The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » New Toys

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Toys
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 14 posted October 14, 2005 04:55 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
New toys started rolling in today, well actually yesterday.....

Yesterday, my new scope came in. I cant believe I ordered this one, but after using the one I got from Vic, I couldnt find a reason not to. It is a Simmons ATech, 2.8-10. I swore I would never own another after an experience with a cheapy, but this higher end one is good and the price was right. Just couldnt bring myself to buy a Leo when this works so good at a fraction of the cost.

Today, I got 5 boxes of factory ammo, for breaking in and making brass, 200 bullets, Hornady dies and two cleaning brushes in the mail. Tomorrow should be the big day.

CZ 527 American in 204 Ruger.

I cant wait. I have had this thing paid for over a month and havent been able to go get it. Its finally going to be here. I can break in the bbl and maybe even kill a coyote with it this weekend.

Cant wait. New toys are always cool.

[Cool]

Andy

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted October 14, 2005 05:00 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, if anyone has any recipies using 32 gr VMaxs, I would appreciate any help. I dont have any data and I understand its not really all that available at the moment.

Its close enought to a 17Rem, I would think RL15 should be fine, but no data. And, Im not nearly experienced enough to be playing with loads at that extreme without a place to start at least. Wouldnt even attempt it.

Thanks
Andy

--------------------
Andy

Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted October 14, 2005 06:37 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Did he say "recipies"? [Eek!] [Razz]  -

Krusty  -

[ October 15, 2005, 09:08 AM: Message edited by: Krustyklimber ]

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 14, 2005 06:50 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty. Boy, you are really on a roll, today. Did I piss in your corn flakes, or what?

Krusty says; (or would, but he's scared)

you can use the term "recipe" but it makes you sound like a girl.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted October 14, 2005 07:04 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
I dont care. Recipie, load data, powder charge, whatever the hell you wanna call it. Im secure in my manhood.....

You a little shaky there Krusty?? [Eek!] [Eek!]

Andy

--------------------
Andy

Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted October 14, 2005 10:28 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

Nobody pissed in my Cheerios, I guess my humor is a bit off today.  -

Yeah, I guess I am on a roll (but I think you guys are reading way more out of my posts, than there is in 'em).

Andy,

Once I asked for a "recipe", and got my usual village idiot answer. I think cookies or cake, or some such thing was mentioned.

I was just funnin'. [Big Grin]

Good luck with that super-duper BB gun, the .204 definitely looks interesting, the CZ is an awesome platform to build one from as well.

Krusty  -

P.S. Shakey... no man, I am down right SQUIRRELY as an oak tree full of acorns!

[ October 14, 2005, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: Krustyklimber ]

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Timberghozt
Knows what it's all about
Member # 707

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2005 01:13 AM      Profile for Timberghozt   Author's Homepage   Email Timberghozt         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Andy L.If you`ll hit the link in my signature.There is a fella named Melvin Eades on my site that loads for the 204 Ruger and a few others.They can give you some load data.. [Wink]
Gene

--------------------
http://www.handloadersbench.com

Posts: 48 | From: Salado, Texas | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2005 02:10 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty,
Glad you didnt take that the wrong way. Your a good sport. I got to thinkin maybe I shoulda put a smiley face or somethin on there. [Smile]

Timber,
Thanks, I will do just that.

I really appreciate it.

Andy

--------------------
Andy

Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2005 09:21 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Andy,

How's that? [Wink]

Yeah, I am a good sport, looks like you are too.  -

Leonard,

Shooting a sub .22 caliber rifle, makes Andy look like a girl. [Big Grin] [Razz]

I ain't afeared o' nothin'! [Cool]

Krusty  -

--------------------

Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2005 09:29 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Doh... "YOU shoulda used some smilies". I guess I am not all the way awake yet.
I could always use some more smilies, I like the lil guys.

No you didn't need smilies, it was an OBVIOUS joke (and even if it wasn't, MOST of the insults hurled my way are met with humor, I just laugh em off).

Krusty  -

--------------------

Norm
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2005 10:45 AM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
I would suggest that Andy may be loosing his manliness... going from a 17 to a 204... ludacrist... just ludacrist.... could of at least gone to a 19 caliber...

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Posts: 778 | From: Phx AZ | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2005 10:54 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect that they will frisk him for canons, 223AI or 204s, at the front gate, down in AZ. He's really asking for a whoopin'. And, who can feel sorry for him?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2005 11:15 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

Im a big boy, I can take it.....

Besides, Im caring less day by day who thinks what. Im having a pretty good time and kill enough stuff to keep me happy. Im learning as I get older that is what counts. Lifes too short to keep others happy as well.

The way I see it, if Im having a good time, and you can have one being around me, then were doing real good. If not, we probably dont need to be playing together.

[Wink]

Andy

[ October 15, 2005, 11:22 AM: Message edited by: Andy L ]

--------------------
Andy

S.Frame
Member # 89

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2005 10:12 AM      Profile for S.Frame           Edit/Delete Post 
Andy, I haven’t had time to do any real extensive testing, but so far Hodgdon BL-C(2) leads the pack with the lighter bullets (Berger 30, and Sierra 32 BK, and Hornady 32 V-max). I’m calling 30 grains max in my rifle (CZ 527 just like yours) with the 32 grain V-max, and it gives an average muzzle velocity of 3,920 fps out of the 20.5” barrel with very low extreme spreads and SD. 5-shot groups will average about .7 moa if I haven’t had too much coffee. I had a (just one) 200 yard 5-shot group with this load that measured 1.28”!

Not too shabby for light little walk-around sporter, eh?

IMR 3031 shot very well with these bullets too, but it’s long grain extruded powder that crunches through my measure like a big wad of jackstraw. Too bad, but I don’t like to trickle charges so 3031 is out.

The burning rate for Reloader 15 seems to me to be too slow for bullets under 35 grains. I tried it since I have a bunch on hand, but with the 30 and 32-grain bullets, I got huge extreme spreads in velocity, mediocre accuracy, and eyebrow singeing fireballs, although it does well with the 40 grain V-max (28.2 grs. 3,680 fps).

RL-10 is probably on the mark as far as burning rate goes, but I’m all out at the moment. When I get some later this week, I’ll start with about 24.5 grs. and work up from there.

As for primers, I’ve only tried three types: Remington 71/2, Winchester SR, and Federal GM205M’s. The 71/2’s definitely decreased velocity spreads a bit, which hints to me that the .204 likes a hot primer. I intend to try some CCI SR “mag” primers and see what that does to things.

I’ve been bow hunting whitetails like a fiend the past week and a half, but I’ve got a couple rifles to wring out later this week. While I’m at it, I’ll try some more .204 “recipes”, and I’ll let you know how they taste.

Posts: 27 | From: AhiA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2005 11:18 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Damn Shaun,
Youve been a busy man!! Thanks. Im in no hurry. But, like I said, I gotta rely on help. I sure dont have the knowlege or balls to take off loading for something with no data, period. [Smile]

Thanks buddy,
Andy

--------------------
Andy

Norm
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2005 11:43 AM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt that there are any worries about getting frisked in AZ... .. how about some varget behind those bb's... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2005 11:58 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Norm,
You got that 19 up and goin yet? You outta be ashamed shooting something so tiny at coyotes....
[Wink]

Andy

--------------------
Andy

Norm
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2005 01:05 PM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
the 19 is still an up and coming project.... maybe after this wedding I'll get some time... but after the wedding, mother wants to demo the inside of the house and create new..... so who knows..... it may be a shotgun season...

--------------------
Carpe Diem

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters