from New Orleans. Some not exactly what you wont for new neighbors. Before the wind stopped blowing she was approached by two local low life's in the Wall Mart parking lot. They clamed to be from New Orleans. She was is plain clothes and they demanded money from her. She stuck her hand in her purse and told them her hand was on her gun, not her billfold. She then asked them how much lead they could carry off?. The last she saw of them it looked like they were headed toward New Orleans.

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2005 11:01 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sort of blase' on hand guns, in a hunting application. I use a Ruger Red Hawk, with Hornady XTPs on coyotes, mostly.

Carry, either a 25 Bauer with Glazers, or a Combat Commander with 200 gr. Tournament Masters.

Amusing story. (at least to me)
After a big incident, which I don't remember the details, my wife finally decided to not be a potential victim, and signed up for a course in theory and application. So we needed to buy her something decent.

I asked her what kind of gun she wanted and she replied, without hesitation that she wanted an automatic.

So, I got out a semiauto pistol and also a revolver. I explained in patient detail, the slide, the magazine eject, how to load the magazine, how to chamber a round, work the safety, all that crap; and made her do it, step by step. She was very attentive, not like a guy that would interupt every sentence with semi valid opinions. It was a little difficult for her to operate the slide, but she did it without any complaint, or even a frown.

After that, I picked up that revolver and showed her how to open it and load it and how to pull the trigger.

I have never seen her change her mind so quickly. She now prefered the revolver and that is what she got. A Lady Smith 38 Special with a real hot load of Hornady 125 XTPs.

Of course, she doesn't really know that, because all her training was with mild jacketed target loads.

Same thing as what Tim said, she might not kill you outright, and you would wish she had; but the muzzle blast alone would scare off a whole carload of gang bangers.

Perfect. No more lamb to the slaughter.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2005 02:02 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I should've worded different.

Does a 6" barrel stabilize a heavy-long bullit. Better than a light-weight short bullit? In theory of course [or a perfect World]. Whichever you choose [Smile] .

Thanks for any input.

varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2005 04:51 PM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
2dogs. Bullet stabilization is usually controlled by the rate of twist of the barrel, not the length. Beyond that I can't help with the question you are asking.

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2005 05:02 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
varmint hunter,

Yep, 10-4 on that. I was hoping someone could tell me. Which weight generally works the best, between [light vs. heavy] on a 6" barrel.

Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2005 06:22 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey!,hold it here a minuite,varmint hunter...You know there is such a thing as stabilization of a bullet..As you go lighter the bullet gets shorter and the shorter it gets,the less contact in the rifleings...I have shot 30 caliber guns that wouldn't stabilize,100 and 110 gr. bullets..These bullets would key hole..I don't think this would apply to 2 dogs,hand gun...You can run into this problem on older guns,that the rifelings are wore down.In this case the longer bullet seems to stabilize a bit better. [Smile]
Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2005 06:33 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
that is only to a point. After which, you need a much faster twist. A long heavy bullet with a short bearing surface, such as a 70 grain VLD probably will not stabilize unless the barrel has a 1-8" twist. More normal in a .224" bore is 1-12 or 1-14".

Some, if not most handgun
barrels have rather slow twists, like one in 18 or 1-32" something like that?

I think the best way to pose the question is to ask what twist
is the best choice for a specific bullet weight, by a specific manufacturer....or conversly, state your make and model and ask what range of bullets would work best?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2005 07:14 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Ruger 6" revolver .22 Magnum Single Six.

I'll be on stand-by [Big Grin] .

Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2005 07:51 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
2dogs,since you have a caliber you can't reload for,i would experiment with ammo from different manufacturers..I know it can be a little costly, but handguns can be a little fidgety about what will shoot well in them..Heavy bullet,or light,i would go with what shoots the best in it...being a handgun,your shots should be under 50 yards anyhow.
Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2005 08:08 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
That's the next recourse, Melvin. I wasn't to impressed with my groups, so far. More experimenting for sure. I would limit my shots less than 100' for a fatal hit on coyote. With me at the helm, anyways.

non-gunslinger 2dogs

Dogleg
Member # 662

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2005 08:10 AM      Profile for Dogleg   Email Dogleg         Edit/Delete Post 
2dogs,
The Single Six's are known for being finicky, your best course of action is just to keep trying different ammo until you find something that it likes. The Single Six has an interesting variation from normal for rimfires. Since groove diameter of .22 rimfires is normally .222 and .22 Mag is .224 Ruger had to compromise and make the convertible six guns with the .224 barrel. To the best of my knowledge they made all the revolver barrels in the mag size in case someone got a hold of a Mag cylinder. I did exactly that, and the bore is .224. They are rarely tack-drivers with the 22 LR, but may shoot the Mags better. It may not shoot anything that well.
The two Mark 11 .22 autoloaders that I have had were great shooters with practically anything.I still have one. My revolver is very poor by comparison. Their barrels measure .222 groove to groove.
Come to think of it, none of this will be of much help to you, just write it off as Ruger trivia! [Big Grin]
Mike

Posts: 30 | From: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2005 08:42 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused. I thought the Canadian Government didn't trust their citizens with handguns?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2005 09:12 AM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info. I don't think, coyotes should fear me over this gun. Maybe, I should just stick to grinnies, with it [Big Grin] .
Dogleg
Member # 662

Icon 10 posted September 05, 2005 12:29 PM      Profile for Dogleg   Email Dogleg         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,
Simply owning handguns in Canada is no problem at all. If you are legally allowed to own firearms at all; i.e. no history of violent crime, then you can register hanguns over the phone. The only legally accepted reasons for owning them are target shooting and collecting, and actually wearing them anywhere other than the range will get you a one way trip to the "crow-bar hotel"
So you can have them, and shoot them but in the end there is no purpose. Shooting paper with my rifles might make me a better hunter, the same applies to my shotguns. Getting good with a pistol might win me a tin cup to put on a shelf, but thats about it. Target shooting as an end unto itself doesn't interest me. When I can't even carry them hunting or plinking it seems pointless. Having said that I have 8 gathering dust at the present. Does that make me a collector?
Want to hear something ironic? Saskatoon lead the country last year in violent crime and murders per 100,000 of population. I don't even know anyone who has been shot, stabbed, raped, or been the victom of an armed robbery. None. Apparently everywhere else is safer! I do resent being told that I can't carry a handgun, but darned if I know what I would be protecting myself from. The confusion deepens when the government started registering longguns to reduce crime. What crime? My revolvers and pistols are fun and interesting toys, but not real useful ones.
Mike

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2005 12:55 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just poking at you a little bit, dogleg. Basically my statement is correct, the government doesn't trust it's citizens with handguns, except under strict supervision, like I would supervise an eight year old handling a firearm. Some eight year olds.

Years ago, I stupidly drove into Canada with a couple handguns. U.S. Customs was casual about it, but the Canadians were still pissed when I drove up a couple hours later, played a trap game. Turns out there are several places in Bellingham where you can store a handgun and get a receipt check, exactly the same sort of credit card receipt they used to give for gas purchases, but instead of 10 gallons @ X dollars per gallon, it says, 1, 357 Magnum, serial # XXXX.

So, I start over. "Do you have any cigarettes? Any liquor?

Pause, pause, pause.

"Do you have anything to declare" "No"

Pause, pause pause.

"DO YOU HAVE ANY FIREARMS"? NO.

Pause, pause pause.

"Do you have a receipt for checked weapons?"

"Yes, I do"

"Why didn't you say so"?

"You didn't ask"

"We are legitimate sworn Police Officers, don't play games with us"!

"I was not playing a game".

"Then, why did you get in a different line, we communicate; you know"?

"This line was shorter".

......followed by a lot more attitude from the uniformed gentleman in the booth.
<sheesh>

See if I go back soon.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dogleg
Member # 662

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2005 02:16 PM      Profile for Dogleg   Email Dogleg         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,
I wouldn't write the whole country off on the actions of one border guard. Some people can't put a uniform on without turning into a prick.It must be a human nature thing and neither country has a monopoly on it. It has become difficult to take long guns south of the line too. Something about terrorists or something? I was given a generous offer to go down to Montana for turkeys and coyotes but sadly it isn't worth the hassle. Never seen either one of those come to think of it. Turkeys or terrorists. [Wink]
It's all part of restricting individual freedom and increasing the power of the government in the name of "Safety" The same thing is happening in the States. Oh well, maybe they want everyone to stay home. Kinda sad really.
Mike

Joe Manes
Member # 686

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2005 06:34 PM      Profile for Joe Manes   Email Joe Manes         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of handguns, I have been working with a nifty new one. Its made by FN and its called the Five-seveN. I traded a friend of mine a Cooper 21 for it and I haven't looked back. I carry it every day. It can hold 21 rounds, and the bullet weighs 29 grains. It leaves the muzzle at over 2000 fps, and is a very easy pistol to shoot. I am going to start handloading for it soon, and I will experiment with 30 grain Calhoons.

It was a trip getting used to it, I have the larger handguns like the 44 Mag and 45 LC. So when I got the 5-7 I had a terrible time shooting over things I could have hit with my larger handgun.

Posts: 31 | From: Phoenix | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2005 07:17 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Kind of like a miniature .223 in a pistol right?

I finally bought a 17 HMR last winter, in a pistol. Thank God I told the wife it was a toy when I bought it, I sure couldn't justify it even as a trapline gun. But it sure is fun to shoot!

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters